Those at the game............thoughts?

exit2

Dont want to sound to negative as all in all I thought there were a hell of a lot of positives to take rom the game, especially as most of the game we only had ten men.

The thing that really wound me up today was the appauling warm up - mainly the goalkeepers. Bart, kelvin and the goalkeeping coach we just larking around blasting balls over the netting next to the goal and into the crowd. I can understand a couple going astray but this was nearly every one going into the crowd. Bart in particular found it all highly amusing and kelvin didnt seem too fussed either. And what happens next? we conceed inside inside the first thirty seconds!!! The defence and goalkeeper were fast asleep and did not get their gameheads on for the first ten mins.

To be fair Davis went on to have his best performance in a saint shirt IMHO but I can help thinking the lack of serious preparation before the game cost us today. So many positve things to take from the game but these young players need to have discipline if the want to succeed.

Played ok, no way was that a 4-1 game! We seriously need some good old fashioned centrebacks! also once lancashire went off we should have shuffled the pack. Dyer is no good on the left. at times it really did not seem like we were the team down to 10 men. Oh well off to buy my ipswich ticket then

Played ok, no way was that a 4-1 game! We seriously need some good old fashioned centrebacks! also once lancashire went off we should have shuffled the pack. Dyer is no good on the left. at times it really did not seem like we were the team down to 10 men. Oh well off to buy my ipswich ticket then

no you're right, it should have been a lot worse

just back from game,mind you nearly didnt see it as some w****r of a steward wanted to throw me out after 15 minutes for not sitting down,i won the battle.thought we were undone by some poor refing,ollie deserved a yellow but the red was a bit harsh.from then on it was going to be a stuggle,but i thought we held our own until their offside goal.some great football,but we need to shoot more,and dmc i would have changed for stern.surman is wasted as lb and the sooner this i put right the better.there are tough times ahead but we have to keep the faith and support the lads.they are young and need us.coyr

just back from game,mind you nearly didnt see it as some w****r of a steward wanted to throw me out after 15 minutes for not sitting down,i won the battle.thought we were undone by some poor refing,ollie deserved a yellow but the red was a bit harsh.from then on it was going to be a stuggle,but i thought we held our own until their offside goal.some great football,but we need to shoot more,and dmc i would have changed for stern.surman is wasted as lb and the sooner this i put right the better.there are tough times ahead but we have to keep the faith and support the lads.they are young and need us.coyr

From a TV fan (for today)this is bang on.

I personally would have pushed surman up into left mid, and moved dyer to the right. Take off Gillett and bring on perry. Play cork at LB. I spoke to a QPR supporting mate on the way home and even he said it was not that bad, not a 4-1 game. He was quite impressed with our team. We played well, but we ran out of steam in teh last 10 min cos we played most of the match with 10 men FFS!

What can you say??

The first goal was a shocker...

We then started to get back into the gamje really well. We made QPR look pedestrian and had just started to take the ascendency when the red card happened.

Even with ten men we still maintained our shape and (after five minutes of bo!!ox football at the start of the second half) really started to play well again.

We then get a richly deserved equaliser and what a sensational goal.

Then, we defend a free kick with a move that plays their player off.

And the linesman (who frankly had been shocking for both sides) must have been out having a kip, or maybe had nipped out to South Africa road for a fag, fecking missed it.

AND IT WAS REPLAYED ON THE BIG SCREEN AND THE REF REFUSED TO FECKING ACKNOWLEDGE THE MISTAKE AND HAD A GO AT OUR PLAYERS WHO SHOWED IT TO HIM.

After this, the result was a predictable shame...

When I have calmed down I will tell you how proud I am of the lads today and how good a footballer Adam Lallana is. Just a superstar (as acknowledged by all the QPR fans I sat with)...

A view from the other side.

I thought QPR were poor until we went for a 442 and then we started playing. One of our goals was offside but also one of the disallowed goals was onside so it evened out.

As for Saints, I wasnt impressed with any outfield players but Davis played really well and saved it from being 6 or 7 goals. I think the manager is trying to get the team to play good football but doesnt have the personnel to do it.

I thought the Saints fans were poor. I only heard them twice, once when they scored and once when Delaney sliced a cross over the bar. The quietest fans Ive ever seen at LR.

Was only in my seat for about five seconds before the first goal. Kelvin kept us in it for a large part of the game, made some excellent saves. Dyer was our best outfield player imo. Couldn't see it very well from the other end, but everyone said the second QPR goal was offside, so 4-1 probably flattered them a bit. Still, 3 points from 5 games isn't a great start. We desperately need something next couple of games.

