Walcott - cashed in too early?

Johnny Shearer

we got Theo from Swindon and paid £2000....

dont think they got a sell on clause from us either...

:supz:

Sorry, but thats totally incorrect. Swindon received a 5 figure fee from Saints when Theo was sold on to Arsenal. It was reported up here in Wiltshire that the then Swindon manager (can't for the life of me recall who it was, they have even more than us), personally thanked Mr Lowe for forwarding the cheque to Swindon without being asked. A bit of a windfall at the time (so much for the crass comment by the Scooby Troll who demonstrates once again that he knows nothing about Lowe or anything else for that matter).

Sorry, but thats totally incorrect. Swindon received a 5 figure fee from Saints when Theo was sold on to Arsenal. It was reported up here in Wiltshire that the then Swindon manager (can't for the life of me recall who it was, they have even more than us), personally thanked Mr Lowe for forwarding the cheque to Swindon without being asked. A bit of a windfall at the time (so much for the crass comment by the Scooby Troll who demonstrates once again that he knows nothing about Lowe or anything else for that matter).

either way...paying them a 5 figure sum still makes it an amazing deal for us "considering".....

It can only be seen as a good job in relation to the financial mess we were in. But when you look at all the bad decisions that created this mess, it is just another domino effect on that avalanche of financial disaster.

Agreed, I was only commenting on the sense of the deal that Crouch did in the circumstances, not whether it was good for any other reason.

The original deal by Lowe was actually quite remarkable considering Theo could have gone for a tribunal fee (though much of that was down to Theo and his parents who tried to do the decent thing and acted very honourably). Just getting £5m was a good deal. The rest was a gamble, pure and simple, and as you say, because of the bad decisions made by many, including Lowe, Wilde and Crouch (not to mention Redknapp) we are in the mess we are in, and thus the gamble did not pay off.

So shrinking violet Leon Crouch allows the Daily Echo to state Saints chairman Leon Crouch has dismissed reports the club has approached Arsenal in a bid to secure an early cash settlement in the Theo Walcott transfer, in order to avoid administration and However, Crouch denied that in a statement today. Why would he make a press statement saysing that he had nothing to say.

So to summarise, you haven't found a quote from Crouch denying he had cashed in on Theo.:rolleyes:

. A bit of a windfall at the time (so much for the crass comment by the Scooby Troll who demonstrates once again that he knows nothing about Lowe or anything else for that matter).

I'm sorry for you if you are so blinded by class hatred you can't take the sight of any praise of Lowe, and go as far as to incorrectly label such as 'crass'.

Crouch did himself no favours with this episode and it was ridiculous to hide behind Seymour Price at the time. I think the fans are entitled to know just how much we let Arsenal off.

I would have to agree as well (although there might be a small caveat coming later).

Crouch never denied that the deal was done, but neither did he come out and tell us it was done.

I didn't think hiding behind Seymour Peirce was a valid excuse for not coming clean as I'm sure other transfer fees were made public during the "takeover period (sic)" and I said as much back a few months back.

My only caveat would be if he was holding back information if it was felt it would commercially prejudice the Club, (in much the same way as Lowe told a few white lies regarding not having to sell Peter Crouch, when in all honestly we were always going to shift him and Lowe was just strengthening our negotiating position).

However, I think Crouch didn't want to tell the supporters how bad the Club's position was and instead wanted us all upbeat and positive, whereas my opinion is that supporters should be told as much as possible (without compromising the Club in any way) in an honest and open manner.

I'm sorry for you if you are so blinded by class hatred you can't take the sight of any praise of Lowe, and go as far as to incorrectly label such as 'crass'.

A very poor post I'm afraid. A dismal rehashing of earlier posts, nothing more - ridiculous yes, but where's the spark? The heights of preening absurdity? All gone, it seems. I hate to say this, but I fear that the Scooby of "Lord Lowe's 10,000-strong body of faithful supporters" is now a long way past his best, a mere shadow of the goat-scaring troll he once was.

