lordswoodsaints - the book?

lordswoodsaints

as there is little happening on the board at the moment i thought i would start a thread sort of in the mould of the soul cellar thread (sort of).

i went to the cinema the other day (or pictures as it was in my day) and saw an advert for the new cass pennant movie.

for those of you who are not aware of cass pennant,he was a well known figure in the west ham icf in the 80's.now i havnt read any of his books and i have no intention of seeing his film but i know people who have and they tell me that his exploits in the 80's are well documented,but...........what he fails to mention is the fact that my mate put him on his arse at an orient vs saints game (those of you who were there will know the circumstances of why he was there).

all of this got me thinking about the old days and i have just realised that i should write a book about my time following saints,i have been present at some very memorable games over the years and also been 'present' at some memorable meetings between fans.

i was involved with the meeting with denton (rip) in archers road when he also had a meeting with the pavement and also cass pennants great pompey mate rob silvestre crying like a baby ,obviously no mention of this in this little gem.....

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/pompey-21/detail/1844540723/202-3245258-9300644

i dont want to get accused of glorifying the hooligan element in society but it did happen,i was involved and i cant change the past but if these mugs can make a few quid why dont i?

some of you know me and know the truth but would anybody outside believe me? or do i just bull**** my way through as seems the norm in most of these books.

so what do you reckon,write the book or give it a miss and go back to my comfy chair with a nice cup of tea?

any storys that can be added?

Write the book. Cas pennant is a c*ckle, how could he be a member of the ICF and the 657?? did he have a division 1 team and a division 2 team like some of the girlie fans on here?

he's just a whore who will jump into bed with any wannabee hooli (rob silvestre) just to make a few quid for himself and up his profile.

the sad truth is people believe every word he writes.

he's just a whore who will jump into bed with any wannabee hooli (rob silvestre) just to make a few quid for himself and up his profile.

the sad truth is people believe every word he writes.

My missus for some reason bought me Rolling with the 657, the chapter on saints is about 2 pages long and he says there was no rivalry, we were too wet to put up a fight, I didn't believe this for a second and burnt the book.

I followed the link and then noticed there was a further link to Southampton FC which opens to

'My Life as Polluted Pond Scum (Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle)

By Bill Myers

List Price: £3.99

Price: £0.85 '

beaten to the post by Wally f**!!ing McDoogle eh Lordswood - can't win them all I guess.

(coincidence I think not, methinks our Skate friends may have someone on the inside at Amazon:cool:)

My missus for some reason bought me Rolling with the 657, the chapter on saints is about 2 pages long and he says there was no rivalry, we were too wet to put up a fight, I didn't believe this for a second and burnt the book.

they would say that.

i have met the so called 657 or their representatives on at least 2 occasions maybe 3 and have never recieved a single punch from them.

whilst we were clashing with the big boys of the old first division they were running round the lower leagues exchanging calling cards with the small clubs so they didnt really get the chance to meet with us.the best they could do was ring the wagon and threaten whoever was stood next to the phone............really big of them.

My only comments are:

Cass Pennant, where is all the much vaunted loyalty to the ICF? Hooliganism aside I can't love any other team than Saints, maybe look out for Rangers results but to get involved physically in misplaced support of two teams?

I wonder what Mr Sundance will have to say about all this?

As to writing a book? It's a free country mate, why not try and make a few bob at it. Firstly though have a word with Duncan Holley about the profit margin involved. I don't think that it has made him a millionaire.

Perhaps you should get in touch with Dougall - Saints leader from the 60s. Now there was one mean man. Hard as the proverbial and well respected up and down the country. He is still around and I hear he is into dog breeding now, but if you are after a few wild stories he's the man to contact.

Edited by Long Shot
crap sp

My only comments are:

Cass Pennant, where is all the much vaunted loyalty to the ICF? Hooliganism aside I can't love any other team than Saints, maybe look out for Rangers results but to get involved physically in misplaced support of two teams?

I wonder what Mr Sundance will have to say about all this?

As to writing a book? It's a free country mate, why not try and make a few bob at it. Firstly though have a word with Duncan Holley about the profit margin involved. I don't think that it has made him a millionaire.

tbh ESB its a bit tongue in cheek and i doubt that the memory will serve me well enough to fill the pages,and although what i am saying is the truth nobody outside of southampton would be interested which is probably the problem that duncan has.

but saying all of that it would be nice to get my memories down on paper along with the memories of other saints fans just for personal pleasure.

