96 goal scoring chances in our first 6 games

dubai_phil

96??????

i think maybe thats a slight exaggeration.

does he know that kick offs don't count as a goal scoring chance?

96??????

1987, Penn's Place. Ady Gilbert kicks off for PTJ, ball comes to me. I hit it, 1-0.

Don't say kick offs don't count!!! :)

(Subsequently one of four sublime goals scored by yours truly that season from left-wing...)

Here's the football league stats, slightly less than the 96, 65 in fact with the woodwork getting in the way four times.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/ClubShooting/0,,10794~20087,00.html

that would make it 69,if the four against the posts doesnt count as off/on target...maybe Jan has just read these stats,and remembered them the wrong way round ;)

that would make it 69,if the four against the posts doesnt count as off/on target...maybe Jan has just read these stats,and remembered them the wrong way round ;)

Actually he could be confused because in Dutch you say numbers differently.

In Dutch you would call 96 six and ninety and 69 would be nine and sixty. I think we have solved the mystery.

But even then, 69 isn't that bad. To bad we don't take our chances.

Actually he could be confused because in Dutch you say numbers differently.

In Dutch you would call 96 six and ninety and 69 would be nine and sixty. I think we have solved the mystery.

But even then, 69 isn't that bad. To bad we don't take our chances.

It can be quite pleasant.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/?page_id=10569

But only 8 goals scored

Discuss.....

(Peckhart in the squad on Sunday methinks)

because 1 striker does not work. Teams havent been playing 4-4-2 for over a hundred years because it doesnt work. 1 striker is for teams who want to go away and get a point, not to play every game. 4-2-1-2-1 is a naff formation. We could play a 4-3-3 system where the two wing forwards can slot back into midfield when we are in the lead. Similar to what chelsea used to play. Not really the same quality players but we have some cent wingers in Dyer and Holmes who could be the respective wing forwards.

---------------------------Davis----------------------------

James-----------Svensson-----------Perry-----------Surman

--------Wotton--------Schneiderlin--------lallana--------

------Dyer--------John--------Holmes------

because 1 striker does not work. Teams havent been playing 4-4-2 for over a hundred years because it doesnt work. 1 striker is for teams who want to go away and get a point, not to play every game. 4-2-1-2-1 is a naff formation. We could play a 4-3-3 system where the two wing forwards can slot back into midfield when we are in the lead. Similar to what chelsea used to play. Not really the same quality players but we have some cent wingers in Dyer and Holmes who could be the respective wing forwards.

That's a new one on me - is that central wingers or 50 cent wingers:-)

Although actually I agree I still hold out hopes that the formation will gently morph into something approaching the Chelsea style where the wingers move in and the "in the hole" player moves out to give the width.

We can but watch what the coaches have done

Just hope our lads pay more attention to their instructions than Cole & Rooney seemed to last weekend:-)

. Teams havent been playing 4-4-2 for over a hundred years because it doesnt work.

QUOTE] you are correct teams haven't been playing 4-4-2 for a hundred years but it came to the for in the 1966 world cup.

If we play 1 up front with the midfield /wingers joining up the attack it becomes a potent weapon.We must not lose faith with this entertaining brand of football too quickly.

I sorry but thats a load of Billy-Bullshine. That's sixteen chances per match! . I have not come away from any game thinking we could have got 16 goals in that match if we had had better forwards. Their defination of "goal scoring chance" must be pretty liberal. I like Jan, but i'm already starting to worry about him. I think eventually he is going to go mental.

We are playing something very similar to what Chelsea played under Mourinho. And to say one striker doesn't work, Dutch teams have played it for ages. Besides that, just look at Holland the euro's this year. One striker van Nistelrooy supported by three attacking midfielders (choose from: van der Vaart, Sneijder, van Persie and Robben). On paper our team might look like this:

----------------Wotton--------Schneiderlin-----------------

Dyer-------------------Llalana-----------------------Holmes

-------------------------John------------------------------

But you might as well put it down on paper pike this:

------------Wotton---------------------Schneiderlin--------

---------------------------Llalana--------------------------

Dyer-----------------------John---------------------Holmes

In one we play one striker in the other 3 but essentially the line-ups are the same.

Presumably the 4-4-2 is pure hyperbole, as when I was a youngster the formation was 2-3-5 and I've quite a way to go before my century.

I think that the trouble with one up front is that it relies on the players out wide or the player in the hole behind the striker to be capable of scoring goals themselves. Lallana seems capable of doing that, Euell has had a good goalscoring record historically, but perhaps not now. The wide players are less capable of scoring IMO and their crosses ought to be from the byline preferably for others to run onto to.

The system could work, but needs fine tuning. It's too early to tell what its potential might be, but I worry that others will suss us out and negate us strategically.

We are playing something very similar to what Chelsea played under Mourinho. And to say one striker doesn't work, Dutch teams have played it for ages. Besides that, just look at Holland the euro's this year. One striker van Nistelrooy supported by three attacking midfielders (choose from: van der Vaart, Sneijder, van Persie and Robben). On paper our team might look like this:

----------------Wotton--------Schneiderlin-----------------

Dyer-------------------Llalana-----------------------Holmes

-------------------------John------------------------------

But you might as well put it down on paper pike this:

------------Wotton---------------------Schneiderlin--------

---------------------------Llalana--------------------------

Dyer-----------------------John---------------------Holmes

In one we play one striker in the other 3 but essentially the line-ups are the same.

holland, the team that has never won the world cup ;)