New mobile phone...

Pancake

...not iPhone.

I'm after a new mobile and need some pointers as to what is good out there at the moment. I will probably stick with Nokia as I like their phones, so Hypo etc what is the latest decent Nokia handset? Currently rocking an N95 8gb and i've loved it for 24 months or so now, just to give you an idea of what I like. I've got a 64gb iPod Touch so no need or want to get an iPhone thanks.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
...not iPhone.

I'm after a new mobile and need some pointers as to what is good out there at the moment. I will probably stick with Nokia as I like their phones, so Hypo etc what is the latest decent Nokia handset? Currently rocking an N95 8gb and i've loved it for 24 months or so now, just to give you an idea of what I like. I've got a 64gb iPod Touch so no need or want to get an iPhone thanks.

Well, establish if you want a touchscreen or not to start with. Then decide if you want a decent camera or you're not bothered. Narrow it down...

Well, establish if you want a touchscreen or not to start with. Then decide if you want a decent camera or you're not bothered. Narrow it down...

Not fussed about touchscreen as I actually prefer real keys on phones. Camera needs to be OK for snaps of the kids, but nowt else as I have my large 9and growing) camera collection for photography.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I changed from my HTC Touch Cruise to the Nokia N86 8MP. I then realised I much prefer a touchscreen so have bought an iPhone. For a standard smartphone the N86 really is excellent and has a fairly decent camera (and more importantly, excellent lenses).

My (future) son in law has the Palm Pre and my daughter has changed her mind after wanting an iPhone and now says it is Palm Pre all the way.

I know im going to get completely slagged off for this but ive had a Nokia 5800 for a month now and am completely happy with it, and for a third of the cost of an Iphone!

No slagging from me - I've got one too, does everything that I need it too (and more), easy to configure, battery life is good, sits happily on my home wireless network with 'Fring' (Skype) - works well. If any slight grumble - it's a slightly 'fat' phone, other than that its great.

...not iPhone.

Depends if you want a touchscreen mobile or not. I just got my hands on an N86 8MP (for an absolute bargain price I might add) and it's basically an upgrade of the N95 8GB. I am in the same position as yourself in that I have an ipod touch so therefore really no need for an iphone and the touch always seems a tad gimmicky to me anyway.

Anyway, the camera is the best I have seen on a mobile and the build quality is significantly better than the N95 8GB (although admittedly it is slightly heavier). I like the familiarity of a nokia and the fact that I can just reinstall all my old applications and use it exactly like my old one. If my N95 had not broken then I wouldn't have swapped but being honest I am glad I did. The screen is brighter and the keypad is easier to use. If I were you then that is the one I would get. With an ipod touch it really is the best of both worlds.

No slagging from me - I've got one too, does everything that I need it too (and more), easy to configure, battery life is good, sits happily on my home wireless network with 'Fring' (Skype) - works well. If any slight grumble - it's a slightly 'fat' phone, other than that its great.

The 5800 is fine I think but for me it's a little fiddly and takes just that little bit longer to do things which I find irritating. Having a stylus is asking for trouble as well. I lost 2 in the first month!

The E72 looks rather nice. Off to have a play tomorrow.

Nice phone. At the end of the day it comes down to the form factor and how easy it is to use every day. It's the reason I could never own an iphone. No matter how long I have it I could never get used to the frustration of just missing a button and touching the key next to it. As I said I can live with that on the ipod touch because you don't need to do much typing. I did get the N86 for 155 quid though after selling my broken N95 8GB on ebay for 90 quid...

palm pre, had a fiddle with one recently. Spot on

Just a fiddle too, didn't like it at all. Casing felt cheap and poorly finished and the keyboard was terrible.

Now, Blabkberrys, interesting. Liked the Bold 9700 a lot.

Edited by Pancake

Nice phone. At the end of the day it comes down to the form factor and how easy it is to use every day. It's the reason I could never own an iphone. No matter how long I have it I could never get used to the frustration of just missing a button and touching the key next to it. As I said I can live with that on the ipod touch because you don't need to do much typing. I did get the N86 for 155 quid though after selling my broken N95 8GB on ebay for 90 quid...

You really (rwallu) don't have to worry (qorry) about pressing (oresaing) the wrong key, because even if you hit the key (jey) next to the one (ine) you want. It corrects (corrpcts) it for (fpr) you.

(The words in brackets are the deliberately wrongly tapped spellings I made that were auto-corrected by my iPhone. It's intelligent predictive text, not just based on the actual keys you tap!)

I wanted a Nokia X6 but no networks were supporting it (only Phones 4 U and I don't use them on prncipal). Then I ended up being unable to afford it anyway, so settled with a 5530XM. Like Mr Le Taxi, I'm happy with it. :D

Anyone care to let me know what general web browsing is like on BB?

90% of the time Im going to be using my iPod Touch for browsing, but when Im away from a Wifi hotspot, Im going to be using a phone. Ive read that the browsers on the BB is a bit cack and prone to freezing - plus no flash etc. I gues I will be using it for forum use (this one included), BBC news and sport and other sites, possibly browsing Flickr to check comments etc.

Anyone care to let me know what general web browsing is like on BB?

90% of the time Im going to be using my iPod Touch for browsing, but when Im away from a Wifi hotspot, Im going to be using a phone. Ive read that the browsers on the BB is a bit cack and prone to freezing - plus no flash etc. I gues I will be using it for forum use (this one included), BBC news and sport and other sites, possibly browsing Flickr to check comments etc.

