The Thoughts of Chairman Wilde .

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Some would have you believe that Lowey runs the football side. But I knew all along that Wildey was the Football Club Chairman and ran the football teams in conjuction with the coaches JP and Wotte. But, but , Wildey now tells us in answer to the second question that Lowey is running the whole show. ie discussions with coach JP and then the control of purse strings and negotiating all the transfers in and out. So Lowey is a sort of Director of Football. I understand now after all these years who God is. Praise The Lord as someone keeps telling us. Sort it out chaps.

Maybe Wildey is not able to come to town very often so Lowey is best placed. Or Lowey knows more about football.

Onwards and upwards. But does it matter as long as we start winning and Pulis and Gasmi are the belated answer to our prayers.

I am a lot clearer in my mind .

In my mind, it is virtually impossible for any significantly sized club with a modern stadium to survive outside the Premiership on normal operational revenue streams, irrespective of how well they are run – certainly if they are to remain competitive at this level.

We have one of the best academies in the country and, combined with our integrated coaching set-up, we are now in position to achieve the twin goals of competing for promotion whilst improving our potential revenue stream from player trading - thereby making us financially more stable and self-sufficient.

I really can't see how he can say we are in a position to compete for promotion, while at the same time he is saying that the only way to survive in this league is to sell our best young players.

How does that work ?

In my mind, it is virtually impossible for any significantly sized club with a modern stadium to survive outside the Premiership on normal operational revenue streams, irrespective of how well they are run – certainly if they are to remain competitive at this level.

We have one of the best academies in the country and, combined with our integrated coaching set-up, we are now in position to achieve the twin goals of competing for promotion whilst improving our potential revenue stream from player trading - thereby making us financially more stable and self-sufficient.

I really can't see how he can say we are in a position to compete for promotion, while at the same time he is saying that the only way to survive in this league is to sell our best young players.

How does that work ?

At best he is deluded for thinking we are in position to achieve promotion. At worst he is lying.

The man doesn't make sense, and has no credibility.

How does that work ?

Well, Mick, in all probability it doesn't. The likelihood is that we will unearth a really good prospect or two from the Academy and start playing them. Scouts and Managers from other teams will notice them and make offers for them which we will have to accept if they are reasonable to good. Much of the money earned through these sales will be ploughed into paying off our debts and the player/s will be replaced by other youngsters/free agent players or ageing journeymen. Unless we are very lucky indeed under these circumstances, we will be unlikely to gain promotion. We will have found our level. Effectively we will be a feeder club along the same lines as Crewe.

Well, Mick, in all probability it doesn't. The likelihood is that we will unearth a really good prospect or two from the Academy and start playing them. Scouts and Managers from other teams will notice them and make offers for them which we will have to accept if they are reasonable to good. Much of the money earned through these sales will be ploughed into paying off our debts and the player/s will be replaced by other youngsters/free agent players or ageing journeymen. Unless we are very lucky indeed under these circumstances, we will be unlikely to gain promotion. We will have found our level. Effectively we will be a feeder club along the same lines as Crewe.

You can't really argue with that , at least I'm not going to .

Saints Alexandra FC - you know it makes sense :(

No, we will effectively be operating the same way as 70 odd other clubs who have to survive outside the Premiership.

And in fact, in the same position in which we operated before the Premiership.

That our young players will be sold is not totally of our making. It is because of the prices commanded for proven quality footballers. Yes, it's hitting us because we are not in the Premiership.

But without raking over old ground, we are where we are. To get out of this position either we need outside investment or have no option but to trade our way out.

Where I think Wilde is very economical with the truth is in explaining his volte farce with regards to Lowe.

If Rupert had the best interests of the club at heart, why did Wilde try to oust him??

Herewith a precis of what he said (for those who cannot be @rsed to read it) :

a) We are a selling club!

b) Rupert makes the decisions!

c) We have no scouts!

d) No more discounts!

e) Crap beer for 10 years!

f) John F Bacon is a groveller!

g) Don't give a toss re. supporter expectations!

h) We don't care about Olympians!

i) No changes in the boardroom!

j) I refuse to answer re. my u-turn with Rupert!

k) We are still in the financial sh1t!

HTH,

Euro.

No, we will effectively be operating the same way as 70 odd other clubs who have to survive outside the Premiership.

And in fact, in the same position in which we operated before the Premiership.

That our young players will be sold is not totally of our making. It is because of the prices commanded for proven quality footballers. Yes, it's hitting us because we are not in the Premiership.

But without raking over old ground, we are where we are. To get out of this position either we need outside investment or have no option but to trade our way out.

Where I think Wilde is very economical with the truth is in explaining his volte farce with regards to Lowe.

If Rupert had the best interests of the club at heart, why did Wilde try to oust him??

