One lucky fella !!!!!!

harvey

His popularity amongst SFC fans is somewhere between zero and minus at present. And is unlikely to improve in the next few years unless his attitude, behaviour, and standard of play goes way up the scale. This sort of stunt, where he manages to be photographed in a petrol station obtaining free petrol is grounds for employing a PR assistant, because clearly he has no idea.

Of course, all he needed to do was say to reporters, I just came in to get my car filled up with petrol, and they gave me £25 worth's free. I said, That's ok, I'll pay. Pass it onto the next customer.

Then he would have at least come out of it with sort of dignity. This way, to ordinary earners, it's almost another form of stealing. Perhaps steering clear [sorry] would have been the best way to go.

A Hampshire police spokesman told the Daily Echo this week: “There was a total of five people involved but we never managed to identify the others.”

Probably more of our players - most of them went missing last season...

Many a true word spoken in jest!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Let's leave it at that

Somebody commented under the article that at least he hadn't grassed up his mates and as a result they haven't been apprehended. But at least some twisted morality of so-called honour amongst thieves has been satisfied, so that's alright then.

Presumably because Dyer was guilty of withholding evidence from the Police and so his punishment was increased to a few more hours of community service.:rolleyes: B-WP who was also there, escaped punishment altogether because of lack of evidence, although one would have thought that aiding and abetting could have been proven and as he was also there, he too withheld evidence about the identity of the accomplices.

Justice in this land is a joke.

To be honest, somebody SOMEWHERE should give him a roasting (sic) for this

There's a massive recession going on, a Radio station plays a cheap publicity stunt (not good either) and then a rich kid brat upsets people who may just have needed a bit of help.

Football is an entertainment BUSINESS, it is supposed to have an image. Well done Nathan.

Oh and it was Power FM, I suppse that makes him a cheapskate

Dyer made a stupid mistake...

In a nightclub..

Whilst probably Pi*sed...

And mixing with some dubious characters

He's a kid

He isn't bright

He plays football

We all make mistakes

I don't in any way condone what he did .. it was totally wrong ...he pleaded guilty and he has been punished by the courts and the media

FFS get off his back and give him a chance! Isn't that what being British is about? Or perhaps used to be about?

I suspect he only pleaded guilty because it was all caught on CCTV, not because he was doing the right thing (odd turn of phrase in the circumstances!).

Yes, people are due a second chance but I think this is the point people are making, he is on his second chance and then does this...clearly he needs to be sat down and spoken to about what taking your second chance is all about.

Last time I checked it wasn't an offence to take free fuel off a crap radio station??

Correct.

My point is actually that anybody on 250k a year and who is in the public eye is out of order taking 25 quids worth of free petrol PUBLICLY from anyone, let alone a crap radio station.

Anyone with an ounce of understanding for PR or their importance in society would, in this current time of hardship to ordinary people over fuel costs have turned this around, the story would be bigger for both the person AND the radio station by, for example offering the prize to another driver, THEN offering to "fill up the car" for that winner and being photographed while doing it.

I'd make the same point whether it was Dyer, JP, Rupes or some local entrepreneur. We've seen enough posters on here pointing out the problems the UK is facing, that 25 quid could have let some retired folks on state pension go out on a trip to see family or friends for a day (or just get in your way on a Sunday afternoon).

I actually thought that one of the roles of our academy was to teach the youngsters this exact sort of thing.

Dyer made a stupid mistake...

In a nightclub.. WHERE HE SHOULD NOT OF BEEN

Whilst probably Pi*sed... WHICH HE SHOULD NOT OF BEEN

And mixing with some dubious characters BWP ???

He's a kid REALLY ? AT HIS AGE !!

He isn't bright WHAT DO YOU BASE THIS ON ? HIS SALARY NEGOTIATIONS ??

He plays football SO THIS MEANS WHAT ?

Mistake ? an error, a misunderstanding, his actions were calculated and he has been convicted, you don't get a criminal conviction for making a mistake, none of the above excuse his actions, this again is not just poor judgement

I suspect he only pleaded guilty because it was all caught on CCTV, not because he was doing the right thing (odd turn of phrase in the circumstances!).

Yes, people are due a second chance but I think this is the point people are making, he is on his second chance and then does this...clearly he needs to be sat down and spoken to about what taking your second chance is all about.

Odd that he was caught on CCTV, and like BWP it was possible to identify who he was, but the other three who were involved were also on CCTV but no-one is able to identify them. Just shows how useful CCTV really is, unless you are a (very) minor celeb, the chances of being apprehended by CCTV is nil. Its a long time since I've been to a Club, don't people have to be signed in these days? It seems to me the poice here just wanted the easy option, instead of doing some investigation. Everyone has the right to remain silent when questioned, I suspect this is what Dyer did. Still does not condone what he did, the guy is obviously a total plank, but at least he did take the rap for it and didn't try to get his sentence reduced by blaming it on someone else.

