Reserves Vs Gillingham

Minsk

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=10570

I see that Rudi is back playing for the reserves tonight against Gillingham.

Saints Reserves: Forecast, Argent, Imudia, Davies, Skacel, Thomson, Hatch, White, Dyer, Paterson, Wright-Phillips

Subs: Pernecky, McLaggon, Byrne, Dunford, Reeves

I would guess that he will be starting at either LB or DM given the other players in the team.

Whilst it would be interesting to see how he performs at LB in this set-up I would have preferred to see him on the left wing or better still in the hole behind the front man.

I am also surprised that there are no Thomas, Lancashire or Mills involved tonight.

Yeah i was suprised to see no Thomas as well considering he was deemed good enough to play against Birmingham in the cup. Now all of a sudden hes dropped off the radar again. Could be injured (we all now how up to date the OS is) but more likely just being frozen out in favour of the younger players which is a shame IMO as i think he can still offer us the bite and bulk that our other defenders lack at times.

Yeah i was suprised to see no Thomas as well considering he was deemed good enough to play against Birmingham in the cup. Now all of a sudden hes dropped off the radar again. Could be injured (we all now how up to date the OS is) but more likely just being frozen out in favour of the younger players which is a shame IMO as i think he can still offer us the bite and bulk that our other defenders lack at times.

Two solutions; he's about to be loaned out-back up north or he'll be in the squad on Sunday, perhaps killer's knee ain't so great;Might see the Thomas -Cork pairing again.

Dyer and White dropped from squad for Sunday by the looks of it. Who will play on the right wing?

Squad..??

Davis, James, Svensson, Perry, Surman, Gillett, Wotton, Lallana, Schneiderlin, John McGoldrick, Holmes, Bialkowski, Cork, [Thomas], [Lancashire].

Looks like lots of centre backs to choose from. I wonder if he is going to rest Killer and play him mid week.

Dyer and White dropped from squad for Sunday by the looks of it. Who will play on the right wing?

Squad..??

Davis, James, Svensson, Perry, Surman, Gillett, Wotton, Lallana, Schneiderlin, John McGoldrick, Holmes, Bialkowski, Cork, [Thomas], [Lancashire].

Looks like lots of centre backs to choose from. I wonder if he is going to rest Killer and play him mid week.

Maybe, due to the crass stupidity of international two weeks we now have 6 games in 16 days.We'll need all the hands we can get so those playing at Gillingham are either right out of the picture on the first team front or lack sharpness so they'll get a 30minute run out..

Weird that the OS are putting a possitive spin on Skacel, yet show a picture of him looking like he can't be a*sed.

Guessing the team will look something like:

- - - - - - - Forecast - - - - - -

Imudia - Davies - Argent - Skacel

- - - - Dunford - - Hatch - - - -

- - Thomson - White - Dyer - -

- - - - - - - Paterson - - - - - -

Weird that the OS are putting a possitive spin on Skacel, yet show a picture of him looking like he can't be a*sed.

Do you think White will play the Lallana role in the same formation as the first team utilises?

Hmmmm, interesting! I saw your line-up and thought, 'Why has he put Dunford in the starting 11 when he is only a sub?' So I refreshed the OS and noticed that BWP (who I thought would be playing in the Holmes role on the left) has been completely withdrawn. Maybe he is off out on loan?

Anyway, another possible way of lining could be:

Hatch - Davies - Argent - Imudia

- - - - Dunford - - Thomson - - - -

- - Dyer- - - White - - -Skacel - -

I think this is the thing with many of our youngsters (and even with Skacel) they can each play in a variety of positions. It will be interesting to see how they do line up.

Do you think White will play the Lallana role in the same formation as the first team utilises?

I think he could.

Or he may play right, with Dyer left and Rudi in the whole. Or he may even play further back.

One of White, Thomson, Rudi or Dyer will be playing there (with two of these 4 out wide and one elsewhere).

How would you set them out? (Given that we have been told the reserves and the U18s will play to the same formation as the first team.)

Hmmmm, interesting! I saw your line-up and thought, 'Why has he put Dunford in the starting 11 when he is only a sub?' So I refreshed the OS and noticed that BWP (who I thought would be playing in the Holmes role on the left) has been completely withdrawn. Maybe he is off out on loan?

Anyway, another possible way of lining could be:

Hatch - Davies - Argent - Imudia

- - - - Dunford - - Thomson - - - -

- - Dyer- - - White - - -Skacel - -

I think this is the thing with many of our youngsters (and even with Skacel) they can each play in a variety of positions. It will be interesting to see how they do line up.

