Overclocking

thesaint sfc

Normally I play around with overclocking when I have friends that actually know what they are doing around.

I've managed to get my Core 2 Duo 6600 upto 3.6GHz from 2.4. Quite impressive I think :D Seems to be running fine and I've run some stress tests, admittedly not for very long. When I check the temp with Core Temp it says 80oC - is that too hot? I've got a Zalman super dooper cooler on the CPU but I'm a bit concerned thats a bit too hot!

Some Pentium Core 2 Duos can run at over 100C safely, but it depends on the individual processor. Also, measuring the temperature isn't always accurate.

see http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-221745_11_0.html for a fairly in depth guide.

Your processor will run hot as you're overclocking it, and this will shorten the life of it, so keep an eye on the behaviour of your computer and if you notice more crashes, pauses, etc. then put it back to stock speed.

If your cooler isn't working as well as you think it should be, it may need reseating or the thermal grease that gives a good conductivity may need replacing. (note it is very easy to use too much)

Also, whisper it quietly, but underclocking isn't always a bad thing. You get a more reliable computer that runs cooler, and the main benefit, quieter.

Hope this helps.

I wouldnt run a chip at 80c, I overclock my q6600 from 2.4 to 3ghz and after an hour of prime 95 it barely gets over 50c. My CPU is so OC friendly that I can actually do this on lower than stock voltage, which is probably why it runs so cool. Cant go any higher than this and keep it stable mind you, because my ram gets upset if the fsb is anything over 333.

Underclocking +1 by the way

I wouldnt run a chip at 80c, I overclock my q6600 from 2.4 to 3ghz and after an hour of prime 95 it barely gets over 50c. My CPU is so OC friendly that I can actually do this on lower than stock voltage, which is probably why it runs so cool. Cant go any higher than this and keep it stable mind you, because my ram gets upset if the fsb is anything over 333.

Underclocking +1 by the way

Thanks mate. I'm not too fussed about the life of the CPU as I want a new one anyway. I chucked 1.4 volts at it, so I'm going to try reducing it to 1.2 volts when I get home and see how that affects the temp. My friend at work says the volts are what causes the high temperature the most. I've got some ****ty 800mhz 4x 2GB RAM, so that probably could do with changing if I want it any higher. I noticed the room I was sat in became a bit of an oven last night so at least now my PC is multi purpose :smt040