Best place to buy a Macbook

thesaint sfc

As Tommo says, refurbs are direct from Apple.

If you know a student, get them to buy the Macbook for you - £100 discount. When I got mine, they were also running an offer where you could get an iPod Nano (then priced £120) for £15 when you bought it in the same transaction. See if they're doing anything similar now...

It's more powerful, probably a bigger HDD as well (although I get by perfectly well with the 80GB one on the standard Macbook). From reports I've read, the battery life on the Pro isn't as good as the standard model though.

All I could see was that the Macbook looked a bit prettier and was able to be expanded to 8GB RAM which I have no interest in doing at all at the moment.

Macbook Pro

13-inch: 2.26GHz

Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB Memory

160GB hard drive1

SD card slot

Built-in 7-hour battery2

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

Ships: Within 24hrs

Free Shipping

£845.25

Macbook

2.26GHz : 250GB

2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB DDR3 memory

250GB hard drive1

8x double-layer SuperDrive

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

Built-in 7-hour battery2

Polycarbonate unibody enclosure

Ships: Within 24hrs

Free Shipping

£750.95

Can only assume that it is the model up :rolleyes: think I'll stick with the macbook!

I'm going to wait for the cost of DDR3 RAM to fall and then upgrade to 4GB myself. Probably only cost me about £25-30 instead of the £74.95 that Mac wanted to charge!

Edited by thesaint sfc

It has arrived :D

HDMI via the display port - check.

How do you use MSN with a webcam? Anyone got to the bottom of that, or can recommend an app that makes it possible? I understand apple are working on a fix.

You cant use Messenger for Mac with webcam but you can if you download aMSN - It's free, does everything like Messenger for Mac and has webcam compatibility

Good move, Enjoy!! :)

You cant use Messenger for Mac with webcam but you can if you download aMSN - It's free, does everything like Messenger for Mac and has webcam compatibility

Good move, Enjoy!! :)

Thanks mate :D

That's kind of what I meant but I was still in Windows Language mode so it was a bit tricky to explain! I'll download it now!

Steve, I never knew you switched across to Mac and, because I value your opinion (and not Essruu's, lol) I would like to ask you for it:

So, do you much prefer Mac to any Windows setup now? Any drawbacks, limitations in your opinions?

Not really.

It's got some clever stuff, but to be honest the only reason I bought it was for the massively extended battery life in comparison to Windows-based laptops, so I can get to London and back every day without having to charge it up between journeys.

I use Windows at work (although I do connect to a Unix-based server quite extensively) and I've still got my Windows PC at home although it's somewhat dated now.

The amount of software available for OS X is very limited, particularly when it comes to freeware (rather ironic when it's built upon a Unix/Linux architecture), and paid-for software appears to be that much more expensive on OS X compared to Windows.

Ultimately, if you're comfortable with Windows and don't really need any of the stuff OS X offers which Windows doesn't, stick with Windows.

Kind of agree with Steve so far. My initial idea was to sell my laptop once I bought my macbook, but I can't really see me doing that now. Or if I do I will have to setup my desktop which is currently used only for playing games, to do some other bits and bobs too. I think Windows is far more useful than Mac, however the response times in Mac and how simple it is to do simple things is immense! I can't wait till I fully get the hang of it and it will help me out in so many ways. I can't understand the logic other than for a photographer/musician to have one of the mac desktops though. Having a simple laptop that turns on instantly and just does work is a serious bonus, but I never see myself deciding to replace my desktop with a Mac. I personally think Windows 7 is brilliant and is just what MS needed to come up with after the mess that was Vista.

Can't believe how utterly ****e their telephone support is.

I asked:

- Is it possible to get a webcam working on MSN?

- I have a customers external hard drive which is formatted to Mac, it has been dropped and has CRC errors but the files are just about still readable - is there a program you can recommend to recover these files / clone the hard disk to a new hard disk?

First question I got the answer 'I don't know, let me just have a google. It appears people are generally saying aMSN or Mercury work'. I said well yes I know that but what about ichat? Will that support it soon? 'I don't know'.

Second question 'I really don't know. Let me just check with a colleague'......'My colleague suggests Disk Warriror'.

I thought I was phoning up Mac Support and would get a load of Essuru Mac Guru's at the end of the phone. I certainly won't be bothering to extend my apple care plan!