Computer Help

spyinthesky

Any young whizz kid out there who can offer some assistance to a poor old pen and ink man who doesn't understand the new fangled lap top thingy.

I have a good internet connection but trying to access my emails all I get is a blue circle which rotates for a while and then disappears.

I have tried switching the lap top off but this doesnt help.

Appreciate any guidance.

Nick/Steve

Thanks for in put so far.

Orange provide the Internet connection to the house.

There are two other computers in the house and none of these have a problem with emails

The lap top is company provided (I work from home) and there is no fault elsewhere in the company, they all seem to be receiving emails OK

Appear to be able to access all sites bar email

Nick/Steve

Thanks for in put so far.

Orange provide the Internet connection to the house.

There are two other computers in the house and none of these have a problem with emails

The lap top is company provided (I work from home) and there is no fault elsewhere in the company, they all seem to be receiving emails OK

Appear to be able to access all sites bar email

when you say "disappears" what do you mean? Any "page cannot be displayed" messages?

Can you access the email page on the other machines?

Mike

I go into Microsoft Office Outlook email icon and that's when the blue circle appears temporarily. Once it disappears I'm left in limbo

No messages appear

whilst I can access emails on the other PC's in the house, I can't access my work's email details which are contained on my laptop

Mike

I go into Microsoft Office Outlook email icon and that's when the blue circle appears temporarily. Once it disappears I'm left in limbo

No messages appear

whilst I can access emails on the other PC's in the house, I can't access my work's email details which are contained on my laptop

ah ok so its not internet problem then. Have you ever been able to access email on this laptop?

If you are accessing your work e-mail remotely, are you using 'normal' OUTLOOK or OUTLOOK Web Access ? Also, are you sure you are not using any form of VPN system ?

If you are remotely accessing work's servers, it is most unlikely that OUTLOOK will be permitted to work, unless you have something like an SSL tunnel VPN, the firewall configuration and security considerations otherwise are a nightmare. If you are using a VPN, it might be that the tunnel is failing to initialise for some reason. A common problem is a conflict with other applications on the laptop over the JAVA version, something you would not be likely to experience within work as you would not be using the VPN to access OUTLOOK.

( And it's a loooooooong time since I was a YOUNG whizz kid ! )

• 2 weeks later...

Completely unrelated, but can anyone help me?

When using my laptop I have a wireless innernet connection. For some reason it's not always working though. The little computer picture in the bottom right of the screen generally always says it's connected, with either an excellent or very good signal strength. Despite that though it often fails to access webpages saying 'this page cannot be displayed' etc.....even when it still says its connected. Anyone know why this would be? How do I check my connection speed?...and how would i fix it?

When using my laptop I have a wireless innernet connection. For some reason it's not always working though. The little computer picture in the bottom right of the screen generally always says it's connected, with either an excellent or very good signal strength. Despite that though it often fails to access webpages saying 'this page cannot be displayed' etc.....even when it still says its connected. Anyone know why this would be? How do I check my connection speed?...and how would i fix it?

I think you might have spilt water on your Mogwai mate.