It might be kindest now if he were given back his fiver - it's not pleasant to witness such a sad decline.

A very poor post I'm afraid. A dismal rehashing of earlier posts, nothing more - ridiculous yes, but where's the spark? The heights of preening absurdity? All gone, it seems. I hate to say this, but I fear that the Scooby of "Lord Lowe's 10,000-strong body of faithful supporters" is now a long way past his best, a mere shadow of the goat-scaring troll he once was.

It might be kindest now if he were given back his fiver - it's not pleasant to witness such a sad decline.

dont say that...this place is now very dull and Scooby (who I suspect is slightly mental) has some passion and sticks to his convictions regardless of how that makes him look......

most of scoobys posts really make me smile and this place would be alot worse without him...

F**king "A" we did...

But Lowe would probably have done the same thing........

Here we go again, the unfailing crystal ball. It was sorted by Hone and Crouch so why not vent your not inconsiderable spleen on them? It had nothing to do with Lowe, who sorted the deal out in the first place and got a lot more out of Arsenal than were willing to pay.

Guest Hacienda
dont say that...this place is now very dull and Scooby (who I suspect is slightly mental) has some passion and sticks to his convictions regardless of how that makes him look......

most of scoobys posts really make me smile and this place would be alot worse without him...

He's a trolling mong.

Some of Scooby's posts make me laugh a hell of a lot. But you're wrong about the passion and convictions - he's a troll who doesn't support Saints at all, just comes on here to wind people up. The fact that he so frequently succeeds in doing so is a cause of constant amazement to me - it can only mean that people take him seriously. I personally don't care in the slightest if he continues to post - I just want him to amuse if he does, and in that particular instance he completely failed to do so. Just think of my post as a variant of theatre criticism.

Fine avatar, by the way...

Here we go again, the unfailing crystal ball. It was sorted by Hone and Crouch so why not vent your not inconsiderable spleen on them? It had nothing to do with Lowe, who sorted the deal out in the first place and got a lot more out of Arsenal than were willing to pay.

....and that's your three.

Bye...

You are right. He is 5 short of a 6 pack but at least his insane ramblings gives everyone a laugh.

I dont understand what you are complaining about now please can you explain

Certainly.

SOGGY has come on here and used all three of his precious posts for the day (seeing as he wont cough up) slagging me off.

He stalks me round Saints chat sites in his virtual dirty old mac. He's come on here today because I stopped responding to him in other places.

I think we were totally right to have cashed in when we did, Walcott could break his leg tomorrow and we are in no position to hang around hoping for money - Lowe proved that by doing exactly the same with Bale.

As for the deal we got for Theo, it was good and the club should take credit, but I think most credit has to go to Walcott himself, he could have walked later on for a tribunal and there is nothing Lowe could have done about it. Lukily for us Theo was brought up well not dragged up like Kuntwyne Jones.

I think we were totally right to have cashed in when we did, Walcott could break his leg tomorrow and we are in no position to hang around hoping for money - Lowe proved that by doing exactly the same with Bale.

As for the deal we got for Theo, it was good and the club should take credit, but I think most credit has to go to Walcott himself, he could have walked later on for a tribunal and there is nothing Lowe could have done about it. Lukily for us Theo was brought up well not dragged up like Kuntwyne Jones.

Can't argue with any of that - except that Theo could have gone when he did with the fee decided by tribunal. Walcott (and of course his family) are very much the exception rather than the rule in their behaviour it seems.

Edited by Fowllyd

And whos fault was it that we found ourselves in this mess?

Perhaps if Lowe hadnt wasted so much of the clubs money on stupid experiments such as SCW and his waster of a mate Clifford,then maybe we could have waited for the Walcott money.

And perhaps if a few mouthy gob****es had allowed the appointment of Hoddle instead of pursuing their own purile vendetta, we would have stayed in the Premiership and Walcott would still be a Saints player now !!!!

And perhaps if a few mouthy gob****es had allowed the appointment of Hoddle instead of pursuing their own purile vendetta, we would have stayed in the Premiership and Walcott would still be a Saints player now !!!!

