Freddy Shepherd ?

simo

Really?

Freddy??

One thing you can say about Lowe he does at least have a modicom of class...

Shepherd? A glorified scrap-metal merchant.... hmmm... just what we need

A man with no class (apparently) and money against a man with class (apparently) and no money.

As we are a football club not an etiquette school so I know who I would choose.

However the Mirror reckons he is after a spanish club.

Edited by Fan The Flames

Shepherd cannot 'buy' Southampton, because the club is not a private company, it is a plc regulated by the stock exchange, and owned by the shareholders of SLH. When shares are traded the fact is published, and some are traded from time to time, usually in smallish values, but buying shares in a plc does not gurantee gaining control, anyway.

Shepherd cannot 'buy' Southampton, because the club is not a private company, it is a plc regulated by the stock exchange, and owned by the shareholders of SLH. When shares are traded the fact is published, and some are traded from time to time, usually in smallish values, but buying shares in a plc does not gurantee gaining control, anyway.

Shepherd is a businessman.

He isn't a fool.

He knows there are bargains out there, 3 clubs for a tenner with a free KitKat, as opposed to one club for 12mil.

The only other way is to come in as an investment partner and take proxies to gain control. Lowe & Shepherd - don't see it myself

A man with no class (apparently) and money against a man with class (apparently) and no money.

As we are a football club not an etiquette school so I know who I would choose.

However the Mirror reckons he is after a spanish club.

Really, you'd be happy for your Chairman to be lounging around the pool in Ibiza calling girls from your home town slappers/slags and referring to fans in less than glowing terms??

At least our Chairman seems to be 'decent' - misguided maybe, but Shepherd??

Why can't we just build a football club we can be proud of...

In five years Manchester City fans will be wondering why they can't buy tickets and their team plays half its games around the world to boost the Abu Dhabi 'brand'...

All that glisters is not gold.

Really, you'd be happy for your Chairman to be lounging around the pool in Ibiza calling girls from your home town slappers/slags and referring to fans in less than glowing terms??

In five years Manchester City fans will be wondering why they can't buy tickets and their team plays half its games around the world to boost the Abu Dhabi 'brand'...

Who says our chairman is 'decent'. Who says Shepherd is not. Being decent has nothing to do with going to the right school or talking with the right accent.

Fair point about Man City and the Premier in general. The game does need to be safeguarded in this country and the FA need to take steps.

In five years time we could be in the Conference.

Who says our chairman is 'decent'. Who says Shepherd is not. Being decent has nothing to do with going to the right school or talking with the right accent.

Fair point about Man City and the Premier in general. The game does need to be safeguarded in this country and the FA need to take steps.

In defence of Lowe, he never inferred that Southampton girls "have loose morals" in the National Media

You're right about decency, it isn't about class it's about humanity and understanding other people inhabit the same planet as you, and it could be argued that Lowe is too self centric to be decent.

Football is screwed, and you're right

In five years time we could be in the Champions League. Each is possible, one in more likely than the other though who knows.

e.g. Qatar have HUGE sums of money, they just p*ssed off the Dubai crew by making the Arc d'Triumphe the most expensive race in the world.

Their investment in sport is built around the Aspire academy to develop the world's finest athletes in all sports. Maybe they will see it better long term to plough hundreds of millions over 10 years into a sports business that also believes in developing youngsters.

(I wish!)

The point is we have no idea what tomorrow will bring, we just guess, and the most likely today is doom gloom and a Sky Curse again.

BUT one thing we have ALL learnt as Saints fans. Nothing is ever easy and just when we think one thing - whoosh

it does if you buy enough of them.

No friend, I agree 100% (or more...). But Lowe has always been respectful in what he says publicly (and as far as we know privately) whereas Shepherd...

To me 'class' has never had anything to do with accent, money or breeding - it has to do with conduct. And I would like my football club and players to conduct themselves with decency, which Lowe (for all his faults) always seems to have done. So if (and ideally when) he relinquishes control I would like it to be to someone else 'decent', not someone who thinks it's appropriate to increase ticket charges and refer to the people who pay them as slappers and mugs...

And in his conduct towards Sir Bobby Robson, Shepherd revealed all that he is - a horrible, unlikable little oik!

In five years ManchesterCity fans will be wondering why they can't buy tickets and their team plays half its games around the world to boost the Abu Dhabi 'brand'...

I wouldn’t mind if our chairman were to go on holiday and lounge around a swimming pool.

