Killer

Professor

Desparately hoping that Michael Svensson's performance against Blackpool was a 'blip'. On that day he was second in arial challenges, slow to get to 50-50 balls and unable to stay with attackers at speed. He was still good with unchallenged arial balls and with his passing play, but as the weak spot in defence, he put pressure on the other defenders.

That was the first time I'd seen him play this season as he wasn't in the cup side against Brum, when the defence played well. What is the opinion of people who saw him in the league match against Brum, or at Cardiff or Derby? Was the Blackpool game an exception, or not? Is he likely to be rested against QPR or is a 2-week break enough for him to come back stronger?

Perry and Svensson had been brilliant in the other 3 league games. The Blackpool game was definately a blip IMO. It looked to me like they were playing to high up the pitch, and when you've got CBs that slow, they will be left exposed.

Also I thought Svensson looked very tired, he didn't seem to have the energy to even jump for a header. Hopefully the two week break will give him time to recover, after all he has had a tough pre-season and hadn't really played football for a few years before that.

I'm not worried because he's played four games, won everything in 3 of them and only looked bad because he came up against Burgess (who will make most CBs in this league look bad).

that is fine as long as every team we play just hoofs it up in the air..

I was more alarmed at the horrendous lack of pace at the back when their players ran through at ease so many times..

that is fine as long as every team we play just hoofs it up in the air..

I was more alarmed at the horrendous lack of pace at the back when their players ran through at ease so many times..

Which is why I don't like playing Surman and James.

Perry and Svensson are great together, I don't want to sacrifice that when we could just be using the fullbacks and Gillett to deal with any pacy strikers.

Which is why I don't like playing Surman and James.

Perry and Svensson are great together, I don't want to sacrifice that when we could just be using the fullbacks and Gillett to deal with any pacy strikers.

um....it was all last ditch from perry and killer...they have no pace what so ever and we will get beat like that again and again if something is not changed at the back...

um....it was all last ditch from perry and killer...they have no pace what so ever and we will get beat like that again and again if something is not changed at the back...

I'm referring more to the Birmingham at home game than the Blackpool one, where they looked much better.

I thought we played 6 and won 3.

Anyway, this was definatly a blip from Svensson. We played with a ridiculously high line which just wasn't needed when we have an already packed midfield, we should have had Perry and Svensson about 5-10 yards infront of the area and Schneiderlin and Gillett just infront of those two with the full backs pushing on.

I think Svensson will definatly benefit from a couple of weeks off with light training, he looked more tired than the other three games and it was a pretty hot day against Blackpool which must not have helped.

I thought we played 6 and won 3.

Anyway, this was definatly a blip from Svensson. We played with a ridiculously high line which just wasn't needed when we have an already packed midfield, we should have had Perry and Svensson about 5-10 yards infront of the area and Schneiderlin and Gillett just infront of those two with the full backs pushing on.

I think Svensson will definatly benefit from a couple of weeks off with light training, he looked more tired than the other three games and it was a pretty hot day against Blackpool which must not have helped.

of course we have...but, then again exeter are not in our league are they and we did not pick up any points...the league is where it matters in all honesty......

the trouble in playing perry and killer deep is that it makes huge gaps in the park for the opposition to expliot and for our own players to cover...

seeing as we are not that good at the back, that is a dangerous game to play really....inviting pressure on you and hope to hit them on the counter..

look, im sure we will be fine this year but IMO, cork should partner killer at the back or we will see what we did at the back against blackpool again and again this season....

of course, it might not be an issue if/when we actually learn to convert chances on a more regular basis...

I'm more worried about the lack of proper fullbacks which has been exposed in the games i've seen recently. I thought Cork looked good when he came on at Derby and would play him at right back. Don't think we have any other options at left back?

Part of the problem against blackpool is Perry and Killer had no effective midfield in front of them on the day and had to resort to desperate defending at times.

Too early to write off Killer but no surprise some people on here have already :-(

Andrew Davies has 2 reserves games at Stoke and is on a loan for 3 months to us in order that he can get up to speed for the premiership at the same time we loan Pulis back to Soke so he can get up to speed and when he returns we can start paying him

to see if he is good enough.

In the meantime Olly Lancashire may well be the answer. But whatever happens I would hope Cork plays.

Wasn't it Perry and Svensson that both went for the same player against Birmingham just before their first goal? They normally work well together so let's hope that they can sort it out and that Svensson will get fitter. Otherwise I agree, it's a concern. Luckily we have Cork & Thomas who, I thought, settled down well after a shaky start.

After watching Svensson against Blackpool I have to admit that I was a tad concerned. He seemed very off the pace and was beaten to almost everything in the air.

I suppose Killer will have some off games due to spending the best part of 4 years out on the sidelines and it is fair to say that he may still be finding his feet again. Not only that, but Burgess put himself about a bit and really used his height and power to both his and Blackpool's advantage.

Fingers crossed this was just a blip and I hope to see Svensson back to his best against QPR. Maybe the international break has come at just the right time for MS.

Maybe we have to dampen our expectations of him and come to accept he may never be the same as the Killer of old. If he was, then he would probably be snapped up by someone in the top flight (or abroad) anyway.

That said, I would probably settle for a 75% Killer just for his tenacity, leadership and the way in which he carries himself, which must be a great example to the many youngsters at the Club.

Maybe we have to dampen our expectations of him and come to accept he may never be the same as the Killer of old. If he was, then he would probably be snapped up by someone in the top flight (or abroad) anyway.

That said, I would probably settle for a 75% Killer just for his tenacity, leadership and the way in which he carries himself, which must be a great example to the many youngsters at the Club.

Exactly. Sometimes you need a LEADER. If our kids simply copy this man's: decency, work-ethic, respect, responsibility and all-round nature, then we might have a team to be proud of on and off the field!!!

Exactly. Sometimes you need a LEADER. If our kids simply copy this man's: decency, work-ethic, respect, responsibility and all-round nature, then we might have a team to be proud of on and off the field!!!

One of the criticisms I had heard of Burley was that he did not like strong personalities, he had a "conflict aversion" mentality.

No idea if true or not, BUT it WAS reflected in the type of players we signed under him, our team of the last couple of years was short on personalities and we totally lacked a LEADER on the pitch.

With the new set up, somebody with experience on the pitch is worth it's weight in gold and Killer fits that role.

What I think we saw against Blackpool is that JP will need to be slghtly more aware of our opposition strengths and to make minor adjustments to our team on a particular day. Against teams with pace up front then a Perry & Killer / Gillett & Spiderman combination in the centre may not be what we need, and EITHER Cork comes in, maybe alongside Killer or Wotton in as DM to help cover, cut down the space and the through balls over the top.