6 points from next 2 games?

Clunge

Just because they are older than 22 does not mean they are better

I agree with you John, older does not mean better but my point was that Jan originally said that we needed a balance, using some old heads to help the youngsters along ! So far I think that the balance has not been quite right and perhaps we need a few more oldies, particularly in the spine of the team !

The next 2 home games will tell us a lot about the management and players alike, let's hope it's positive !!!

COYS.

Oh sorry, silly me. As fans we should be chuffed with a 4-1 defeat should we as long as we play good attacking football but are a joke at the back.

Why are some people on here so against critism of the team? If I do a crap job at work I would except critism and get on with it, why the hell shouldn't southampton footballers?

The ease at which they carved us open was riduculous, even before we were down to 10, why are you trying to use that as an excuse? What about Blackpool, correct if I'm mistaken but I remember having 11 on the pitch then and we carved open at ease in that game as well.

I for one will not be happy if we can attack well all season but not score many goals and concede a shed load the other end, get a grip.

1) I am not chuffed, BUT I was far more upset by the way we played against Blackpool, in THAT game we were flat and never played at all. Yesterday, we PLAYED our way back into the game, went down to 10 men and still clawed our way back.

2) I criticised the team after the Blackpool game, and I criticised Lancashire and DMG in post match threads yesterday.

However my criticism was based around points that occurred on the PITCH and the fact that Ollie should never have been out there without experience alongside him and DMG is not "hungry" or experienced in and around the box. I will NOT mix criticism of the team in a MATCH with blanket criticism of everything related to SFC/SLH/Management/The global economic crisis and pure bad luck which is inane, pointless and will do NO good because there are over 600 posters on here who ALL have DIFFERENT opinions on what to do next and would STILL criticise even IF TSW took the club over. Destructive, point scoring criticism gets us nowhere, it's REALLY an effective way to implement improvement to go around calling people muppets or w8nkers which we do on here a lot and it gets us WHERE exactly?

3) Lallana was some people's MotM, he was EVERYWHERE. However, that means he was often NOT where he was supposed to be. Many on here sound off about James, but at the same time the "wide attacking midfielder" should be providing cover. When Dyer came on (also moaned about his final ball) what he DID do was to pop up in covering positions at full-back, ie what he was supposed to do.

The team try play down the wings with width and pace. We have two holding midfielders who are by definition supposed to sit in front of the defence. Against Blackpool, Gillett had a poor game and his passing was off, yesterday he was better BUT I am not convinced that he and Schneiderlin are the correct balance.

Unlike many posters, I said I would NOT pass judgement on the "grand plan" until the loan window closes. We all see what is needed, but in our rush to be "so much wiser about football" than the management we have conveniently forgotten the fact that we HAVE ALREADY TRIED TO SIGN A CENTRE HALF. I will wait another 2 weeks and pass my interim judgement, but we did not get thrashed 4-1 or played off the park and the last two goals came "LATE ON" as we were chasing the game with players who had run themselves out for the cause. That HAPPENS in football

or of course we could just play Italian style and keep 11 men behind the ball every week..........

Hmm yeah......'if my aunty had nuts she be my uncle'.

This is all irrelevant.

The maximum we can get from the next two games is six points we are likely to not get any. I think Saints sitting bottom of the league by Christmas with about six points is the only thing that is likely to wake a few people up within and without the club. Still there will still be loads of happy fans because we keep passing the ball back and forth across the pitch and score one great goal whilst our opponents lash home five or six crappy ones.

Success in football boils down to one thing and one thing only - winning games. No one ever remembers or cares if you win every game 1-0 and it's boring if you win every game during the season. Liverpool in the seventies - away from home they were the most boring side you'd ever see - go 1-0 up and then shut up shop. Do every hear anyone mention that in the media?

Unless something changes drastically in the next few months we are going to be relegated.

Hmm yeah......'if my aunty had nuts she be my uncle'.

This is all irrelevant.

The maximum we can get from the next two games is six points we are likely to not get any. I think Saints sitting bottom of the league by Christmas with about six points is the only thing that is likely to wake a few people up within and without the club. Still there will still be loads of happy fans because we keep passing the ball back and forth across the pitch and score one great goal whilst our opponents lash home five or six crappy ones.

Success in football boils down to one thing and one thing only - winning games. No one ever remembers or cares if you win every game 1-0 and it's boring if you win every game during the season. Liverpool in the seventies - away from home they were the most boring side you'd ever see - go 1-0 up and then shut up shop. Do every hear anyone mention that in the media?

Unless something changes drastically in the next few months we are going to be relegated.

What like winning games

i agree, without davis yesterdays scoreline would have been a bigger margin. i know thomas / killer were out injured but playing 3 youngsters and a makeshift left back was asking for trouble want it?

i dont know if he was injured at all but why wasnt perry playing at cb alongside cork?

Agreed. If Perry was fit, he should have played. He did well against Blackpool to compensate for Killer's weak game and to change both CBs was a change too far if not enforced

6 points the minimum? What's the maximum....

If the team give the 110% Jan was asking for, I guess the maximum is 6.6 points (although I hope they round it up to 7) :)

I'd agree that stopping the losing streak would be a good start.

Ipswich are playing ok at the moment, so I'd settle for a confidence settling 1-1, followed by a scrappy and hard-fought 1-0 or 2-1 win against Barnsley.

Four points from two games would give us a nice, thick layer of encouragement and self-belief: Not unlike when you know you're going out for a heavy night on the beer and so prepare your stomach with a good layer of food.

Personally i would be happy with 3 points. Ipswich are not doing what they did last year so a win is possible if we get a bit of luck. The Barnsley game is the one im worried about as it could prove to be a serious changing point in our season. They are poor and have lost all their away games. If we go into that game with a loss from Ipswich and lose to Barnsley at home i think it is pretty safe to assume we will be bottom of the league,worst goal difference and scrapping the barrel for hope. I'm praying that doesn't happen because if it does then i can see the protests starting up again to remove Lowe and Wilde. It is looking more and more like their strategy has backfired and in all honesty i think even the most Pro-Lowe supporter must admit if that is the scenario and he loses the fans after just 7 games he will have no option but to leave or we will just self destruct with supporter in-fighting again.

Personally i would be happy with 3 points. Ipswich are not doing what they did last year so a win is possible if we get a bit of luck. The Barnsley game is the one im worried about as it could prove to be a serious changing point in our season. They are poor and have lost all their away games. If we go into that game with a loss from Ipswich and lose to Barnsley at home i think it is pretty safe to assume we will be bottom of the league,worst goal difference and scrapping the barrel for hope. I'm praying that doesn't happen because if it does then i can see the protests starting up again to remove Lowe and Wilde. It is looking more and more like their strategy has backfired and in all honesty i think even the most Pro-Lowe supporter must admit if that is the scenario and he loses the fans after just 7 games he will have no option but to leave or we will just self destruct with supporter in-fighting again.

Patience is what is required until the financial situation is resolved.

It is going to take three or four years to see if the Stategy has worked

6 points from the next two games is certainly not impossible and would mean 9 points from 7 games which is OK.

We need to stiffen up the defence and be more clinical up front, which are both doable.

Much depends on the many youngsters confidence and I don't think that is too much of a problem now, but we do need to stay off their backs if it's not working.

Come Saturday evening, we could be OK(ish).

Howeve, there is also the potential for losing both or just picking up the odd draw, in which case we will definitley be in the mire.

But 6 points is doable and I'l be giving the youngsters (although I hope there will be somd old heads playing as well) my support.