Can anyone see Cortese putting up with this much longer ?

alpine_saint

Sorry, I cannot. He's an experienced professional who has given huge support to the manager and players who arent delivering.

I expect to see more changes in personnel over the next couple of months.

Given that you think that times were so bad under Burley Alpine why don't you jusrt give it a rest eh? You are just making an idiot of yourself.

Sorry, I cannot. He's an experienced professional who has given huge support to the manager and players who arent delivering.

I expect to see more changes in personnel over the next couple of months.

What actually does he know about running a football club ?

Given that you think that times were so bad under Burley Alpine why don't you jusrt give it a rest eh? You are just making an idiot of yourself.

I think your continual fixation with Alpine is making a fool of you.

His point is very valid.

But I dont think Cortese has much room to monuerve if he had waited kept Wotte appointed a DOF then things could have easily changed if results do not improve

I think your continual fixation with Alpine is making a fool of you.

His point is very valid.

But I dont think Cortese has much room to monuerve if he had waited kept Wotte appointed a DOF then things could have easily changed if results do not improve

Sorry, but Wotte isn't good enough and never was. Pardew seemed like the right choice, but I am getting just a little bit concerned. I'd give him till Christmas personally.

Let's examine the facts-

Pro's

Has promotion experience

Few good signings

Cons

1 win in 10

STILL 10pts from safety

Yet to find best 11

Poor substitutions (very evident tonight)

Inability to close out games

Inability to kill games off when on top

Lack of pace throughout the team, lack of balance

Off the top of my head, i know we had minimal pre-season etc but it is very worrying, the chopping and changing the personnel is not helping, we crave consistency and some pace in the team. Substitutions seem to make a negative impact when we need them to stabilise

It is disgusting.

For the players we have, to only have 9 points from 10 games is an absolute tragedy and the blame must fall on Pardew. If we fail to beat Gillingham, he must be sacked. A message needs to be sent to these f*cking useless sh*tes somehow and what better to sack a coach.

This team by now should be outside the official relegation zone, no excuses. It is a disgrace, I hope they were boooooed off the pitch. 1 win in 10. Yuck. This is League 1. LEAGUE ONE!!!!!

I can never see us ever having a good season ever again. The club is now cursed. Players come here and play rubbish. They having losing mentalities. Relegation now looks assured and I can see us struggling in League Two next season as well, because the club is a joke.

Sorry, but Wotte isn't good enough and never was. Pardew seemed like the right choice, but I am getting just a little bit concerned. I'd give him till Christmas personally.

That may well be the case but a least something could have been done if things went wrong.

But now we cant really get rid of Pardew who now has a run of Twenty league games with only one win

That may well be the case but a least something could have been done if things went wrong.

But now we cant really get rid of Pardew who now has a run of Twenty league games with only one win

What do you mean 'if'?

It was the wrong choice and there was no point at all in sticking with him.

What actually does he know about running a football club ?

Irrelevant what he knows or doesn't know about running a football club. It has to run like any business on results. If the manager doesn't deliver then a review has to take place, reports delivered on progress and forecasts given. No business, club can run on 'giving someone time' for ever. You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and there will always be a variant in opinion on where exactly you draw that line - Cortese will know where and when AP has crossed that line. The owner of Saints didn't get where he is today by standing by dead ducks when they're not producing. Very rich people are ruthless backers of winners - I back his judgement or at least his man on the case Cortese to deliver the right decision whether it's backing or sacking.

It is disgusting.

For the players we have, to only have 9 points from 10 games is an absolute tragedy and the blame must fall on Pardew. If we fail to beat Gillingham, he must be sacked. A message needs to be sent to these f*cking useless sh*tes somehow and what better to sack a coach.

A message that says, "Do what you like as it's not you that will be blamed."

Your name is something of a misnomer, isn't it?

Irrelevant what he knows or doesn't know about running a football club. It has to run like any business on results. If the manager doesn't deliver then a review has to take place, reports delivered on progress and forecasts given. No business, club can run on 'giving someone time' for ever. You have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and there will always be a variant in opinion on where exactly you draw that line - Cortese will know where and when AP has crossed that line. The owner of Saints didn't get where he is today by standing by dead ducks when they're not producing. Very rich people are ruthless backers of winners - I back his judgement or at least his man on the case Cortese to deliver the right decision whether it's backing or sacking.

Well I hope you are right but running a football club is a lot different from running a bank or finacial institution ask Mr Lowe Wilde and Crouch.