I thought QPR were poor until we went for a 442 and then we started playing. One of our goals was offside but also one of the disallowed goals was onside so it evened out.

As for Saints, I wasnt impressed with any outfield players but Davis played really well and saved it from being 6 or 7 goals. I think the manager is trying to get the team to play good football but doesnt have the personnel to do it.

I thought the Saints fans were poor. I only heard them twice, once when they scored and once when Delaney sliced a cross over the bar. The quietest fans Ive ever seen at LR.

Thanks for your thoughts Flyer,but i said exactly the same things about how quiet QPR fans were when we beat you 2-0 and 3-0,the last two times we played you at Loftus rd.

Although i can understand why you were silent in the 3-0 game.

I was sat with your fans and most agreed you were poor and outplayed for long periods.

But you improved when Rowlands and Ageymong came on and when the linesman handed you a guilt-edged gift just after we had levellled the scores and you were about to be tonked!!

Cheeky basket. ;)

I was sat with your fans and most agreed you were poor and outplayed for long periods.

But you improved when Rowlands and Ageymong came on and when the linesman handed you a guilt-edged gift just after we had levellled the scores and you were about to be tonked!!

Cheeky basket. ;)

Thats what my QPR mate said too.... I hate Ageymang. He always rips us apart!!!

What can you say??

We then started to get back into the gamje really well. We made QPR look pedestrian and had just started to take the ascendency when the red card happened.

Even with ten men we still maintained our shape and (after five minutes of bo!!ox football at the start of the second half) really started to play well again.

And the linesman (who frankly had been shocking for both sides) must have been out having a kip, or maybe had nipped out to South Africa road for a fag, fecking missed it.

AND IT WAS REPLAYED ON THE BIG SCREEN AND THE REF REFUSED TO FECKING ACKNOWLEDGE THE MISTAKE AND HAD A GO AT OUR PLAYERS WHO SHOWED IT TO HIM.

When I have calmed down I will tell you how proud I am of the lads today and how good a footballer Adam Lallana is. Just a superstar (as acknowledged by all the QPR fans I sat with)...

Agree with all of that Steve, and personally thought it was never a red card. Basically thought the ref ruined the afternoon, however can take some positives even in the face of a 4-1 defeat! Need some points now though.

How was your seat? We ended up in the Upper Tier, about half a dozen seats away from Crouch and Wiseman - fair play to 'em!

If you weren't impressed with Adam Lallana, then you are blind, sir.

Agree with all of that Steve, and personally thought it was never a red card. Basically thought the ref ruined the afternoon, however can take some positives even in the face of a 4-1 defeat! Need some points now though.

How was your seat? We ended up in the Upper Tier, about half a dozen seats away from Crouch and Wiseman - fair play to 'em!

Not great Jon, too low down. Close enough to the pitch to shout at their players, but got a gobfull from their fans when I did!!! ;)

What can you say??

Don't often agree with you but I think this post pretty spot on.

Stupid goal to give away, and then a totally unnecessary sending off left Saints with far too much to do today, but they kept playing decent football throughout the match.

Saints are almost a very good team but everyone needs to hold their nerves over the next few weeks otherwise this might all end in relegation. If we can see this season out and keep most of the team together this team could be great to watch for years to come.

McGoldrick and Lallana had good matches and are both starting to look pretty special, Super Kelvin kept the score down. And at last Surman is starting to get back to what he was at the early part of last season and seems happier with Dyer ahead of him.

Yet again we wasted every free kick and the they ought to be forced to watch Gareth Bale videos every training session until they get it right.

Stupid goal to give away, and then a totally unnecessary sending off left Saints with far too much to do today, but they kept playing decent football throughout the match.

Saints are almost a very good team but everyone needs to hold their nerves over the next few weeks otherwise this might all end in relegation. If we can see this season out and keep most of the team together this team could be great to watch for years to come.

McGoldrick and Lallana had good matches and are both starting to look pretty special, Super Kelvin kept the score down. And at last Surman is starting to get back to what he was at the early part of last season and seems happier with Dyer ahead of him.

Yet again we wasted every free kick and the they ought to be forced to watch Gareth Bale videos every training session until they get it right.

Here here.

FWIW my normally abusive mates were texting me through the game, and their comments were basically naive but classy and quality and probably the best CCC game they've seen in terms of skill from both sides.