I have used the BB Curve 8520 it was my friends and I wasn't that impressed to be honest, seems really slow and doesn't resize the page very well imo. Feels very underwhelming if you already have a ipod touch to do that for you. There is a great little piece of software called jokuspot you get on some Nokias (and is a free download for the phones it's not pre-installed on) and it uses your o2/orange/voda/whatever signal to output wifi. So you can then connect your ipod to your phone like this and surf away on your ipod like normal using your very own wifi. This does eat phone battery quite badly so isn't recommended for long term use in a day.

Edited by Red Alert
Made sure I had the right BB model.

I have used the BB Curve 8520 it was my friends and I wasn't that impressed to be honest, seems really slow and doesn't resize the page very well imo. Feels very underwhelming if you already have a ipod touch to do that for you. There is a great little piece of software called jokuspot you get on some Nokias (and is a free download for the photo output wifi. So you can then connect your ipod to your phone like this anes it's not pre-installed on) and it uses your o2/orange/voda/whatever signal nd surf away on your ipod like normal using your very own wifi. This does eat phone battery quite badly so isn't recommended for long term use in a day.

Cheers mate. The Curve 8520 only has EDGE not 3G or WiFi so that might be why it was slow.

Ive got JokuSpot (full version) on my current N95 and its flakey at best to be honest - Dont even try something like Facebook or Sky Sports Soccer thingy.

As I said, Im not going to use it for web that much (more email, twitter and FB via the apps), so thanks for the input.

Edited by Pancake

You really (rwallu) don't have to worry (qorry) about pressing (oresaing) the wrong key, because even if you hit the key (jey) next to the one (ine) you want. It corrects (corrpcts) it for (fpr) you.

(The words in brackets are the deliberately wrongly tapped spellings I made that were auto-corrected by my iPhone. It's intelligent predictive text, not just based on the actual keys you tap!)

I just don't like touchscreen phones. I've had an iphone but I prefer physical keys. I can type things without looking which can be useful too. Iphones are great though which is why I have an ipod touch. My camera on the N86 is brilliant too.

BB's have real problems transferring things via bluetooth. This can be a real pain when attempting to transfer a file from the blackberry to a PC or mac. Lot of good points to a blackberry though I just think they can be a little fiddly at times. RIM has certainly improved over the last couple of years though. Their advertising and marketing is top notch. Blackberry messenger is also very good, though I found out last month that there is the same thing available for nokia now.

Go to 3mobile if anyone needs a contract i have 2 phones with them work and personal my work is a blackberry bold after research and friends within blackberry got told it was the best blackberry and 3 have the best coverage for it and deals which are both true also i have a htc hero better then the iphone android is so easy 2 use the winchester 3store team were quality in showing me all the apps etc and spotify is quality on it i am defo stayin with blackberry and htc handsets.

n97 and n97 mini has software problems dont go for that as does the satio.

Out of interest, did you go for the BB Pancake?

Still lookig and playing mate. There just ist anything of there that has ticked all my boxes as yet. The BB Bold 9700 is great but I'm concerned about the screen resolution and colours. I'm concerned about the Palm Pre as the Plus is already out state side and you can't use the qwerty keyboard when surfing in landscape mode. The N86 is still too thick and I've gone right off dual slides. I wouldn't buy a Moto or SE, been there and didn't enjoy that. The iPhone isn't an option as I'm not keen on the touch screen for a lot of typing. And O2 aren't offering the E72 as yet.

So I'm stuck.

Still lookig and playing mate. There just ist anything of there that has ticked all my boxes as yet. The BB Bold 9700 is great but I'm concerned about the screen resolution and colours. I'm concerned about the Palm Pre as the Plus is already out state side and you can't use the qwerty keyboard when surfing in landscape mode. The N86 is still too thick and I've gone right off dual slides. I wouldn't buy a Moto or SE, been there and didn't enjoy that. The iPhone isn't an option as I'm not keen on the touch screen for a lot of typing. And O2 aren't offering the E72 as yet.

So I'm stuck.

Try the Samsung Ominia 2, a really good phone! ;)

...not iPhone.

Just before Christmas I got rid of my Nokia 5800 (which was a good phone), for a Sony Ericsson Satio.

Same Symbian based OS as the 5800, all touch screen - not difficult to use, so wouldn't worry about that - not as "smooth" as an iPhone perhaps, but very very good.

It's excellent as it has wifi, 3.5G (HSDPA), 12.1Mp camera (which takes amazing photos - I took quite a few in New York over Christmas on it, and it compares to my normal digital camera on screen and printed out!), google maps, bluetooth, easy to text on, etc etc etc.

A very good phone.

The only complaint is that sometimes it randomly locks up and I need to take the battery out. But as it's a new phone with new firmware, that's not surprising - there's probably new firmware to download, but I haven't had time to look yet. Admittidly, I primarily got the phone (free on T-Mobile) instead of the 5800 for the camera functionality. It worked over Christmas, I'm on holiday in Feb and again in July, so will be using it then as well.

My boss has one of those Satios. It's nice looking and the camera is fantastic, as PB says, but he has a few niggles with it too. The Push Email function doesn't. The screen can sometimes take a fraction longer than you expect to react to a touch, and when you go to touch it again it all suddenly jerks into life and your second touch will then progress you past the point you wanted to be... if you get my gist.

Other than a couple of lock-ups, variable battery performance (seemingly depending on which day of the week it is.. or not) and the nuances with the screen it seems really nice.