Correct.

My point is actually that anybody on 250k a year and who is in the public eye is out of order taking 25 quids worth of free petrol PUBLICLY from anyone, let alone a crap radio station.

Anyone with an ounce of understanding for PR or their importance in society would, in this current time of hardship to ordinary people over fuel costs have turned this around, the story would be bigger for both the person AND the radio station by, for example offering the prize to another driver, THEN offering to "fill up the car" for that winner and being photographed while doing it.

I'd make the same point whether it was Dyer, JP, Rupes or some local entrepreneur. We've seen enough posters on here pointing out the problems the UK is facing, that 25 quid could have let some retired folks on state pension go out on a trip to see family or friends for a day (or just get in your way on a Sunday afternoon).

I actually thought that one of the roles of our academy was to teach the youngsters this exact sort of thing.

There we are agreed. Anyone with half a brain in his position keeps a low profile and simply gets on with proving how committed they are to being a success at what they do.

But being a footballer, he's not blessed with half a brain. And clearly the Lowe PR machine does not extend to advising the players...

Not just a publicity stunt organised by Power FM then.

Ever thought how pat it is that Dyer turns up at the pump in the first 25 people. Must have been quite a few applicants, but he's there in the 25 firstcomers.

Must have been tipped off ehh. Does he actually live near the pump in question?

Anyone count exactly how many people got the free petrol, 25 or 26?

An interesting question. Would we be reacting in the same way if it had been Drew Surman or Stern John taking advantage of this?

Yes, it's not that it was ND it was the fact he took £20 of petrol instead of someone who needed it.

The fact he is a thieving toe-rag that brought shame on the club, his family & refused to assist the police, nothing to do with it !!

Yes, it's not that it was ND it was the fact he took £20 of petrol instead of someone who needed it.

So you expected him to listen to it, realise he was close by and needed petrol but to park the car and wait for 20 people to go in before him?

Or maybe he wasn't listening and just got lucky.

I lol'ed

Correct.

I think we all know how much Dyer values his importance to society!

has he broken the law again or something...?

The fact he is a thieving toe-rag that brought shame on the club, his family & refused to assist the police, nothing to do with it !!

terry hurlock brought shame to the club for being ****ed when driving, so did james beattie, franny benali brought shame to the club with his shocking number of red cards, david prutton brought shame to the club, MLT commited adultery and brought shame to the club..

jesus, no one cares about saints....or about dyer to that matter in the real world

oh, how on earth do you know that he has refused to assist the police??? because the daily mirror has told us this?

Edited by Thedelldays

Do you really believe that any player at Saints, other than ND or maybe BWP, would actually be so crass as to do that?

I really don't know. I just thought that the reaction may be because it is Dyer, rather then the notion that someone who really doesn't need to take advantage of anything like this did. Just testing the water.

terry hurlock brought shame to the club for being ****ed when driving, so did james beattie, franny benali brought shame to the club with his shocking number of red cards, david prutton brought shame to the club, MLT commited adultery and brought shame to the club..

jesus, no one cares about saints....or about dyer to that matter in the real world

what are you talking about gheydays??

An interesting question. Would we be reacting in the same way if it had been Drew Surman or Stern John taking advantage of this?

Yes, certainly I would. And I would react the same way if it was Daniel Craig, David Tennat, Jade Goody Boris Jokeson, Richard Branson, EVEN dear departed Chorley or any other person in the public eye at THIS time of problems with fuel bills being all over the national media.

It wasn't the right thing to do.

Personally I don't give a fook that it was Dyer, I just think the Radio Station and the "celeb" were EQUALLY unwise and SHOULD have made much better mileage from the PR opportunity.

I really don't know. I just thought that the reaction may be because it is Dyer, rather then the notion that someone who really doesn't need to take advantage of anything like this did. Just testing the water.

I see your point, and it is valid although there are players elsewhere who would probably fall into the category of being 'selfish oiks' and do the same thing. Barton immediately sprang to mind! I just couldn't see the likes of Surman taking advantage, in fact I reckon that he may well have been embarrassed by the whole thing.

football players get free stuff daily...big deal

Most people get something free every now and then. Although I'm pretty sure that the average Joe Soap, if paid well enough and under the spotlight for thieving, may well have avoided the spotlight at all costs. But then the likes of Dyer have not the faintest notion of how they are perceived because they already have an over inflated ego and self opinion.

No :goodman:

No of course it doesn't really matter. Perhaps only to Saints fans, and people who have interest in justice and injustice. The ordinary public probably wouldn't give a toss.

But guess what... if you explained all the mitigating circumstances regarding Nathan Dyer that inspired this thread, those same people would probably think the lad hadn't done the right thing.