In the end it all comes down to the Northam and all who opposed the messiah's return. I would like to hereby put out a call to them to come forward and apologise en masse for their role in our club's downfall.

In the end it all comes down to the Northam and all who opposed the messiah's return. I would like to hereby put out a call to them to come forward and apologise en masse for their role in our club's downfall.

It was a minority, but a minority of gob****es. They will never apologise because they have either airbrushed their part in our downfall from their minds or they are too guilty for what they did.

One thing they would like to do is conveniently trivualise the event and thus detract away from their part, the most imprtant part in th downfall of this club.

It was a minority, but a minority of gob****es. They will never apologise because they have either airbrushed their part in our downfall from their minds or they are too guilty for what they did.

One thing they would like to do is conveniently trivualise the event and thus detract away from their part, the most imprtant part in th downfall of this club.

You're deluded if you think it was a minority. What makes you think Hoddle would have done any better anyway? It's not like he's Sir Alex Ferguson or anything. He's a very very average manager.

Certainly.

SOGGY has come on here and used all three of his precious posts for the day (seeing as he wont cough up) slagging me off.

He stalks me round Saints chat sites in his virtual dirty old mac. He's come on here today because I stopped responding to him in other places.

Yes I had someone like that on another site never mind.

Do you feel any better about the CB situation .

I agree not the best of situations but mangeable.

But we can only hope for the best but I do fear the worst nothing has gone right on a regular basis at SFC for near five years.

You're deluded if you think it was a minority. What makes you think Hoddle would have done any better anyway? It's not like he's Sir Alex Ferguson or anything. He's a very very average manager.

1. It was a minority. The majority did not have to cahmpion Gh as it was already in the bag.

2. Hoddle would surely have been better than PS who had lost the dressing room before he even walked into the door

3. GH was one of the most successful SFC and England managers !

Ha Ha!

Have you and Scooby had a bet to see who can try and wind up the most posters?

Please im not going to go over all of the Hoddle saga again.I think im more fed up debaiting that than i am arguing all of Lowes faults.

So tell me again Dalek,its the fans fault because of what??

Fans actually PUT MONEY INTO THE CLUB,unlike Lowe.Fans are also entitled to an opinion,so if Lowe or the board listen or dont listen,its their decision.

1. It was a minority. The majority did not have to cahmpion Gh as it was already in the bag.

2. Hoddle would surely have been better than PS who had lost the dressing room before he even walked into the door

Im sure Wolves fans found no 3 comforting!

aLSO ps HAD US WINNING IF YOU REMEMBER.

1. If it was the minority then surely you should be blaming Lowe and/or the board for making decisions purely based on what a small section of the fan base wanted?

2. Whose to say Hoddle wouldn't have done the same? He's well known for having poor man management skills. James Beattie, David Beckham, Steffan Freund, Tony Cascarino, Tim Sherwood, Ben Thatcher all criticized Hoddle's managerial skills in public (Which players rarely do)

3. He did very well with us I will give you that. England though? He only got to the 2nd round of France 98 (Including losing in the group stage to Romania), and made a poor start to EURO 2000 qualifying (Losing to Sweden, draw at home to Bulgaria) Didn't exactly set the world alight at Spurs or Wolves either, did he?

1. If it was the minority then surely you should be blaming Lowe and/or the board for making decisions purely based on what a small section of the fan base wanted?

2. Whose to say Hoddle wouldn't have done the same? He's well known for having poor man management skills. James Beattie, David Beckham, Steffan Freund, Tony Cascarino, Tim Sherwood, Ben Thatcher all criticized Hoddle's managerial skills in public (Which players rarely do)

3. He did very well with us I will give you that. England though? He only got to the 2nd round of France 98 (Including losing in the group stage to Romania), and made a poor start to EURO 2000 qualifying (Losing to Sweden, draw at home to Bulgaria) Didn't exactly set the world alight at Spurs or Wolves either, did he?

