17 Queens Park Rangers 14,964 15,536 15,250

18 Crystal Palace 14,071 15,614 14,843

19 Barnsley 12,987 14,223 13,605

20 Preston North End 12,089 14,225 13,157

21 Plymouth Argyle 9,203 14,789 11,996

22 Doncaster Rovers 11,806 11,873 11,840

23 Burnley 10,032 11,312 10,672

24 Blackpool 8,244 8,611 8,428

Terrible figures, not too surprised though with Lowe coming back and flogging the whole first team. You can't expect people to fork out £30 to watch a team they could have seen play for nothing at Staplewood last year.

If we play well attendances should go up a decent amout - that's the only good thing.

Terrible figures, not too surprised though with Lowe coming back and flogging the whole first team. You can't expect people to fork out £30 to watch a team they could have seen play for nothing at Staplewood last year.

If we play well attendances should go up a decent amout - that's the only good thing.

How dare you apologise for the behaviour of the stay-aways. If anybody allows politics to get in the way of support for their team, then they are no longer a fan in my eyes.

Guest Hacienda
How dare you apologise for the behaviour of the stay-aways. If anybody allows politics to get in the way of support for their team, then they are no longer a fan in my eyes.

Thankfully the world doesn't give a toss what you think.

Guest Hacienda

Where is the 10,000 strong "Lowe's army" who you told us would come flooding back?

Where is the 10,000 strong "Lowe's army" who you told us would come flooding back?

I think you'll find that his Scoobness answered that on another thread a few weeks back. It was a side-splittingly funny post, quite brilliant even by his standards. Here it is:

The 10,000 have returned. It has been known for a long time that Lord Lowe has a personal body of men who number upwards of 10,000 - the 10,000 who left en masse following the night of the long knives - and it was today that they came back to see an exciting, progressive game of total football.

Disappointing that the flat caps who mindlessly supported Crouch's reign of terror could not do the same. Only 7,000 of that contingent returned for the first game of the season. I do not classify that sort of 'fan' as a fan.

Sadly, I don't think he'll ever reach those heights again...

The only way we'll see an increase in the gates will be through OPTIMISM.

That will come from one of 2 possibilities:

1. JP performs a miracle and we start winning regularly (unlikely in my opinion). We are currently 5th from bottom and likely to continue to fall in my opinion.

2. TAKEOVER and the removal of the likes of Lowe and hopefully the plc system that - in Wilde's own words - have made us into a 'Feeder Club' who will have to sell our young players anyway to continue to survive.

We have to do everything we can to encourage a takeover of this club. We must think about how to attract investment. Personally I would suggest we form a Presentation Team made up of fans, former stars (e.g. MLT), Southampton City local government officials and Wilde who we invest some cash into and send around the world to every potential Football investing millionaire and SELL THIS CLUB.

We are going to go down again (eventually) under this system. We simply have to promote the club for a takeover as soon as possibly.

Mike - I know you're a decent bloke and reading this. Let's get a team together and sell this Club!

disgraceful that 30,000 derby fans will support their team week in week out while we can only get 15k

be ashamed you potato couches

But Derby only got "30,000...week in week out" once they looked liked making it to the 'promised land' and for their calamitous one season up there. Like everyone else they came back down expecting to "win week in week out" and get promoted. After their start, watch their crowds start dipping and if they remain in this division for another couple of years I'm guessing they'll be down to 15k anytime soon.

The most important factor that will lead to an increase in attendances is for the team to WIN AT HOME (sorry to shout but its a simple fact that some people, such as Wilde and Lowe don't seem able to comprehend). Nothing else will make that change, nothing. It really doesn't matter if we win at home looking like Brazil or looking like England beating Andorra, 3 points regularly at home will bring the crowds back.

Actually, I will take back a little bit my dig at Wilde, because he did hint at this when he went on about St Mary's becoming a fortress, sadly no-one seems to have taken this on board. We have had 2 home league games this season and lost both, and last season we had one of the worst home records in the League. People have to enjoy going to football, and the best way to do this is to beat the opposition.

Simple formula, win home games, increase home crowds

its more to do with the rubbish we watched last season, losing lots of games and finishing low in the league than the board.

If we struggle this season the crowds will be low whether its Lowe, Crouch or Fulthorpe or who ever.

If we win the crowds will return.

People don't pay their money to watch the directors box, neither do they stay away cos of it.

disgraceful that 30,000 derby fans will support their team week in week out while we can only get 15k

be ashamed you potato couches

30,000 week in, week out? When was this then?

Derby over the five seasons before they got promoted averaged between a low of 22,199 to a high of 25,944 each season (yes, that's 25,944 the season they were top of the league until Feb and got promoted).

They got 30k plus in the Prem, but so would (did) we :rolleyes:

Someone give those Derby fans a cigar, they really are so super duper what with their average attendences in this division being exactly the same as ours.

Last years ****e performances folowed by unpalatable return of Lowe followed by a first team full of players that the casual fan won't even have heard of. The only way to get the casual fans is...winning on the pitch... and if that happens then the Lallana's and Surman's of this world will be sold... get used to a half empty ground chaps...

It means that every season I can move my ST to a better spot in the ground...

its more to do with the rubbish we watched last season, losing lots of games and finishing low in the league than the board.

If we struggle this season the crowds will be low whether its Lowe, Crouch or Fulthorpe or who ever.

If we win the crowds will return.

