screen resolution

mightysaints

Hi All

Strange problem, used my HP laptop as a music server for a party newsyears eve and then ran a separate screen so i could keep the laptop shut and away from drinks etc. Everything worked well untill i unpluged the screen today. When rebooting the laptop the screen comes on but the resolution is strange. The graphics card is set high and at 32 bit but all all looks very washed out and just not as sharp as before. The refresh is set to 60 but will not allow anything higher. I have tried all the settings but it always looks washed out, almost a bit blurred

TFTs are actually designed to run at 60Hz since they don't suffer from latency anything like as much as the old CRTs did.

What resolution is the graphics card outputting and what's the native resolution of the screen itself? If you're not too sure of the native resolution, what model laptop is it?

TFT screens are made up of a specific number of pixels. For example 1280 columns by 1024 rows. Unless you drive that screen with a video output of 1280×1024, the image on screen will be slightly scaled making it appear a bit blurry. It will be most noticable with text.

That laptop has a couple of possible screens with native resolutions of 1280×800 and 1440×900.

I'd hazard a guess that the external screen you attached was a different resolution and video adapter in the laptop has changed its output to match.

Try setting you resolution to 1280×800 and see if it improves. Failing that, next try 1440×900.