My Jock mate was gutted to learn that most of them are qualified for England. He wanted to know if Lallana had ever been to McDonalds so he could be qualified for Scotland

Despite the result I thought Saints displayed a lot more talent than QPR, in particular Lallana. As for your comment about Saints fans, that's a bit rich coming from a QPR fan.

why is it people think that a team missing chances against you means they should have scored more, but your own team missing chances doesn't mean you should have scored more?

we had numerous chances to shoot when we didn't, gillet, dyer and mcgoldrick all had good chances, so yes, if davis hadn't made the saves (which is his job), it could have been more, but we also could have had more. so it "could" have been 7-4. great. it COULD have been 1-1 too if they hadn't been given an offside goal that boosted their entire team.

a combination of bad finishing and good goal keeping kept us in it in just the 1st half, especially the Kelvin save onto the post. If we had gone in 2 or 3 down at half time im not so sure we would have come out with the same enthusiasm.

But we've got versatile 'Total Footballers' who can play anywhere...

There's Cork - oh, JP said in te Echo he's really a DF. We have Wotton - oh he's a DF. We have Schniederin - oh, he's a DF as well. So much for signing versatile players who actually can't do the job you wanted their versatility for.

After a little time to reflect, my assessment is not as gloomy as some.

True, we need to find a settled back four - upside, we finally agree Kelvin is the best keeper in our squad and (perhaps because he is now an 'elder') is starting to look more responsible (if not quite the commanding presence of a Friedel).

I don't subscribe to the view we need a 'Darren Moore' - that would totally undermine the way we play. YES, we need to be more effective in the air and to organise the defensive structure better. But Cork/Wotton/Perry/Lancashire need to be tried to find a partnership that works. Or we find another ball-playing CB who only hoofs when absolutely necessary.

Disribution from back to front was good. Even later in the game when KD went long it was much better than recent efforts.

The midfield yesterday worked tirelessly and for long periods of the first half (even down to ten men) controlled the game. The understanding is there - it's a shame there was not an eleventh man to pass it too.

As for the lone-striker, it didn't create enough chances in the first half but was starting to show some semblence of pulling us back into the game (Lallana great opportunity straight at keeper, two headers over from good crosses) when the sending off spoiled it.

What our goal showed is HOW we should be scoring and attacking at pace, in numbers on the deck. Too often before and after, though, we found good scoring chances and failed to shoot to test what looked a dodgy keeper.

It is hard to be too down when we were forced to play with ten men for so long, and when (having got back into the game) we concede a silly free-kick (again, and must be looked at at!), we defend it really well - stepping out, moving around to play their man off-side and a guy scores from a yard and half off-side position...

Football matches are won and lost on wafer-thin margins (irrrespective of the score-line) and the timing could not have been worse for us. I don't want to make excuses and they can wear pretty thin, but this was really, really poor timing, threw us mentally and kicked both the team and fans in the nuts - you could tell.

From then on, chasing the game, we were always likely to conceded a third - the fourth for good measure when the defending, tired and disorganised by this point, allowed Blackstock and Ageymong to dominate.

I don't want to sound like Norman Lamont, but the people who cannot see green shoots from the game are, in my view, myopic.

IF this team can stay together and continue to learn (and we can sort out the CB pairing), they will beat many teams in the league.

To judge them harshly with ten men against twelve is just harsh. 100% effort is what I saw from my vantage point. With long periods of dominance, flashes of brilliance and some poor defending.

It's far easier to take eleven players willing to give 100% and get them to work on their defeciencies than it is to take eleven players who couldn't give a to55 and get them to work.

Our aim must be (and has been explained) as building for the future. No team was built in five league games - none.

Will it be torn apart come January?? Well, that's not a problem between now and then is it. AND it IS now and then where the focus is.

So, I will be back on Wednesday watching these lads again - because finally, I only have a score-line to moan about - not about the effort, attitude and commitment of my team - which is first rate.

True, we need to find a settled back four - upside, we finally agree Kelvin is the best keeper in our squad and (perhaps because he is now an 'elder') is starting to look more responsible (if not quite the commanding presence of a Friedel).

I don't subscribe to the view we need a 'Darren Moore' - that would totally undermine the way we play. YES, we need to be more effective in the air and to organise the defensive structure better. But Cork/Wotton/Perry/Lancashire need to be tried to find a partnership that works. Or we find another ball-playing CB who only hoofs when absolutely necessary.

Disribution from back to front was good. Even later in the game when KD went long it was much better than recent efforts.

