Defending set plays etc

AndyNorthernSaints

The opening season following relegation, we had the tallest team in the league and it never did us much good. We still leaked headers from set plays and corners, and our own free kicks and corners were more of an attacking opportunity for the opposition, than us.

The team was something like,

Niemi

Hajto Claus Powell Higginbotham

Delap Oakley Quashie Kowoloski

Fuller Jones

The opening season following relegation, we had the tallest team in the league and it never did us much good. We still leaked headers from set plays and corners, and our own free kicks and corners were more of an attacking opportunity for the opposition, than us.

The team was something like,

Niemi

Hajto Claus Powell Higginbotham

Delap Oakley Quashie Kowoloski

Fuller Jones

Yes but wasn't Kevin Bond in charge of defensive coaching and Redknapp just didn't really care.

Just hope Jan has had the team working on how to defend corners/free kicks and balls into the box in the last fortnight? otherwise we could be in trouble as half the QPR side are 6ft+.

Encouraging the players to shoot more when near the goal might help as well.

Tactic One: Play fit and experienced central defenders

Doh....

Just hope Jan has had the team working on how to defend corners/free kicks and balls into the box in the last fortnight? otherwise we could be in trouble as half the QPR side are 6ft+.

Encouraging the players to shoot more when near the goal might help as well.

What we need is Kelvin Davis to come out for a few more corners/free kicks, he tends to stay on his line relying on his defenders. Goalies tend to win a fair few free kicks by coming of their line and ending up in a heap after challenging for the ball. The ref tends to favour the goalie on most occasions.

If anything i think we've got a little better at set-pieces this year. We've already scored from one this season and come close a number of times. 2 of the 3 goals scored in the last reserves game were from corners so we're certainly getting more accurate with them. Defensively we're always gonna be supseptible (spl) from them as the team is quite short on average.

Saints have had a poor defence for quite a few years now despite some of the defenders being very good on paper. Whenever I've watched them I've always felt we could concede at any moment. To me the problem is the midfield, they don't provide enough cover for the back four. One example today was late in the second half when Dyer came back to defend and then just let his man go causing a mismatch.