Slags or lunatic fringe, neither of them covered themselves in glory. I didn’t like the slags or shirt comment but that’s just one story and he did have a point about the shirts, I can’t comment on the girls as I have never been to Newcastle. But the inference is that because Lowe is posh (apparently) he has class and is decent and because Shepherd is common (apparently) he is crass and not decent, its an inference I don’t buy into.

At the moment we need a cash injection and I would welcome most people on board who could do that. I have standards and wouldn’t want the likes of Thaksin Shinawatra to take control but Freddy Shepherd is hardly in the same league, financially or as a scoundrel.

I think what’s happen to football is wrong, but what’s happening at Man City isn’t representative of the majority of the countries football teams.

No friend, I agree 100% (or more...). But Lowe has always been respectful in what he says publicly (and as far as we know privately) whereas Shepherd...

To me 'class' has never had anything to do with accent, money or breeding - it has to do with conduct. And I would like my football club and players to conduct themselves with decency, which Lowe (for all his faults) always seems to have done. So if (and ideally when) he relinquishes control I would like it to be to someone else 'decent', not someone who thinks it's appropriate to increase ticket charges and refer to the people who pay them as slappers and mugs...

And in his conduct towards Sir Bobby Robson, Shepherd revealed all that he is - a horrible, unlikable little oik!

I seem to find myself defending Shepherd and I don't really know much about him. But what he said about the slappers wasn't publically, he was caught by an undercover journalist. I'm sure you give Lowe a few drinks whilst relaxing away from home with a few friends and asked him what he thought of the of the Southampton fans, you might get a few strong words.

Shepards conduct towards Bobby R and Lowes towards Dave Jones.

I bloody hope not.

Alpine I fully agree with your comments.

I dont really want some multi millionaire to buy my football club.

I want us to continue the way we have done for the past forty years where I have seen excellent football some world class footballers and have lots of exciting memories.

But nowadays lots of fans just want instant success which may come with loads of money.

Really?

Freddy??

Oh my god... working class = Bad....middle/ upper class = good. No wonder you have to pay a fiver to post on hear regularly nowadays, the mods are trying to price-out the working class scum. Suddenly it's all starting to make sense. I swear this board is getting more like a Daily Mail letters page everyday. I'm off to walk my whippet.

I would take Bin ladens money if it meant us not going into administration!

Well I would not.

I did not start supporting Southampton because I wanted success I just went a long to the Dell to watch the football and enjoy the buzz when we did well.

I am quite like that today although I dont see many games I do enjoy the it when we win and the lead up to the game today which we will probably lose.

Well I would not.

I did not start supporting Southampton because I wanted success I just went a long to the Dell to watch the football and enjoy the buzz when we did well.

I am quite like that today although I dont see many games I do enjoy the it when we win and the lead up to the game today which we will probably lose.

So you would rather we went the same route Wimbledon have gone and Luton and Bournemouth are going?

Really?

Freddy??

I won't argue re your thoughts on Shepherd but anyone who stood in the General Election for the Referendum party posseses no class imo, not even a modicUm.

So you would rather we went the same route Wimbledon have gone and Luton and Bournemouth are going?

I doubt if that will happen those clubs you mentioned have a very small fan base.

Luton are in their situation because of financial irregularity.

Edited by John B

I won't argue re your thoughts on Shepherd but anyone who stood in the General Election for the Referendum party posseses no class imo, not even a modicUm.

Thats odd because the large majority of people wanted a referendum on the EU constitution. You might not vote for them but it doesnt mean someone standing for democratic election on a non bigotted (eg BNP) platform "has no class".

I want us to continue the way we have done for the past forty years where I have seen excellent football some world class footballers and have lots of exciting memories.

But nowadays lots of fans just want instant success which may come with loads of money.

TBH I'm not that worried about instant success. Stability, as in no more looking over our shoulder or asking the bank if we're ok for another 9 months, is what I want. Unfortunately the investment which may bring that stability is usually hand in glove with the inevitable demands for success. Also, as you point out, investment will raise the fans hopes and expectations.

trouble is though that in todays climate we simply cannot continue the way we have done. We have to move with the times.

trouble is though that in todays climate we simply cannot continue the way we have done. We have to move with the times.

Of course we can continue the way that we have always done.

I dont want tSFC to be owned by a Russian or some dodgy Business Man it is bad enough having Rupert in charge.