The midfield yesterday worked tirelessly and for long periods of the first half (even down to ten men) controlled the game. The understanding is there - it's a shame there was not an eleventh man to pass it too.

As for the lone-striker, it didn't create enough chances in the first half but was starting to show some semblence of pulling us back into the game (Lallana great opportunity straight at keeper, two headers over from good crosses) when the sending off spoiled it.

What our goal showed is HOW we should be scoring and attacking at pace, in numbers on the deck. Too often before and after, though, we found good scoring chances and failed to shoot to test what looked a dodgy keeper.

It is hard to be too down when we were forced to play with ten men for so long, and when (having got back into the game) we concede a silly free-kick (again, and must be looked at at!), we defend it really well - stepping out, moving around to play their man off-side and a guy scores from a yard and half off-side position...

Football matches are won and lost on wafer-thin margins (irrrespective of the score-line) and the timing could not have been worse for us. I don't want to make excuses and they can wear pretty thin, but this was really, really poor timing, threw us mentally and kicked both the team and fans in the nuts - you could tell.

From then on, chasing the game, we were always likely to conceded a third - the fourth for good measure when the defending, tired and disorganised by this point, allowed Blackstock and Ageymong to dominate.

I don't want to sound like Norman Lamont, but the people who cannot see green shoots from the game are, in my view, myopic.

IF this team can stay together and continue to learn (and we can sort out the CB pairing), they will beat many teams in the league.

To judge them harshly with ten men against twelve is just harsh. 100% effort is what I saw from my vantage point. With long periods of dominance, flashes of brilliance and some poor defending.

It's far easier to take eleven players willing to give 100% and get them to work on their defeciencies than it is to take eleven players who couldn't give a to55 and get them to work.

Our aim must be (and has been explained) as building for the future. No team was built in five league games - none.

Will it be torn apart come January?? Well, that's not a problem between now and then is it. AND it IS now and then where the focus is.

So, I will be back on Wednesday watching these lads again - because finally, I only have a score-line to moan about - not about the effort, attitude and commitment of my team - which is first rate.

Having finally managed to catch a game via a dodgy live feed, some of what you write strikes a chord with me.

BUT :

At what point do the excuses about luck and timing, and the comments about the "effort, attitude and commitment of my team - which is first rate" simply stop being sufficient to explain away or compensate the fact we are propping the table up, relegation and administration beckons and there is no real evidence that things are going to change ?

JP has to take some of the blame for not playing his strongest 11. When Olly was sent off (which I thought was unjust but havent had the chance to see it on TV yet) he should have put on Perry. Thought Dyer was shocking, didnt do anything when he got the ball. Lallana and Kelvin were the only two to me who stood out. Very disappointed with the result, we cant seem to be able to get a draw and thought we were lucky to get away we 4-1.

Having finally managed to catch a game via a dodgy live feed, some of what you write strikes a chord with me.

BUT :

At what point do the excuses about luck and timing, and the comments about the "effort, attitude and commitment of my team - which is first rate" simply stop being sufficient to explain away or compensate the fact we are propping the table up, relegation and administration beckons and there is no real evidence that things are going to change ?

Perhaps in November when the manager might have had a dozen games to see what the REAL potential of this team is?? Is that fair?

Of course, we could judge him now and start again...

And then what??

The Russian Revolution at Chelsea with all its millions still took more than five games - two seasons from memory (a season and a half for sure).

If doing the right things, working harder and sticking to your principles is a recipe for failure, then I'm not sure how anyone succeeds for any time, with any credit and with any pride in their achievement.

WHEN these boys succeed and I sincerely believe they will (and I measure success accordingly), I will take more heart and joy from that than from scraping by with mercenaries or a trophy room full of the spoils of wealth..

But that's just me. Because I value effort above everything I guess.

Spot on.

I was sat in the South Africa Road end, the average intelligence was fairly low but the shouts from the hoops fans was the disgust that they were being outplayed for large parts by a team with only 10 men. Many clapped Adam's goal too, stunning effort.

Gillet is maturing nicely. Our man of the match was Kelvin, top display. James had a solid game up against the tricky Cook.

Cork & Wooton should have started as CBs. Much better balance, a ball player and someone with physicality. I would discount the last 15 minutes or so as the defence was getting overun as legs were started to get tierd higher up the park.

I can see why Perry didnt (and probably wont) play alongside Cork, Perry is too short and we woud lack aerial presence. Lancashire's challenge was unneccesary and naive. Not sure James is a RB. Could try Perry/Wooton at CBs with Cork at RB. Surman getting better at LB but looks like a good footballer in the wrong position.