What is Cortese's criteria for success at SFC and what does he have to spend to meet these criteria

Edited by John B

I think a genuinely interesting question to ask is, "How long with the present regime allow this run of form to continue before removing the manger?".

I'd be interested to know what targets they have set. In other words, if we're in the relegation zone by Christmas will they dismiss the manager? Or alternatively, would they sit by and watch us go down this season?

I'm not implying anyway is the right way, just that it would be interestng to know what level of performance has been deemed acceptable by our board.

He knew what he was walking into, it was always going to take time and we where playing the team in THIRD place in the league tonight.

yes but they are Bristol Rovers not Liverpool or Man Utd and what about the failure to beat Carlisle, Brentford, Stockport, Swindon and 10 man Colchester???

I'm not saying sacking is the answer but it frustrates so much that we cannot hold on to a lead - I could a lot of money backing us not to win once we go ahead in a game.

We have a great squad being developed and I'm pleased we still have a club, but seriously some of our results have been shocking considering our opposition.

Christ, everyone jump on the 'Sack The Manager' bandwagon, quick! This process is going to take TIME, which is something that people need to realise. I would be with everyone else here if we had lost as many games as say Tranmere or P*mpey, but we've been picking up points, albeit not as many as we perhaps should have. We'd be extremely lucky if AP just walked in here, built the quality of team that he has and then we started winning automatically. We're still suffering a hangover from last season, and the players that we have need confidence to start winning.

Our aim this season is survival. Simple as that. Changing the manager, disrupting the harmony at the club and causing disruption in the running of the team will not help in the slightest. In fact, I think it's the last thing i'd do right now if I was NC. We need to give AP more time, don't expect miracles this season, this is the season where we adjust to the league, because this is a completely new league to our team. One look at the form table that somebody posted on the match thread (http://www.4thegame.com/football-statistics/league-one/tables/currentform.html) puts us at 15th, which is ideally the kind of position we should be finishing in this season. Don't forget we started the season on -10 points, which is going to be a kick in the teeth for any team.

Today was definately disappointing, but it's completely crazy to be calling for Pardew's head already. IMO he's here for at least two seasons, and if we don't win promotion next season or at least reach a decent stage of the play-offs then I would say that we should cast our nets out again for another manager. The thing that this club has suffered from most in the past decade or so is the lack of stability in the management. So just give Pardew a chance before you condemn him ffs.

Absolute b0ll0x. Sorry, but man for man they are sh*t compared to us. And we were at home. No excuses, the club is better than that.

F*** me you've got good eyesight!

You make a valid point though. Man for man we probably are better, but as a team we have yet to deliver. Despite the disappointment, I think there are positives from tonight's performance.

Funny how all the people slagging the thread off have zeroed in on the manager.

Freudian slip, eh ? Know deep-down he aint cutting it ?

I clearly referred to the whole playing set-up of manager and players in my OP.

Given that we can't buy or sell anyone in the next "couple of months" to which you referred, that's hardly a surprise is it Genius?

Personally I think that Christmas is far too long away. How many games between now and then?? At the current rate of wins to games etc we would only have about 2-3 wins. Are really telling me that it takes that long for a team to gel? I don't think so. If you look at Man city, gthey have bought the best players and look what they are doing in the league now. Before anyone starts spouting off......I know we have not bought the some of the best players in the world but we probably have bought the best players for this league, so I would be expecting much better progress than we are getting right now.

I owuld give Alan the whole of October. If things don't change dramtically then......football is driven by results only. Everyone knows that!

Just my thoughts.

Personally I think that Christmas is far too long away. How many games between now and then?? At the current rate of wins to games etc we would only have about 2-3 wins. Are really telling me that it takes that long for a team to gel? I don't think so. If you look at Man city, gthey have bought the best players and look what they are doing in the league now. Before anyone starts spouting off......I know we have not bought the some of the best players in the world but we probably have bought the best players for this league, so I would be expecting much better progress than we are getting right now.

I owuld give Alan the whole of October. If things don't change dramtically then......football is driven by results only. Everyone knows that!

Just my thoughts.

i think we only have 3 league games in November, so end of october is about the end of the line if we're not doing better,much better, by then.

I was up for AP to be given the whole season but if the results stay like this then I think by Xmas he will be on his way.

1 win out of 10 really is poor poor form - especially when good money has been spent on playing staff.

Weren't KK\Shearer interested in running the show?

Absolute b0ll0x. Sorry, but man for man they are sh*t compared to us. And we were at home. No excuses, the club is better than that.

I was there tonight - you weren't.

They were twice as good as us- they played with pace, width and ambition.

