Windows 7, 32 or 64?

Saint_Jonny

Im about to buy windows 7 on the cheap as a student (thanks for the tip whoever it was on the other thread!)

Dont know weather its worth going for the 64-bit option given ive got a 64-bit processor. Use my laptop for mainly web browsing / uni work (lots of work in 3DS-MAX and ZBRUSH etc)

Comp specs are as follows (pretty crappy..)

AMD turion x2 64 bit 2.4GHz

4 GB RAM (does 32 bit windows only use 3..?)

ATi 4530 GPU 512mb dedicated GDDR ram

so, is it worth the hassle of searching for drivers? Will I see much of an advantage? Tis' a HP laptop, dunno if they will be much help driver wise?

Thanks mate, Ive asked around a couple of other places and found that the 32-bit version of MAX (a program I need for my course will run terribly on 64 bit OS, and I can be forking out for a new version of max so ive had to plum for the 64 version, only missing out on 600mb of my available ram and I can prob live with that. Nothing stopping me changing in the future either.

I've got the 64-bit version, and it has been excellent, until last night when I got a BSOD when it tried to install updates :( hadn't seen one of those since ditching Windows 98!

Now the 64bit system actually uses or recognises the full onboard memory though, it seems that my graphics card is the weak link in the system with a 4.9 on the Windows performance test. I know I don't need to, but I am going to have to buy a new card now!

Without wanting to come across as too much of an IT moron can somebody explain the difference to me.

I understand (I think) that a 32 bit processor isn't able to run the 64 bit windows 7 but have no idea as to the implications.

What makes the 64 bit version better, if anything?

64bit is obviously 2x 32bit and twice as fast processing! ;)

Just finished installing 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate, I love it, smooth, sleek... no bugs yet. Will purposefully be upgrading to 64 bit though to make the most of the unused RAM when FM2010 comes through :)

I seriously doubt there will be a specific 64bit version, which means the 32bit will only be able to page to as much memory as a 32bit OS, so no point in upgrading just for that...

Explaining the difference between 32bit and 64bit is really difficult. It is how the architecture of the OS is build, thus making it able to use more RAM & Processing speed.

according to a website I visit a lot:

All Windows 7 retail boxes come with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVDs. I strongly recommend installing the 64-bit version if you currently use, or are planning to use, 4GB of RAM or more. Windows 7 64-bit is identical to the 32-bit version for most intents and purposes, but is future-proof and also has enhanced security features. However first check the availability of 64-bit Windows 7 or Vista drivers for all your major hardware.

Therefore if you have 1 or 2GB RAM I would suggest sticking with 32bit.

As Baj said I don't think they will be making an FM 64bit. It would be completely pointless as aren't the graphics ****e? It's mostly just about managing the team rather than fancy graphics. I know some games such as crysis would use the full allocation of RAM on a 64bit OS.

I've got a system at home with 8GB RAM, 3Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and an ATI 4870 graphics card - runs my games quite nicely :)

Actually, without going into too much technical details, the difference between 32 and 64bit if fairly easy to explain.

32bit systems can only "access" around 3gb of ram, this is all they are capable of accessing and that will NEVER change.

64bit systems however can access VASTLY more memory.

However, for this to be of real benefit, the applications themselves that you run on your 64bit system must THEMSELVES be written for 64bit systems, else they still have the same issue as 32bit. In essense, if what you want to use doesnt have 64bit version, then you're better of staying with 32bit OS..

...one last thing tho, because of the way 64bit systems work, you can actually run MORE 32bit applications that you would be able to on a 32bit OS.

....ok, maybe not that simply.

Actually, without going into too much technical details, the difference between 32 and 64bit if fairly easy to explain.

32bit systems can only "access" around 3gb of ram, this is all they are capable of accessing and that will NEVER change.

64bit systems however can access VASTLY more memory.

However, for this to be of real benefit, the applications themselves that you run on your 64bit system must THEMSELVES be written for 64bit systems, else they still have the same issue as 32bit. In essense, if what you want to use doesnt have 64bit version, then you're better of staying with 32bit OS..

...one last thing tho, because of the way 64bit systems work, you can actually run MORE 32bit applications that you would be able to on a 32bit OS.

....ok, maybe not that simply.

So...

1) Over the course of the next few years you might be able to get faster running versions of programs/games that will only work on a 64 bit system. Unlikely though that things will only be released in 64 bit for a while.

2) If you want to run multiple 32 bit programs then a 64 bit system will handle it better.

Cheers Baj.

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

That pretty much sums it up.

It's not at all easy to explain - I get asked by customers on a regular basis if they can have 8GB RAM in their new computer. Of course I say yes, but explain only 2.8-3.4GB will actually be usable. Then they ask why....? It's a bloody nightmare explaining that to someone who calls USB ports UBS ports and still doesn't know what broadband is!

http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

That pretty much sums it up.

It's not at all easy to explain - I get asked by customers on a regular basis if they can have 8GB RAM in their new computer. Of course I say yes, but explain only 2.8-3.4GB will actually be usable. Then they ask why....? It's a bloody nightmare explaining that to someone who calls USB ports UBS ports and still doesn't know what broadband is!

Perfect.

Everything I wanted to know.

(Also any more detail and my lack of understadning would have kicked in)