Can anyone see Cortese putting up with this much longer ?

alpine_saint

Well, Sven Goran Eriksson was prepared to manage a team in the division below this one. Is he better than Pardew or not?

H'mmm - he was out of work and someone waved mega mega bucks in front of him but, as you know SGE, was always one to work for the love of it and the money never entered into it. But, you know, he has Nancy to maintain.

Sorry, I cannot. He's an experienced professional who has given huge support to the manager and players who arent delivering.

I expect to see more changes in personnel over the next couple of months.

I don't think that NC is a short-termist. If he thinks AP's long term plan is right he will stick with him.

What is the long term plan.

Iit is difficult to comment without knowing its content

I have a 10 year plan in my career, and I'm 5 years into it now. I wouldn't dream of telling anyone my plan or my goals. Because it's only me that should decide whether things are going to plan or if my strategy needs adjusting.

It's the same within SFC. They'll have their own targets and goals, and rightly, they'll decide in private whether things are going to plan or if things need changing.

I don't think that NC is a short-termist. If he thinks AP's long term plan is right he will stick with him.

I would imagine the vision behind the long-term plan is NCs and MLs, and AP is just a means to an end.

Therefore, if AP starts to look like he cannot bring that plan in, he will be removed.

Any sensible detalied plan will have milestones: gates by which certain things should be achieved by certain dates.

Only NC, ML and AP will know if those dates are slipping already.

Sorry, I cannot. He's an experienced professional who has given huge support to the manager and players who arent delivering.

Yes, because it is a long-term plan, and short-term, knee-jerk reactions do not help (as surely we have learned from the last 10 years?!!?).

What is the long term plan.

Iit is difficult to comment without knowing its content

Well it appears to include having a team of one paced players playing in a formation with no width, drawing as many games as possible with the odd win and a few more losses thrown in, to dance with and then if possible to succumb to relegation, whilst praising the players for doing the bare minimum and bemoaning luck!

It's definetly not, so cunning that you coud pin a tail on it and call it a fox!

At least we are visibly moving on from the veiled "I'm just voicing concerns. Tell me where in this thread am I asking for the manager to be sacked?" phase to the "I AM actually putting out there that manager should be sacked" phase. I hate all that pussy-footing around.

What a difference a week makes.

Good article - and shows what's being built behind the scenes. Taking care of the non-playing staff, building an academy which produces players with steel as well as skill, money to spend if we need it but not 'doing it large' to get out of League One. Can't argue with any of that.

Unless I was an impatient supporter with little understanding of how long it takes to turn any company round...

The facts are for the level of investment that ML has spent,the return is unacceptable,we are currently running at less than 1 point per game (certain relegation if this continues).

Nobody knows how the season is going to pan out but I would imagine that it will continue along the lines of what we are getting at the moment,probably with a couple of high points which will followed by a couple of silly last minute losses.

This 5 year long term plan that some of you keep bleating on about.......there maybe one but it doesn't mean you have to rigidly stick to it,if you had to drive from here to Aberdeen and you set your satnav to get you there only to find that one of the roads was blocked by roadworks you wouldn't crash through the barriers hoping that you will be ok and able to continue on your journey,you would find an alternate route or buy a better satnav that could steer you clear of trouble.

You cannot have a plan in football,it is a very unpredictable game otherwis every team in the country would be joint top of the premier league.

ML,cortese and pardew can sit around a table and say what they would like to happen until they are blue in the face but the liklehood of their wishes coming true are virtually zilch,there are too many factors,too many pitfalls and too many crappy players who will put an abrupt stop to the plan.

I'm guessing that they sat down and said the first year of the plan is to stay in this league and maybe scrape the playoffs,but staying in this league would be sufficient. If we continue as we are we will not stay in this league,pardew and the players are underperforming and the natives are getting restless,what does ML do?

The options are

1) throw money at the problem

2) stick with pardew and hope he can turn it around

3) don't stick with pardew and hope somebody else can turn it around

I'm guessing our current scenario wasn't part of the plan so it needs to be adjusted,if it continues then one of the above things will happen.

Getting very, very bored of pointing out that even long-term plans have to demonstrate tangible progress alone the way....:mad:

Don't bother then!

4-1 today, +ve points. Okay, one swallow does not a summer (autumn?) make, but a start.

Incidentally, after sacking Pardew who are 'you' intending to appoint?

Don't bother then!

4-1 today, +ve points. Okay, one swallow does not a summer (autumn?) make, but a start.

Incidentally, after sacking Pardew who are 'you' intending to appoint?

One of the more unpleasant aspects of this site is the sheer pettiness, schadenfreude and viciousness that prevails after a victory.

Once again, I would like to be directed to a SINGLE post where I have requested that Pardew be sacked.

I have a 10 year plan in my career, and I'm 5 years into it now. I wouldn't dream of telling anyone my plan or my goals. Because it's only me that should decide whether things are going to plan or if my strategy needs adjusting.

Plan: To become a top golfer

Goal: To win the Open

How it's going: Fail

One of the more unpleasant aspects of this site is the sheer pettiness, schadenfreude and viciousness that prevails after a victory.