I'm sorry to say it but Saints are still playing like they were last season - lots of tippy-tappy pretty little triangles which get absolutely nowhere, or just a big lump up the middle hoping that Lambert or Papa get on the end of it.

Even if the do they're isolated.

Bristol Rovers broke out of defence fast and with skill.

That's how Pardew ought to get us playing - as far as I can see he's not changed much.

Given that we can't buy or sell anyone in the next "couple of months" to which you referred, that's hardly a surprise is it Genius?

Loans are still possible, and this was the reason I mentioned the next couple of months.

But what the hell, I cant stop you sneering if you are so desperate to do so..

Loans are still possible, and this was the reason I mentioned the next couple of months.

But what the hell, I cant stop you sneering if you are so desperate to do so..

Sweet, Cortese is going to show how he's not going to put up with it by keeping the managerial staff and bringing in some kids on loan.

Sure Alps, that's exactly what you meant. :rolleyes:

I think tonight is the wake up call our players need. We couldn't keep drawing and I think this loss may be a kick in the testicles the players need to go on a winning run.(I hope so anyway)

as for Pardew, he needs time!

Southampton FC - Snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory since 1885

A lot of hysteria on here tonight! Ironically, we probably played some of the best football we've played all season, and yet due to one stunning strike, people are going over the top calling for Pardew's head. We'll play a lot worse in games over the course of the season and yet we'll still come away with 3 points, that I can promise you.

A lot of hysteria on here tonight! Ironically, we probably played some of the best football we've played all season, and yet due to one stunning strike, people are going over the top calling for Pardew's head. We'll play a lot worse in games over the course of the season and yet we'll still come away with 3 points, that I can promise you.

Really? I thought Rovers got 3 goals!

I'm just back from the match and I thought they slaughtered us in the second half. It was really dissapointing and I just knew that if I logged on here I would find calls for the manager to go. Although I am as frustrated as everyone else I am still 100% (yes 100%) behind AP. It's very (very very) early days in his regime, I cannot see into the future so I cannot make guarantees but I do feel we have to be patient. Some people just want a quick fix and seem to think sacking the manager is the answer - IMO that's not the solution and I reckon Cortese is sensible enough to not panic. Unless we are 10 points adrift in January the AP has until the end of the season before I wil be judging him - he is our manager and we should support him as we do our team.

I'm just back from the match and I thought they slaughtered us in the second half. It was really dissapointing and I just knew that if I logged on here I would find calls for the manager to go. Although I am as frustrated as everyone else I am still 100% (yes 100%) behind AP. It's very (very very) early days in his regime, I cannot see into the future so I cannot make guarantees but I do feel we have to be patient. Some people just want a quick fix and seem to think sacking the manager is the answer - IMO that's not the solution and I reckon Cortese is sensible enough to not panic. Unless we are 10 points adrift in January the AP has until the end of the season before I wil be judging him - he is our manager and we should support him as we do our team.

This is all well and good if we had started on an even keel but we need 50+ points to just survive,so that's 60+ points because of our -10 and that is a big ask for a team that is currently gaining less than a point per game.

It is disgusting.

This team by now should be outside the official relegation zone, no excuses. It is a disgrace, I hope they were boooooed off the pitch. 1 win in 10. Yuck. This is League 1. LEAGUE ONE!!!!!

I can never see us ever having a good season ever again. The club is now cursed. Players come here and play rubbish. They having losing mentalities. Relegation now looks assured and I can see us struggling in League Two next season as well, because the club is a joke.

Perhaps you should follow cricket. What a ridiculous post!

The team is slowly coming together. Tonight at times we played beautiful stuff. Whe we were 2-1 up if we'd scored the next goal we would have gone on and won easily. Sadly they levelled and then worryingly we collapsed and AP's subs make little sense to me. Mills should be on loan somewhere - he's not good enough. Papa was poor and we went to sleep for their winner Apart from that there were a lot of positives.

Does anyone think that the people who appointed AP are going to put their hands up and say "we got it wrong" after ten games? I don't think so. These people are professionals who have made a professional judgement. They must have faith in him to let him make all the back room staff changes and everything else he has done. He will not be sacked this season, in my opinion, and probably not next, either.

Does anyone think that the people who appointed AP are going to put their hands up and say "we got it wrong" after ten games? I don't think so. These people are professionals who have made a professional judgement. They must have faith in him to let him make all the back room staff changes and everything else he has done. He will not be sacked this season, in my opinion, and probably not next, either.

......as long as we stay up.....