The Poortvliet interview

Master Bates

Jan Poortvliet spent two years as a carpenter riding his bicycle 30 miles to and from work every day before getting his big break in football.

In today’s first part of the Daily Echo’s definitive interview with Saints’ head coach, also Poortvliet reveals that he could so easily have missed out on the chance the chance of a career in professional football.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/3653095.Remarkable_story_of_Jan_Poortvliet/

Peddle 14 miles a day? Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hours a day at mill, for twopence a month, come home, and dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle... IF we were lucky!

Peddle 14 miles a day? Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hours a day at mill, for twopence a month, come home, and dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle... IF we were lucky!

You lived in a lake. I'd have sold my sister for that sort of luxury, and hot gravel - that's haute cuisine is that. We had to live in a leper colony and only ate at Christmas if we managed to catch a mouse int trap. For heat, Dad used to suck a polo mint every third Thursday of the month and all fouteen of us would gather round with our frostbitten ands out to catch some of the warmth. Then we'd show subserviance to the master by crawling 47 miles to work in nowt but our hand me down knickers to work for 23 and half hours a day for a halfpenny a lifetime. We we thought we were lucky.

Tell the kids that today and they wont believe yer.