Once again, I would like to be directed to a SINGLE post where I have requested that Pardew be sacked.

Yes but you have hinted that Pardew is a total waste of space :)

10 weeks into a 5 year plan and certain small minded idiots want a change of manager and direction.

Usually the same small minded idiots who don't go to games.

What percentage of your contributions on here are repeated criticisms of others fans opinions rather than any worthwhile observation of your own ? I'm guessing about 80% .

The irony of accusing others of being 'small minded' when the chip on your shoulder is obvious for all to see seems to have escaped you entirly .

What percentage of your contributions on here are repeated criticisms of others fans opinions rather than any worthwhile observation of your own ? I'm guessing about 80% .

The irony of accusing others of being 'small minded' when the chip on your shoulder is obvious for all to see seems to have escaped you entirly .

Get over yourself.

If you fail to see that only morons would call for change some 10 weeks into a 5 year plan then you clearly fall into the moron bracket.

Now, as you're obviously not too sharp on a Sunday morning I'll point out that that is an observation of my own.

I have been critical of Pardew because in my opinion he made some early mistakes. He understated the need to refresh the squad, which may also have mis-led the owners, and did not strengthen quickly enough to take full advantage of the transfer window. The signings he did make look good, but the loans may be less convincing. Overall he was still one or two short and he failed to off-load weaker members of the squad.

Having said that, there are plenty of managers who could do worse and although 4 points from the last 9 is still not good enough, my feeling is that Pardew is moving in the right direction.

It is a pity that any criticism is sometimes assumed to be a call for the manager to be sacked. On the contrary, criticism is often well-meant and is linked to a hope for improvement.

Not delivering? AP has rebuilt a team of losers in 2 months and bought in alot of fresh - decent quality players - who he now needs to experiment with to select his best way of playing and a first team.

Cortese has been sensible and spot on in his plan:

Year 1: Survival.

Year 2: Promotion to CCC.

Year 5: Promotion to Premiership

Looks pretty soundly on course to deliver does Pards at the moment.

Still, we could always re-adopt the Lowe-formula and chase off, scare off, fail to support, sack, employ frauds and keep no-one manager for more than a season or two. I think I prefer a non-Lowe strategy myself.

AP's Red and White Army!

I have been critical of Pardew because in my opinion he made some early mistakes. He understated the need to refresh the squad, which may also have mis-led the owners, and did not strengthen quickly enough to take full advantage of the transfer window. The signings he did make look good, but the loans may be less convincing. Overall he was still one or two short and he failed to off-load weaker members of the squad.

Having said that, there are plenty of managers who could do worse and although 4 points from the last 9 is still not good enough, my feeling is that Pardew is moving in the right direction.

It is a pity that any criticism is sometimes assumed to be a call for the manager to be sacked. On the contrary, criticism is often well-meant and is linked to a hope for improvement.

I would hope that we all want improvement and for me, I see clear evidence of it on the pitch.

We've made huge strides since the Millwall game and you'd have to be blind or Alpine not to see it.

Pardew wouldn't have been my 1st choice but it is obvious that he is finally moulding a team that means business.

We will only continue to improve and the play offs are a distinct possability as far as I am concerned.

Fellow students....The wise prof is stating.......Preperation at base camp is complete and after a few obstacles have been cleared, we are ready and willing to climb this blooooody great mountain........No more time for petty criticism..We MUST ALL PULL TOGETHER.......We are led by a great team in ML...NC..AP......Ethel the tea lady and even OSM and sum of his fellow posters....MOST to be fair, are right behind us..

Lets ROCK and ROLL.

However, there is a world of difference between using one's brain or the English language when making criticism and typing a tabloid wannabe blanket statement.

I criticised AP after Tuesday's game as I saw a problem in the way that Mellis was positioned. i questioned if it was team orders or Mellis.

Many others have questioned issues in a similar fashion.

Alpine's rhetorical question at the start of this thread was negative, it was worded in such a fashion as to get a negative response from many posters, no problem, that's his way of doing things.

We are seeing improvements, 10 weeks is not a big sample to say for sure that we are "the business", especially when we have had 5+ years of demise and spin against which to judge.

The point is that there is now only around 100+ regulars on here and many still post negatively because that is how they are. Almost 20,000 odd have been to the last two games though which shows

1) The forum is declining while attendances and interest in Saints has risen

2) Some people won't be happy even when we are in the CL in 7 years time

For whatever reason, nobody will have to worry about this for much longer as the rate which people get put off posting on here means the forum will unlikely last until the end of the season...

Good summary Dubai, and I've pointed out in another thread that I didn't come on here after Tuesday as although the result was depressing I didn't want to hear the all-too- predictable moans couched in over-the-top rhetorical language. If some posters were barristers they'd continually be pulled up for asking leading questions!

Specific criticisms are fine but there are far too many blanket ones made. I'm optimistic from some of the things I hear: the way AP coaches, what he's asking of the players in terms of the "nuts and bolts", the coaching team, Lambert's increased fitness, the players recruited, the fact that he is obviously trying to get others out on loan (eg Taffazoli). The fact that no-one will take Pulis is hardly his fault!!