Laptops - interested to hear peoples opinions

Saintandy666

I'm probably going to be buying a laptop before the end of the year and I'm interested to hear peoples opinions on what ones are good to get. I can go up to about 800-900 pounds max, but 500-600 would probably be perfect.

Just wanted to see if anyone has a particularly good one at the moment that they could reccomend or one that they know of which is good.

Looking for it to last 5 years ish, 3 or 4 gigs of ram and a decent sized hardrive. I was looking at Vaio's today, are they generally any good?

I doubt you will get anything that will look much cop in 5 years time. For example I have at home an IBM thinkpad which is about 7 years old and would have been top top spec for 2002, but now 1ghz PIII, 30 gig HDD, 256meg ram, 8meg! shared graphics looks (and apart from for surfing/basic office use) and performs very poorly. Due to laptops having limited upgrade capacity, I would not ever buy one that you intend to last you more than about 3 years. Am not going to start on the Apple thing because I think I have made my feelings pretty clear on that issue over the time.

I would look for something that has around 500 gig hdd, 4 meg of ram and a dual core processor around the 2-2.5 ghz mark, and if possible dedicated graphics. Also a Bluray drive and HDMI out.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169018 Is and example, although I am sure you could find the same specs a lot cheaper by avoiding Sony, who I am told make shyte laptops anyway.

I doubt you will get anything that will look much cop in 5 years time. For example I have at home an IBM thinkpad which is about 7 years old and would have been top top spec for 2002, but now 1ghz PIII, 30 gig HDD, 256meg ram, 8meg! shared graphics looks (and apart from for surfing/basic office use) and performs very poorly. Due to laptops having limited upgrade capacity, I would not ever buy one that you intend to last you more than about 3 years. Am not going to start on the Apple thing because I think I have made my feelings pretty clear on that issue over the time.

I would look for something that has around 500 gig hdd, 4 meg of ram and a dual core processor around the 2-2.5 ghz mark, and if possible dedicated graphics. Also a Bluray drive and HDMI out.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169018 Is and example, although I am sure you could find the same specs a lot cheaper by avoiding Sony, who I am told make shyte laptops anyway.

Dankeshun :)

Depends if you want a Mac or a PC. If you want a PC then I'd recommend HP or Toshiba. Having been a laptop engineer for about 10 years now I'd generally regard them as being the best put together and most reliable. Tosh would edge it for me personally. I've had 3 Toshibas in the last 10 years and none of them have ever failed me. In fact my second one is still doing loyal service with my Dad and going strong after 7 years. All I've ever replaced in them is hard drives and memory but that was in the name of progress, not failure.

Something like this would do the job nicely;

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165966

Depends if you want a Mac or a PC. If you want a PC then I'd recommend HP or Toshiba. Having been a laptop engineer for about 10 years now I'd generally regard them as being the best put together and most reliable. Tosh would edge it for me personally. I've had 3 Toshibas in the last 10 years and none of them have ever failed me. In fact my second one is still doing loyal service with my Dad and going strong after 7 years. All I've ever replaced in them is hard drives and memory but that was in the name of progress, not failure.

Something like this would do the job nicely;

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165966

Now that is very interesting indeed :) Thanks alot.