Home number swapped

JackFrost

Since yesterday (wednesday) we have had a two-tone dialling tone that started on all of our phones at our house. After investigation we discovered that someone somewhere has somehow swapped our phone number with another local number (A different number has flashed up on other people's caller displays when we've called them), we've also tried ringing our number from our phone, it dials but no one answers.

Our phone provider says it is BT's problem and BT previously said we need to contact our phone provider.

Another factor is that I've unsuccessfully tried to install O2 Premium broadband (Just broadband package, NOT phone and broadband package) at our house since last Saturday. I rung O2 who said there appeared to be a problem at the 'exchange' (didn't catch whether he meant the O2 exchange or our local telephone exchange) and said an engineer would sort it. I told them about our phone number being swapped and they said they had absolutely no power to swop our number and this particular problem had nothing to do with them.

We thought it was an O2 balls up initially as it is a bit of a coincidence this happened just a few days after I tried to install the broadband but this other number isn't even an BT number (which you need to be able to get an O2 package)

Has anyone else experienced this?