We need to settle to a four and get them working as a unit. We also need all 3 of the 4-2-3-1 formation (not just Lalana-who is premiership class by the way and works his socks off) to track back and help the defence out.

Over than that it was a very brave performance by a young and talented team. That'll be the team that beat Derby and Birmingham not so long ago for those with short memories.

Two home wins this week and it will all start to look very different.......(!?)

Just back from the lounge (its a long room). I think we will have quite a few games like that, probably a number of 4-3 scores, hang on in there and most of all keep supporting the boys - there isnt much alternative until the famous next Friday takeover! ...and what if, just imagine, with experience, they start to get it consistently right!?

I would rather watch that full out effort, with periods of brilliant Arsenal like one touch football, than any number of half hearted performances from overpaid has beens.

I agree with most of what LSC posted. I was disasapointed but still proud of the team as I left the ground - effort right until the end, and that wouldn't have happened last year. Most 50/50 decisions went against them but still they kept plugging away, playing good football, running off the ball, setting their triangles and passing crisply. QPR's second goal came at a sh*tty time, just as we were getting on top, so it's really galling to hear that it was offside. Strangely, I and a number of QPR fans thought that they were really flattered by the score but that we could have conceded more goals.

We're not strong enough at the back and I was sure that JP would bring on Perry when Lancashire bit the dust (bullsh*t red, IMO), although Wotton did well.

I've pretty much given up on Dyer - he doesn't have the courage to take on a slow, ponderous full back and he keeps cutting into traffic (FF 2), where possession is soon lost.

We need to stiffen up at the back, deliver a better final pass and take more of our chances, but we're not a relegation team.

From my seat, I had no complaints about the red card. A naive decision by Lancashire, unnecessary and very reckless.

I thought we did pretty well in midfield, Lallana and Gillet in particular were outstanding. Davis was also excellent.

However, defensively we were a shambles for most of the game. I'm presuming Perry wasn't fully fit, otherwise there was no real reason to throw Lancashire in for his debut against a side who always have strength up front.

Going forward we were fine until it came to the final ball. We had the beating of QPR in most of the midfield, but the crosses and through-balls were poor. It wasn't all that surprising that our goal came from intricate passes down the middle rather than out wide.

Dyer showed plenty of willing to run at the full-backs, but it's all a bit futile if the cross sails over everyone's head and out for a goal kick every time. Surman got forward reasonably well, so I think I'd rather have him in midfield with Skacel at left-back or a "specialist" left-back on loan.

BUT :

for the first time I actually see that you care Alpine. You saw the game and perhaps will be more understanding to others.Your concerns are spot on but nobody can come up with a viable proposition other than what we have now, and that includes me.

Again we looked sharp going forward but without that cutting edge up front to bang in a few goals. McGoldrick should not be so heavily relied on as he really seems to struggle to get into positions where he has gilt edged chances. Stern should start next game or maybe Pekhart.

The main problem though is at the back. We were just appalling and I think the inexperience showed. As soon as the throw in went in at the beginning and the first "defensive" header took it straight into the danger area you new what was coming. Also as soon as Lancashire zoomed accross you just new he was going to dive in and do something stupid. Maybe the red card was harsh but he shouldn't have gone to ground and a more experienced defender wouldn't have.

All in all I agree with some others that there were lots of posistives but we need to sort out our weaknesses very quick or we may be occupying a place at the lower end of the table for some time.

I thought we matched them in most of the play, but once we got the red card (which was a yellow - it happened right in front of me) they just hit us on the break and we were completely overrun.

James' lack of pace was a big point in this game.

However, the most worrying thing for me is now Poortvliet - i'm losing confidence in him fast. Why no Perry? Why did we play worse in the second half, like against Blackpool? Not once this season have we come out after the break and played better, and ultimately that is down to the manager.

F*cking awesome goal by Lallana though.

I thought we matched them in most of the play, but once we got the red card (which was a yellow - it happened right in front of me) they just hit us on the break and we were completely overrun.

James' lack of pace was a big point in this game.

However, the most worrying thing for me is now Poortvliet - i'm losing confidence in him fast. Why no Perry? Why did we play worse in the second half, like against Blackpool? Not once this season have we come out after the break and played better, and ultimately that is down to the manager.

F*cking awesome goal by Lallana though.

I have wondered about the Perry thing and think perhaps that as we have so many injuries at the back he has to keep him fit for the more important home games coming up.It can be the only sensible reason, if not it was a terrible mistake.