Look at the fans at both Newcastle anf Liverpool they dont appear to be happy

I can't believe what I read on here sometimes, if we go down this season, or next we will almost certainly go into administration and start the following season on -10/15pts which could very realisticly see us in league 2 the next season. The very existance of the club is in threat - and you would turn down a mega rich owner because you don't like the way he speaks or what he does in his spare time?!?

****ing nuts

Well if you read some conspiracy theories, that's what Man City may have done....

allegedly

Oh and more to the point I would take Bin Laden's money. The FAMILY are one of the largest and most successful trading families in Saudi Arabia, highly professional and extremely well connected at the highest levels globally.

(As opposed to the outcast black sheep brother of course)

But be careful what we wish for or how we word it

Edited by dubai_phil

Well if you read some conspiracy theories, that's what Man City may have done....

allegedly

Oh and more to the point I would take Bin Laden's money. The FAMILY are one of the largest and most successful trading families in Saudi Arabia, highly professional and extremely well connected at the highest levels globally.

(As opposed to the outcast black sheep brother of course)

But be careful what we wish for or how we word it

Big friends of the Bush family, I believe?

I dont want tSFC to be owned by a Russian or some dodgy Business Man it is bad enough having Rupert in charge.

yes we can continue this way, if you want lower league football and the very real threat of administration hanging over us. Unfortuneatly money plays a huge part in football today, if we dont move forward and "keep with the times" the alternative is not worth thinking about

yes we can continue this way, if you want lower league football and the very real threat of administration hanging over us. Unfortuneatly money plays a huge part in football today, if we dont move forward and "keep with the times" the alternative is not worth thinking about

The only reason we are in a poor way financially is because of the way the club was run after Lowe went.

With ridiculous wages being paid.

Once Lowe has sorted that out we should be able to continue as before.

There must be lots of clubs running in a similar manner to us

Big friends of the Bush family, I believe?

Well that's what Michael Moores said, not me:-)

But have worked on some major projects with the family group. The most impressive of which is the "Mecca Towers" project, a single buidling which will house more people than the population of Salisbury

http://www.tallestbuildingintheworld.com/building_id_1_Abraj+Al+Bait+Towers.php

Perhaps a nice replacement for the Cement Works?

Well that's what Michael Moores said, not me:-)

But have worked on some major projects with the family group. The most impressive of which is the "Mecca Towers" project, a single buidling which will house more people than the population of Salisbury

http://www.tallestbuildingintheworld.com/building_id_1_Abraj+Al+Bait+Towers.php

Perhaps a nice replacement for the Cement Works?

mecca tower looks like BIG BEN! They should have called it Bigger BEN

The only reason we are in a poor way financially is because of the way the club was run after Lowe went.

no one runs their club like us. No other club, in any division has filled their team with 12 year olds. Unless we get investment we are screwed.

Basically a wage bill which nor Wilde and Lowe can control :lol:.

We are hardly paying much of a wage bill anymore.

thing is newcastle fans dont know what they want...not so long ago, they had a geordie chairman (who spent silly money) they had a geordie manager and they had a geordie captain...was in the champions league...that was not good enough....

liverpool..I cant uderstand why they are moaning, top of the league, and buying players like torres, riera and how much was mascherano...?

yes, I can see what part of football is screwed in this country - THE MOANING FANS..:rolleyes:

I can't believe what I read on here sometimes, if we go down this season, or next we will almost certainly go into administration and start the following season on -10/15pts which could very realisticly see us in league 2 the next season. The very existance of the club is in threat - and you would turn down a mega rich owner because you don't like the way he speaks or what he does in his spare time?!?

****ing nuts

Find me ONE Newcastle fan who has a good word to say about Freddy Shepherd...

I thought we learned already, swapping Lowe for ANYONE is like swapping Burley for ANYONE.

Sometimes the 'ANYONE' is Mike Ashley... or Freddy Shepherd...or Dodd and Gorman...

I'm not averse to a new owner, just not a rich one purely because he is rich. Otherwise, let's ring up George Bush's office - he'll be twiddling his thumbs after November...

To be honest it doesn't really matter who the Chairman might be, Freddy Shepherd, whoever. All that matters is success - to the chairman and the fans. Let's be honest there is probably some pretty s h i t t y money floating around in football these days from sources that we probably wouldn't want to get too involved with.

That said - we are but fickle fans, if we tastes success on the field, we rarely care who delivers it, or how it is paid for at boardroom level.