That's pretty much the line up I'd have gone for out of those 11 players, except I'd probably switch White and Skacel. I know White isn't a left winger, but we won't really gain anything playin Skacel there as that slot is already taken in the first team by Holmes. Worth trying Skacel in the hole IMO to see if he would be a better alternative to White.

That's pretty much the line up I'd have gone for out of those 11 players, except I'd probably switch White and Skacel. I know White isn't a left winger, but we won't really gain anything playin Skacel there as that slot is already taken in the first team by Holmes. Worth trying Skacel in the hole IMO to see if he would be a better alternative to White.

I fully agree.

I am also pretty sure that the 'in-the-hole' position is where he did so well for Hearts. Of course, Lallana is doing very well there at the moment but I doubt he will be available for every game this season.

I fully agree.

I am also pretty sure that the 'in-the-hole' position is where he did so well for Hearts. Of course, Lallana is doing very well there at the moment but I doubt he will be available for every game this season.

More to the point Lallana has proved in the past he can play very well on the right and could easily move over to accomodate Skacel. Dyer, Thomson and White have hardly been impressive thus far.

GILLS RESERVES 1-2 SOUTHAMPTON

Posted on: Wed 10 Sep 2008

The Gills are still awaiting their first point in the Football Combination after the Saints strolled to victory at the krbs Priestfield Stadium, writes Richard Day.

Gillingham, who had previously lost at Lewes, were beaten by a young but useful Southampton side under Dutch coach Mark Wotte which included former Czech Republic international Rudi Skacel and the pacey Nathan Dyer.

Gillingham included five trialists in their squad, Marcus Haber, a Canadian Under-23 international, Albert Jarrett, Tyron Amory, Roland Benedict, and striker Trevor Benjamin who scored one goal (against West Ham) in four appearances for the Gills on loan from Leicester City back in the 2003-04 season.

The most impressive of these was winger Jarrett, previously with Wimbledon, Brighton and Watford, who showed some neat touches and great crossing ability and had a big hand in Benjamin's 69th minute consolation.

Southampton started brightly and the Gills failed to heed an early warning, Kyle Davies volleying over a Dyer corner, when the South Coast side took a 7th minute lead. Yet another Dyer corner was powerfully headed home by American Davies from around six yards.

Chances came and went for the visitors but gradually the Gills got into the game with Jarrett to the fore. Their best chance of the half came from his 38th minute cross when Haber stole in behind his marker but his downward header was too close to keeper Tommy Forecast.

Saints striker Matthew Paterson could have helped himself to a hatful of goals but he probably knew it wasn't going to be his day when he saw his shot smack against the post minutes after the break.

Stuart Lewis was denied by Forecast at his near post and a curling Jarrett cross dropped inches wide before the visitors added a second in the 62nd minute. Dyer's corner wasn't cleared and the ball fell invitingly for Paterson to drill home a low shot past Alan Julian.

Two minutes later the Gills had vehement appeals for a penalty waved away by referee Keith Yeo when Leigh Mills goalbound header seemed to strike the hand of Skacel - all they got was a corner.

Jarrett cut inside but fired a rising shot inches over before the Gills pulled one back in the 69th minute. The winger curled in a great free-kick from the right, Ellis Munday had been fouled, and Benjamin rose to plant a firm header beyond the Saints keeper.

Yet another great run from Jarrett almost led to an equaliser minutes later. His low cross that followed eventually found substitute Tayler Thomas who in turn fed the on-rushing Mark Bentley. The midfielder evaded one challenge before seeing his shot cleared by Jeffrey Imudia.

Paterson should have done better with two chances that came his way in the closing stages. First he headed straight at Julian from a Jamie White corner then after more brilliance from Dyer, who set him up perfectly, the striker somehow steered the ball wide of the far post from close range.

Gillingham: Alan Julian, Ellis Munday, Danny Walder, Leigh Mills, Rimmel Daniel, Stuart Lewis, Tyron Amory (45 Tayler Thomas), Mark Bentley, Trevor Benjamin, Marcus Haber (74 Roland Benedict), Albert Jarrett

Subs: Rory Hill, Chris Kiely

Southampton: Tommy Forecast, Sam Argent, Jeffrey Imudia, Kyle Davies, Rudi Skacel, Tom Dunford (60 Ben Reeves), Nathan Dyer, Jamie Hatch, Matthew Paterson, Jake Thomson, Jamie White

Subs: Ryan Tafazolli, Andrej Pernecky, Kayne McLaggon, Michael Byrne