Can I just point out that Davis got to that ball before Blackstock. It wasn't offside, I'll give you that, but it wasn't a goal either and it was also at a very different stage of the match.

why is it people think that a team missing chances against you means they should have scored more, but your own team missing chances doesn't mean you should have scored more?

we had numerous chances to shoot when we didn't, gillet, dyer and mcgoldrick all had good chances, so yes, if davis hadn't made the saves (which is his job), it could have been more, but we also could have had more. so it "could" have been 7-4. great. it COULD have been 1-1 too if they hadn't been given an offside goal that boosted their entire team.

That is how I see it as well.

The goalie is supposed to stop goals going in and to say without him we would have lost 8-1 (or whatever) is similar to saying we only won a certain game 3- 0 as our striker got a hatrick. (we can all dream!)

What bugs me even more though is people that say such things (including many media pundits) are actually changing football history yet expecting every single pass that follows to be be identical to before the change.

For example, imagine a game in which saints drew 0 – 0 having no chances on goal and with Davis making 4 superb saves. After such a game the only thing we can say for certain is that the opponents had 4 excellent chances to go 1 – 0 up but Davis prevented that happening. That would be fair and factual and based on what actually happened and we can applaud Davis’ efforts as saving us from defeat. No problem with that but…...

When Davies saved the first of the 4 chances (in this example) then WHAT ACTUALLY FOLLOWED was either a corner or goal kick; HAD IT BEEN A GOAL then it’s a saints kick off from the centre spot. In either case the players on both teams would be in totally different positions and different players would be involved in the game, and of course they will choose different options. Different, different, different! So it is impossible for the game to continue pass for pass, player to player, in exactly the same way regardless of whether it’s a goal or a save. Yet that is what people who say, ‘It would have been 4 – 0 but for Davis…..’ are saying.

We cannot say what would have happened if we change the circumstances but the only thing we can be certain of is it would not progressed exactly as it did.

That is how I see it as well.

The goalie is supposed to stop goals going in and to say without him we would have lost 8-1 (or whatever) is similar to saying we only won a certain game 3- 0 as our striker got a hatrick. (we can all dream!)

What bugs me even more though is people that say such things (including many media pundits) are actually changing football history yet expecting every single pass that follows to be be identical to before the change.

For example, imagine a game in which saints drew 0 – 0 having no chances on goal and with Davis making 4 superb saves. After such a game the only thing we can say for certain is that the opponents had 4 excellent chances to go 1 – 0 up but Davis prevented that happening. That would be fair and factual and based on what actually happened and we can applaud Davis’ efforts as saving us from defeat. No problem with that but…...

When Davies saved the first of the 4 chances (in this example) then WHAT ACTUALLY FOLLOWED was either a corner or goal kick; HAD IT BEEN A GOAL then it’s a saints kick off from the centre spot. In either case the players on both teams would be in totally different positions and different players would be involved in the game, and of course they will choose different options. Different, different, different! So it is impossible for the game to continue pass for pass, player to player, in exactly the same way regardless of whether it’s a goal or a save. Yet that is what people who say, ‘It would have been 4 – 0 but for Davis…..’ are saying.

We cannot say what would have happened if we change the circumstances but the only thing we can be certain of is it would not progressed exactly as it did.

Precisely, Sir.

Events unfold based on previous events.

Their goal is chalked off for off-side. We take a goal kick, different mentality, different attitude.

Football, like history, is not linear, it's unfolding like a Lotus leaf.

We do not know what might have been, only what was.

Precisely, Sir.

Events unfold based on previous events.

Their goal is chalked off for off-side. We take a goal kick, different mentality, different attitude.

Football, like history, is not linear, it's unfolding like a Lotus leaf.

We do not know what might have been, only what was.

We were looking the better side and the QPR players had lost their way until they got that obscene decision. We may well still have lost but at least it would have been down to honesty not dereliction of duty by the lino. Taht goal was a kick in the teeth and for quite some time we lost our discipline. Move on we seem to be cursed at present.

Despite the result I thought Saints displayed a lot more talent than QPR, in particular Lallana. As for your comment about Saints fans, that's a bit rich coming from a QPR fan.

Lots of people on here said QPR were the best away fans last year.

Can I just point out that Davis got to that ball before Blackstock. It wasn't offside, I'll give you that, but it wasn't a goal either and it was also at a very different stage of the match.

It was Cooks goal scored at the Loft end that was onside but disallowed.