Totally agree, I cant understand why some people on here still want the "old fashioned" route in saving our club.

Football has changed, we need money or we are doomed. I would take ANYONES money at the moment.

How bad has it got to get....

Totally agree, I cant understand why some people on here still want the "old fashioned" route in saving our club.

Football has changed, we need money or we are doomed. I would take ANYONES money at the moment.

Some of us have morals and ethics, maybe :smt102

I wouldn't want my club prostituted to any old punter.

But the money doesn't necessarily exist to sort out our long-term health.

There's only so many Abu Dhabi's in the world.

So what happens, we get another Wilde/Crouch?? Local people who think they are doing us a favour but don't have the REAL wealth necessary.

Or some foreign owner who suddenly finds all his wealth has vanished with Lehman brothers.

You know AIG are about to go bust leaving Manchester United without a shirt sponsor???

If the world were overflowing with wealth we might have a squeak of someone thinking we were a prospect.

But I give SISU a couple of months before their trying to sell Coventry to anyone at any price.

There is ONE cast-iron way of saving this club. To make it sustainable in its own right.

Old fashioned? My arse.

You wait. We're simply one of the first to work out that white knights have a habit of turning into white elephants...

Some of us have morals and ethics, maybe :smt102

I wouldn't want my club prostituted to any old punter.

My morals and ethics went out the window when i realised how much of state this club is in...

But the money doesn't necessarily exist to sort out our long-term health.

There's only so many Abu Dhabi's in the world.

So what happens, we get another Wilde/Crouch?? Local people who think they are doing us a favour but don't have the REAL wealth necessary.

Or some foreign owner who suddenly finds all his wealth has vanished with Lehman brothers.

You know AIG are about to go bust leaving Manchester United without a shirt sponsor???

If the world were overflowing with wealth we might have a squeak of someone thinking we were a prospect.

But I give SISU a couple of months before their trying to sell Coventry to anyone at any price.

There is ONE cast-iron way of saving this club. To make it sustainable in its own right.

Old fashioned? My arse.

You wait. We're simply one of the first to work out that white knights have a habit of turning into white elephants...

Just like we are the first club to use a "revolutionary new system"

Just like we are the first club to use a "revolutionary new system"

Funnily enough we are using the same system as Arsenal on a smaller scale so I would say there is a model we can follow.

The alternative is what??

Wander around Wall Street or Dubai City with a bucket and a prayer??

I love all this: "we need an investor" approach.

Well from where??

Has anyone else noticed the world's fourth largest investment bank going bust today??

And these guys like Fulthorpe? All talk and no action because there is simply no way to raise the finance any more.

So we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. At least we're trying to build a team for the future. It might fail. Well spunking £7million on Burley did a great deal of good too...

Funnily enough we are using the same system as Arsenal on a smaller scale so I would say there is a model we can follow.

The alternative is what??

Wander around Wall Street or Dubai City with a bucket and a prayer??

I love all this: "we need an investor" approach.

Well from where??

Has anyone else noticed the world's fourth largest investment bank going bust today??

And these guys like Fulthorpe? All talk and no action because there is simply no way to raise the finance any more.

So we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. At least we're trying to build a team for the future. It might fail. Well spunking £7million on Burley did a great deal of good too...

I obviously didnt make myself clear.

We need money to survive

What makes you think it has to come from Wall Street or Dubai.

Also, what makes you think that I want investment from a financial institution that is just about to go into administration.

Do you know the background of ALL of these people, especially their moral standing and thier ethics...

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/10/07billionaires_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html

I obviously didnt make myself clear.

We need money to survive

What makes you think it has to come from Wall Street or Dubai.

Also, what makes you think that I want investment from a financial institution that is just about to go into administration.

Do you know the background of ALL of these people, especially their moral standing and thier ethics...

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/10/07billionaires_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html

So ring them up and ask them to invest...

What on earth makes you think a single entity in the world WANTS to buy our club but has failed to have it pointed out to them??

Most billionaires (I would have thought) don't have the cash - they have property, shares and equity the value of which has been diminishing rapidly for months and it's getting worse.

Hardly the basis on which to then spunk away more of your kid's inheritance on a football club??

There's only so many Abu Dhabi's - the rest like Gillet and Hicks have borrowed the money and are now in trouble, having to refinance their debts and putting off the new stadium.

Even Ashley simply can't afford football and the guy was worth a billion (just).

So, what's Plan B if there is no billionnaire interested??