Oliver Lancashire

Glasgow_Saint

Bad challenge and, whilst I've seen many an other get away with worse, it was a red. Not a good day for Mr Lancashire; a definite contender for the "Alan Bennett worst debut" award when you also consider the poor defending for the opener.

Hopefully he'll learn from it, though, and come back from it stronger, as Bennett did.

I think some of the criticism is a bit harsh in truth.

Am I the only one that thinks Lancashire looked pretty solid and composed up until his moment of madness?

There is always going to be one critic :lol:

For me, he looked the part in the Saints squad. he was solid, despite his age.

I do feel sorry for him as he does want to do well for Saints but he was over-enthusiastic.. that was his main problem... I am sure he will learn from that silly foul :lol:

He does deserve another chance.

OLI! OLI! OLI! OI! OI! OI!

Comical defending for 1st goal, but what was the keeper doing - he was the most experienced player in that box, didn't see much from him (although KD had a cracking game overall)

It's actually irrelevant about red or yellow - because the lad should NEVER had gone for a tackle there in the first place, Ollie has pace, he should have forced him further into nowhere land where he was already going. He got his angles wrong and there was only one outcome.

Between the two incidents, ONCE they settled down, the two lads looked quite composed and played the ball out of defence quite well.

Stupid challenge, cost us the match and weakens the squad for at least 3 games.

But personally still think he should have been on the bench and given 30 minutes run out later in the game.

Lesson learnt I hope

It's actually irrelevant about red or yellow - because the lad should NEVER had gone for a tackle there in the first place, Ollie has pace, he should have forced him further into nowhere land where he was already going. He got his angles wrong and there was only one outcome.

Quite right - that's the fullback's job.

Comical defending for 1st goal, but what was the keeper doing - he was the most experienced player in that box, didn't see much from him (although KD had a cracking game overall)

Between the two incidents, ONCE they settled down, the two lads looked quite composed and played the ball out of defence quite well.

Stupid challenge, cost us the match and weakens the squad for at least 3 games.

But personally still think he should have been on the bench and given 30 minutes run out later in the game.

Lesson learnt I hope

Once again, I feel compelled to refer you to the way we play with attacking 'wingbacks' which demands cover from the centre-backs as well as the midfield. James was out of position so it is incumbent on Ollie to cover.

What he did NOT have to do, was arrive in the air...

Standing up, he could have forced Delaney wide and simply delayed his delivery...

But hell, the kid's learned a harsh lesson. Bet he's never done it before and won't again.

After that challenge, you can't contest the red card. Late & stupidly wreckless! Our defence was bad enough with the marking for the opening goal but that challenge was plain suicide. Some on here expressed concerns over inexperience (me included), more worrying in defence (where we need experienced heads). I think this incident proves the serious cost of such decisions. A sure sign of over-enthusiastic, inexperienced youngsters making mistakes. I just hope the lads have a quick & steep learning curve & my pre-season concerns are all misfounded!

Definitely no more than a booking. Having taken a closer look at it i think he even wins the ball. If you look closely you can see that his toe makes contact with the ball and it 'jumps' slightly. Very very unlucky, was not a terrible tackle either as he slid in and did not jump.

Once again, I feel compelled to refer you to the way we play with attacking 'wingbacks' which demands cover from the centre-backs as well as the midfield. James was out of position so it is incumbent on Ollie to cover.

What he did NOT have to do, was arrive in the air...

Standing up, he could have forced Delaney wide and simply delayed his delivery...

But hell, the kid's learned a harsh lesson. Bet he's never done it before and won't again.

So we are both in agreement, he didn't NEED to make that tackle. I never moaned about the positioning or that James was further up the pitch, simply he should have made the angle better during his chase of him, "stayed on his feet" and Delaney was going nowhere.

Inexperience pure and simple

Tackle happened right in front of us and I have to say a red card was very harsh.

As someone else said, it looked and sounded as if he got a bit of the ball first, was sliding in from the side and it wasn't two-footed.

I reckon the referee was influenced by the fact he came steaming in from a long way off.

But obviously not a good idea to dive in like that - should have just tried to hold him up instead.

Shame as he loooks a decent player, good in the air and comfortable on the ball.

Here's a neutral's view from The Guardian -- maybe he wasn't as stupid as some think, just unlucky:

Southampton were unfortunate, too, in the dismissal of their teenage central defender Oliver Lancashire, who got a slight touch of the ball in his clattering, covering tackle on the overlapping Damien Delaney. Particle collisions have been in the news for the last few days. This one was neither malicious nor strictly foul. As Jan Poortvliet, the manager, said: "He never had intention to kill someone."

Chin up Ollie, you'll be back.

The occasion got to him. FFS, he was thrown in at the deep end for the sake of "experiment continuity".

The fact that Perry didnt start defies logic.

The occasion may have got to him. He was thrown in at the deep end but "experiment continuity"!!! With Svensson & Thomas injured & Perry supposedly carrying a knock.

What logic, if Perry had started & then got injured to miss the next 3 weeks?!

His red card today - little harsh imo. Thought it was a decent tackle - am i biased? :grin:

I stood opposite him as he went in. I put my head in my hands and knew he was going off. After all of the recent 2 footed challenges and red cards of late in the Leagues there was no way he was staying on.

Poor challenge that demonstrated the lack of experience of our youth side of relegation bound nippas.

Total(ly crap) Football.

Sorry but I thought it was a red card given the current apetite amongst refs and the FA and what's more it demonstrates lack of professionalism and inexperience.