Windows 7

skintsaint

Just after a bit of advice from people in the know. Im about to buy a netbook this week but see that Windows 7 is out on the 22nd?

Is it worth waiting for this to install as the OS on my netbook or shall I just get XP/Vista as there is minimal performance difference?

Cheers

im sure ive read people using the beta windows 7 on a netbook. Maybe I was wrong. Wouldnt be the first time!

Windows 7 is supposed to have lower minimum specs than Vista and has been designed to run on netbooks.

I was looking at some reviews the other day and everything actually points towards it being quite good. Which I suppose it has to be after the bungled launch of Vista.

A couple of peeps here are on the Beta and think it is a vast improvement on 'Bisto', ( not difficult TBH ). It should run on any system that runs XP, so netbooks should be OK.

I once got a 'customer care' call from Micro$haft customer support, asking me what the best thing about Vista was, I replied "You can put a LINUX boot CD into the computer and over-write it". :)

Windows 7 is supposed to have lower minimum specs than Vista and has been designed to run on netbooks.

I was looking at some reviews the other day and everything actually points towards it being quite good. Which I suppose it has to be after the bungled launch of Vista.

Windows 7 is brilliant. I almost prefer it to XP which really is saying something.

It has improved a lot over Vista, however I would still choose to put XP on a netbook.

Vitas ok once you get used to it but its sooooooo slow.

Windows 7 has a much small footprint and feels alot quick although actuall test say its the same as vista :-/

I've been run full blown copy on 7 for a month now and really like it, so much so that I have advised my customers that are buying new PCs/laptops to wait till 22nd.

What, exactly, is everyone's issue with Vista? I don't seem to have any problems with it...

It is slow, and albeit very few, it still has bugs.

It tends to be people who use their computer for more than posting on SWF that find these bugs though ;):D

I honestly think you would prefer Windows 7 if you had a play with it.

Windows 7 has a much small footprint and feels alot quick although actuall test say its the same as vista :-/

I've been run full blown copy on 7 for a month now and really like it, so much so that I have advised my customers that are buying new PCs/laptops to wait till 22nd.

The free upgrade to windows 7 from Vista Home Premium seems to have worked pretty well where I work fortunately.

Same here. Been running Windows 7 Ultimate for about 3 weeks, and have to say its fuctionality leaves bloated Vista standing. Get it! Its gooood! ;)

I ran Windows 7 Beta testing earlier in the year when I had a spare PC. It was very good, but nothing I'd pay proper money for. Perhaps I'm just bored with computers.

I have used the latest Snow Leopard Apple OS, and I must say it was a breath of fresh air. Far better than I remember an Apple OS being. It seemed like the best Linux, but without the nerdiness. It also didn't reek so much of Apple trendy/coolness, which turns me off immediately. However, it didn't do any everyday task that I can't do with any other OS. But credit where it is due.

The word is that upgrading from XP to Windows 7 is an absolute nightmare, but everything else I've heard has been generally positive.

I didn't think this was even possible. I thought you had to do a fresh install of windows from anything other than Vista. I've just got my copy of Vista Ultimate - just installing it now!

For those of us lucky enough to have an ac.uk email address Windows 7 Home and Pro full versions are available from the Microsoft Ultimate steal website for around £30-40. That might just be enough for me to drop Vista Ultimate.

I took up the offer of a "free" copy of Windows 7 when I bought this machine a few months ago.

When the disks finally arrive (probably not for many weeks) do I need to do a complete re-install and then reinstall all of my dirvers etc or can I pop the cd in and just do an upgrade?

Anybody know?

So, there you go, sitting at home running a working machine with XP and wanting to install Windows 7.

And bingo, you have to go off and dig through the socks drawer, the cardboard box in the corner to find ALL of the old Applications disks for anything you ever loaded onto your machine, or if you want to go online because you are missing a CD, then you you have to find your tiny scrap of paper with your product code - lol like where did THEY go?

And then you have to go off and spend about a month downloading all the applications and drivers you downloaded.

Great.

Not gonna happen is it....

This has to be Microsoft's revenge on all of us that simply refused to allow them to force Vista onto us.

BTW watching their launch down here couple of comments.

This whole GPU processing thing is going to change IT quite significantly

MS had, without a doubt the most unprofessional launch presentation I have ever seen. In fact I would go so far to as to say it was one of the worst Vendor Powerpoint I have ever seen.

The gave a geek a PC and when do Geeks ever listen when you tell them what to do? So this moron just stood in front of a huge crowd with no sound for his Video, the mouse on his laptop didn't work, the application didn't work with his version of adbode reader....FFS you had a powerpoint stick to it d*ckhead!

Shame some of the features look really good especially when the 3D & Touchscreen stuff comes out around Christmas time

I must say its about time that Microsoft have actually listned to what end users want and not just progammers!;)

No, it's more that they've once again spent some time looking at the last version of Mac OS X and played catch up by copying what they could :-$

No, it's more that they've once again spent some time looking at the last version of Mac OS X and played catch up by copying what they could :-$

Indeed, because Apple concentrate on usability on a platform on stability (ish). MS have continued to lag behind Apple because they consistently tell users how they should do something, rather than think how the user might want to do something. Spotlight being a prime example.