But he did very well for us at the Dell

Point is he hasn't done it many other places so there's no guarantee at all that he would have been a success second time round. Obviously he'd have been better than Wigley. Sturrock though? I personally thought he was doing ok. I don't think his record was bad, home games against Liverpool and Newcastle and away games against Man City and Wolves were awesome under Luggy.

Besides, there were plenty of managers around at the time that were far better than Hoddle, Sturrock and Wigley that we could have easily signed. People like dalek talk like Hoddle was the only good manager we could have possibly got.

Edited by Papa Shango

Point is he hasn't done it many other places so there's no guarantee at all that he would have been a success second time round. Obviously he'd have been better than Wigley. Sturrock though? I personally thought he was doing ok. I don't think his record was bad, home games against Liverpool and Newcastle and away games against Man City and Wolves were awesome under Luggy.

Besides, there were plenty of managers around at the time that were far better than Hoddle, Sturrock and Wigley that we could have easily signed. People like dalek talk like Hoddle was the only good manager we could have possibly got.

I know this is not the correct thread to discuss this topic but I thought the problem was there were no suitable candidates who were out of work but it was sometime ago.

I did not want Hoddle back but it was probably the right shout at the time.

Of course I blame a weak board in not accepting Lowe's wish to have the Messiah return to us. But the fans must take their share of the blame, and they never will. I am ashamed for them.

Well I whats your point then.

Mine is I would have thought that Hoddle would have done a better job than Sturrock Wigley and Redknapp

Perhaps he would, perhaps he wouldn't. But I do find it irritating when people write as if everything would have been OK had we only appointed Hoddle when Strachan left - we don't and can't know that it would.

I'm not having a go at you here; the main purveyor of this guff is Dalek, who has a serious and often rather scary Hoddle fixation - I don't count Scooby for obvious reasons.

Perhaps he would, perhaps he wouldn't. But I do find it irritating when people write as if everything would have been OK had we only appointed Hoddle when Strachan left - we don't and can't know that it would.

I'm not having a go at you here; the main purveyor of this guff is Dalek, who has a serious and often rather scary Hoddle fixation - I don't count Scooby for obvious reasons.

I totally agree but in our relegation season we surely should have beaten Middlesboro Everton Aston Villa with a more astute manager

That's my point. Why do people feel the need to bring it up again and again, it's ancient history now. Personally, I wanted Mark Hughes when Strachan left.

Of course I blame a weak board in not accepting Lowe's wish to have the Messiah return to us. But the fans must take their share of the blame, and they never will. I am ashamed for them.

That's a bit better. Nothing you haven't said before of course, but at least it's funny.

That's my point. Why do people feel the need to bring it up again and again, it's ancient history now. Personally, I wanted Mark Hughes when Strachan left.

Relegation has had a traumatic affect on the club and possibly lots of fans have not moved on yet and fully accept we are below average Championship side and will remain in that state for sometime hopefully

Thats great.

The season we went down we had an underperforming team,three crap managers/Head coaches,a Chairman who didnt have a clue and a board who were weak.

Yes it must be the fans fault.

I totally agree but in our relegation season we surely should have beaten Middlesboro Everton Aston Villa with a more astute manager

I wouldn't argue with that - though the draw at home to Everton was a result of a single player's actions rather than anything else; whatever I may think of Bagpuss, he couldn't do anything about that, and those two points would have kept us up. I do have my doubts about whether Hoddle would have proved to be any better, that's all.

Thats great.

The season we went down we had an underperforming team,three crap managers/Head coaches,a Chairman who didnt have a clue and a board who were weak.

Yes it must be the fans fault.

The Northam contingent are the reason a weak board did not back Lord Lowe's choice.

The Northam contingent are the reason a weak board did not back Lord Lowe's choice.

The weak board only have themselfs to blame,as does Lowe when he made mistake after mistake.

To be fair Scooby,im not Lowes greatest fan but just as i was willing to give Lowe credit when things were going well,i will give him grief when he got things wrong.

To blame the paying fans for mistakes made by those in charge is pathetic.