People don't pay their money to watch the directors box, neither do they stay away cos of it.

So pathetic an opinion!

Have the figures taken into account which clubs have had their home games televised this season? Our lowest figure was for a televised game and that will have dragged our average down. I can't deny though that our attendances are down and I think that at least some of this is a hangover from where we finished last season. I'm surprised to see QPR with their millions and Watford getting substantially smaller crowds than us.

Very interesting viewpoint.

Coming from the man who when lowe was ousted stated and i quote

"I will not return to st marys or spend any money on the club whilst these tinpots are in charge of the club"

Now that in your own words meant you put politics before the support of the club and not a fan in your own eyes.

Interesting viewpoint really glad to see you realise your previous standpoint made you persona non grata.....

Hoisted by your own petard....

Once again the loweite sheep are grazing on insanity meadows.....

when we have 3.00 kick offs on a saturday we will get a true indication on attendances.Our midweek games normally only get 18000/19000 and are a lot lower than saturdays.Our 1 saturday game so far was on sky and an earlykick off still in the holiday season so the 15000 attendance may not be a true reflection on attendance trends and just a 1 off?

I'm surprised to see QPR with their millions and Watford getting substantially smaller crowds than us.

Most STs are £525 to £700 for us and a couple of hundred at £10k.

Also, Weve had Donny and Barnsley at home which meant there was at about 2k spare in the away end and about 1k spare in all of the home areas.

The Norwich figures mean nothing as there is f*ck all else to do in that crappy town.

I like it here, plenty to do, nicer town than Southampton probably because it suffered fewer bombs in the war. What's that got to do with football?

Oh yes, Norwich fans do seem suprisingly resiliant given what they've had to put up with. However I think we're shaping up better for the future than they are.

Guest Hacienda

Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean it's true.

People are staying away because of Lowe/Wilde and there is no point in denying it.

People are staying away because of Lowe/Wilde and there is no point in denying it.

Just out of interest ( and in no way am I trying to provoke an argument ) - How many at a rough guess would you say are Staying Away.

People are well within their rights to speak with their feet - Just being OS and out the loop it would be interesting to guage.

Cheers

the only people who would stay away cos of them are the likes of Crouch -but he still goes!

They are still going!

People maybe staying away because they don't think football will be good because of selling players or just optimistic. Its only on here we obsess about the board!

Keep saying doesn't make it true -it just is!

Seem to remember we sold cupfinal tickets quite easily under Lowe?

Just out of interest ( and in no way am I trying to provoke an argument ) - How many at a rough guess would you say are Staying Away.

People are well within their rights to speak with their feet - Just being OS and out the loop it would be interesting to guage.

Cheers

people are staying away because they have no money or have better things to do with what they have, it's straight up and down.Not enough local support, people travelling from all over the place,now that petrol and diesel have gone up they don't attend. It's really simple. The "credit crunch" is biting, that's all.

Seems all you lot looking at the table I added have taken me over my usage limit at geocities, so here's the table again so others can see it too :

tableny1.jpg

So what does that prove then?. We've got a nice ground and a bunch of fickle supporters that are only interested in the glitz and glamour of "stars" and the premiership.We should have stayed at the Dell, Southampton doesn't need a 32000 capacity ground as we only have 15000 real supporters, the rest are just students and occasionals.

in fact there are some figures that are quite informative here. Take Coventry. First home match 22607,they won, second home match 17994 ,they lost. So a sudden drop of nearly 5000, why? who knows, perhaps it's because they played Newcastle in the Carling midweek and people just can't afford to go to 2 matches in a week any more.I mean there shouldn't be any staying away at Coventry because of politics should there Nor manager sacking ,nor lack of investment (warf warf).

Yet their two home games have different attendances of nearly 5K.It's about MONEY.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Some may be but a lot fewer than you appear to think. I am quite convinced that if the team went on a winning run attendances would rapidly grow. Nothing like winning to make you feel good. The anti-Lowe stayaways will probably still stay away but so what!

Don't think the figures will actually change much......... from who I talk to on a regular basis, its football itself that is losing its freshness.........its not value for money, there is a tightness in the weekly family budget. and its just getting a bit stale all round........not just Saints.

Because money talks and loyalty is to the money its bound to disillusion the average fan.......i guess it evolves like everything else, but frankly I'm not keen on what its becoming, so I'll watch with interest with the other 15,000 that stay away. I'll go to the odd game but thats it..........

Bit early in the season to start talking attendances isnt it ??

I mean we have only played twice at home - and one of them a televised match.

A televised match starting at midday with the away team bringing 5 fans and their dog, and a game in the middle of the peak summer holiday weeks.

Not saying the attendances are good but it is WAY too early to make judgement calls, in the same way it is way too early to make calls about walking the league, going down or being simply doomed.

Talk about short-termism:-)

What is FAR more worrying is the fact that this forum now seems to ONLY have 65 active posters and most occassions over a weekend

A televised match starting at midday with the away team bringing 5 fans and their dog, and a game in the middle of the peak summer holiday weeks.

Not saying the attendances are good but it is WAY too early to make judgement calls, in the same way it is way too early to make calls about walking the league, going down or being simply doomed.

Talk about short-termism:-)

What is FAR more worrying is the fact that this forum now seems to ONLY have 65 active posters and most occassions over a weekend

Students all, won't be back on their free wireless networks for at least another couple of weeks.Perhaps a few have given up posting whilst Lowe and Wilde are in charge.