Printers

Badger

I'm looking to replace my current printer (Epson R300) which is after a few years good service becoming unreliable.

I've looked at a Canon 620 which has had some good reviews,and Kodak seem to be on a keen marketing campaign about ink costs. I'd appreciate any experiences of manufacturers/printers (especially if currently available) from any of you.

The printer is used for both photos and text.Ideal cost is up to £150.00

Thanks.

We've always been an HP site, but recently we've bought a few Canon ip4600's. Very nice printer, comes with a little CD holder so that you can print direct to CD. Will also print from certain digital cameras without going via a PC.

Has separate cartridges for each colour and a big black one.

We got ours for £70.00 but I think retail is around £100.00

Choose any model which will accept a CISS and your long term running costs become negligible.

There's the initial cost for the system at about £30-50, but then the ink costs sod all.

http://www.continuous-ink-systems.co.uk/

£6 for a 250ml bottle. A typical manufacturer's cartridge probably holds 25ml and costs £10-20.

Unlike the old messy way of refilling ink cartridges with a syringe, rubber gloves and stacks of newspaper, all you do with these is open a bottle reservoir that sits next to your printer and pour some more ink in.

I don't use one myself because I only ever print mono text at home and run a 12 year old laser printer, but I saw the output from an HP all-in-one running a CISS and it was superb.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Thanks for the advice above.

I'd still appreciate any further observations if anyone has experience of the Canon MP620or MP640,or other recommendations.

There must be more than three of us who own a printer !

I bought the MP610 over the 620 and, although a slightly older model, was a Which best buy. It has proved to be excellent, very economical with ink, good scanning and excellent output.

It will also take a CISS.

I bought the MP610 over the 620 and, although a slightly older model, was a Which best buy. It has proved to be excellent, very economical with ink, good scanning and excellent output.

It will also take a CISS.

Thank you for that .I think the MP610 is now discontinued,and even the MP620 looks as if its being phased out.It does appear that the Canon MP range is from a good and reliable 'stable' though which is encouraging.I shall continue the search re MP620/40.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Thank you for that .I think the MP610 is now discontinued,and even the MP620 looks as if its being phased out.It does appear that the Canon MP range is from a good and reliable 'stable' though which is encouraging.I shall continue the search re MP620/40.

True but still available. Inks are standard.

http://computers.shop.ebay.co.uk/Printers-/178/i.html?_nkw=mp610&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printing_PrinterInkCatridges_JN&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Just bought the HP Photosmart Premium (C309a). Prints, faxes, scans, copies, does CD prints, great photo prints, and has wireless functionality.

Has been retailing for around £250, managed to find a deal on it for just under £140 with Misco. Honestly, it's the best printer I've ever had.

As a result, I also now have two printers I'm looking to sell.

As a reseller and former printer engineer I always buy HP. I've not owned anything but for a number of years now. I still have an HP lasejet that is around 12 or 13 years old and it's still going strong! I also have an all-in-one business ink-jet that has proved 100% reliable for the last 3 or 4 years.

Just a warning with Canons. They don't like heavy usage and are a tad fragile.