The only time I recall a possible arranged meeting with the 657, was when we were away at West Ham in 88 or 89 and Pompey were away to another London club. They arranged to meet up at Waterloo and were apparently not going to let us board the train without a fight. Saints had taken nearly 3,000 to Upton Park and turned up at Waterloo en mass. At the gate were about 25 Pompey fans, standing around. Up from the tube marched upward of about 500 Saints fans, the 25 Pompey fans moved out of the way and not one punch was thrown.

I considered it a lucky escape obviously!

what about when they were going to be at Wimbledon for the Dellhurst park match. There was 1 of them waiting at their meet up point by the ticket office.The rest never turned up.Dont get me wrong they can/could be handy but they are all talk when they are together and sound when you meet them 1 to 1

Out of interest, for every event you witnessed will names be mentioned, if so, do you believe those that have gone on to run business' or in fact hold any customer orientated job, which excludes very few(jobs I mean), care for their names to be documented ?

In the words of Chopper Read "Reputations are built on a hundred truths and a thousand fairy tales"

as there is little happening on the board at the moment i thought i would start a thread sort of in the mould of the soul cellar thread (sort of).

i went to the cinema the other day (or pictures as it was in my day) and saw an advert for the new cass pennant movie.

for those of you who are not aware of cass pennant,he was a well known figure in the west ham icf in the 80's.now i havnt read any of his books and i have no intention of seeing his film but i know people who have and they tell me that his exploits in the 80's are well documented,but...........what he fails to mention is the fact that my mate put him on his arse at an orient vs saints game (those of you who were there will know the circumstances of why he was there).

all of this got me thinking about the old days and i have just realised that i should write a book about my time following saints,i have been present at some very memorable games over the years and also been 'present' at some memorable meetings between fans.

i was involved with the meeting with denton (rip) in archers road when he also had a meeting with the pavement and also cass pennants great pompey mate rob silvestre crying like a baby ,obviously no mention of this in this little gem.....

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/pompey-21/detail/1844540723/202-3245258-9300644

i dont want to get accused of glorifying the hooligan element in society but it did happen,i was involved and i cant change the past but if these mugs can make a few quid why dont i?

some of you know me and know the truth but would anybody outside believe me? or do i just bull**** my way through as seems the norm in most of these books.

so what do you reckon,write the book or give it a miss and go back to my comfy chair with a nice cup of tea?

any storys that can be added?

Have you read the first 2 comments on the 657 book? I lol'ed!:smt081

The Waterloo shindig was Jan 1990. Saints v Spurs at WHL (we took about 5000) and S*um were at Palace in FA 3rd round. I believe there was some dancing at Waterloo and a proper bun fight outside the Nags Head pub in Covent Garden involving CS Gas and bar stools etc. Always thought that was an unusual venue for a meet, bearing in mind the hoardes of innocent tourists in the area.

The Waterloo shindig was Jan 1990. Saints v Spurs at WHL (we took about 5000) and S*um were at Palace in FA 3rd round. I believe there was some dancing at Waterloo and a proper bun fight outside the Nags Head pub in Covent Garden involving CS Gas and bar stools etc. Always thought that was an unusual venue for a meet, bearing in mind the hoardes of innocent tourists in the area.

correct,it was covent garden but i think it was more by chance than design.

Perhaps you should get in touch with Dougall - Saints leader from the 60s. Now there was one mean man. Hard as the proverbial and well respected up and down the country. He is still around and I hear he is into dog breeding now, but if you are after a few wild stories he's the man to contact.

I bought a chocolate Labrador off him. I named him Sam, he’s now 8 months old.

Although i didnt see anything going off at Waterloo, i was actually in the Nags Head on this day when the CS Gas was thrown in, however by the time we got out of the Pub, there was no sign of the skates, but within in minutes the Old Bill were present.

It was as if they knew it was going to happen but stayed around the corner until after the event.

Any half decent crew would have stayed for a scrap, knowing that any Saints fans coming out of the pub that day would have been disadvantaged due to the CS Gas, but it just goes to show the Skates for what they are really, just fecking pretenders and wannabees.

Probably because they didn't turn up for the previous one. Definitely was West Ham away, I remember it vividly because Rod scored after 32 seconds, Paul Rideout got the second, saints won 2-1. And, as we were kept in after the final whistle, we heard rumours and stories coming down from Hillsborough and as we walked back to the Tube, we would stop and look at the TV's in the window to find out what it was all about. First of all we thought it was a riot that had taken place.

But that's not to subtract that it was then re-arranged the following season as you have suggested and not taken away the event s that occurred, just saying it was 'arranged' for this day and we turned up in our thousands, they turned up in their tens.