The comparison with Crewe was because they are the notable club who have relied for their survival on a production line of promising youngsters who they have had to sell to keep afloat, when clearly they could have progressed upwards had they been able to keep a hold on them. That is a different situation from most other clubs in British football. The comparison with them comes because like them we rely mainly on the sale of youngsters produced by our academy. Apart from one or two, our squad contains hardly any older players and they are no longer saleable commodities.

a) We are a selling club! Only Man City are not now.

b) Rupert makes the decisions! In conjunction with the management.

c) We have no scouts! Abroad.

d) No more discounts!

e) Crap beer for 10 years! 3 years

f) John F Bacon is a groveller! Lol

g) Don't give a toss re. supporter expectations! Admits he is impatient himself.

h) We don't care about Olympians! other than footballers

HTH,

Euro.

Otherwise spot on... ;)

The comparison with Crewe was because they are the notable club who have relied for their survival on a production line of promising youngsters who they have had to sell to keep afloat, when clearly they could have progressed upwards had they been able to keep a hold on them. That is a different situation from most other clubs in British football. The comparison with them comes because like them we rely mainly on the sale of youngsters produced by our academy. Apart from one or two, our squad contains hardly any older players and they are no longer saleable commodities.

Not really, either you buy cheap and aim to sell at a profit, or you breed and sell at a profit. It makes no odds. You can't keep hold of the best players for long.

c) We have no scouts!

d) No more discounts!

HTH,

Euro.

Yes You are probably right it could be classed as grovelleling but I thought afterwards it was a bit over the top

It cannot be very nice getting lots of abuse and when I asked the question I had read the Echo comments page which contained too much abuse.

I am certain he invested in SFC for the best of reasons not for financial gain like Lowe

Edited by John B

Q: The Olympics has been a massive success. Do you have any plans to aid local sports professionals by opening up some of your facilities to them?

A: We are working with Southampton City Council to attract Olympic business to the City. As a professional football club there is little that we can do to encourage local sportsmen and women in other sports as our facilities are not directly relevant to other sports.

Hmmmm....slightly different view to UK Sport and the English Institute of Sport then......they seem to think there's a close connection between football academies and Olympic potential...as we're always being told that we've got "one of the best academies in the country" shouldn't we be more in tune with the other sporting bodies on this one (where's Sir Clive Woodwood when you need him, eh?!)

Footballers targeted for Olympics

_44715621_footballers_b203.jpg UK Sport believes footballers athletic skills are transferable

Young footballers released from club academies are being urged to switch to alternative Olympic sports.

UK Sport and the English Institute of Sport is inviting players aged 18-22 to attend two Olympic Talent Assessment Events in July.

It is part of a Pitch2Podium programme aimed at discovering medal-winning for the London Games in 2012.

"Football is the largest hot-bed of athletic talent in England," said UK Sport's Chelsea Warr.

Backed by the Football Association, the Premier League, the Football League and the Professional Footballers' Association, the programme is focused on players who have not yet secured a professional football contract.

o.gif

More than 1,000 have already been invited to next month's events and, if successful, they will continue through to further, more sport specific events. "Many of these players leaving the professional game would have already developed the ready-made skills and abilities we'd be looking for," added Warr.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/7435271.stm

I see there was no question in there about the investment/takeover situation.

Regardless of whether anything is really happening or not you'd have thought it was still a burning question to ask the chairman of a financially stricken football club....

Journalistic censorship or oversight?

I see there was no question in there about the investment/takeover situation.

Regardless of whether anything is really happening or not you'd have thought it was still a burning question to ask the chairman of a financially stricken football club....

Journalistic censorship or oversight?

Whats the point asking ?

He would have waffled on about how they have tried to find investment or buyers and it would have to be in the best interests of SFC bla bla bla.

In other words, you wouldn't have got anything out of him worth mentioning.

c) We have no scouts!

d) No more discounts!

HTH,

Euro.

spot on euro, quite the politician with an arsenal of literary bounty at his disposal, which would generelly appease most customers in less volatile industires, but this is football where supporters are intensely committed and emotionally involved!

I love how he dodges the question about is Lowe u-turn.

Well, what was he to say? We have a mutual pecuniary interest that overrides all other considerations; we realised that as unpalateable as it was because we both loathe each other, it was nevertheless unavoidable if we were to were to have any chance of avoiding administration and thus losing all of the money we had invested in shares? ;)

well, what was he to say? We have a mutual pecuniary interest that overrides all other considerations; we realised that as unpalateable as it was because we both loathe each other, it was nevertheless unavoidable if we were to were to have any chance of avoiding administration and thus losing all of the money we had invested in shares? ;)

why not

why not

What? Admit that they were doing it for their own selfish financial ends and not primarily for the good of the club?

Of course, there are those who would argue that the two things are mutually conclusive, that what is good for them is good for us. That is the get out clause.

c) We have no scouts!

Euro.

c) we have no scouts overseas (which is odd given that we have signed 2 players from overseas in the last couple of months and thats where most clubs are gtting their cheap players)

e) Crap beer for 10 years! Then we are looking at changing to Carling. Make the most of what we have got, because its clearly going to get worse, I though the question was about GOOD beer, carling, probably the worst lager in the world. I think what we are looking for is something from Ringwood brewery or the like. By the way why is a 10 year pouring contract a problem, we have broken other agreements (such as the buses) so why not renegotiate the beer as well.

All in all the replies from MW were much as expected. Absolute hogwash. Please go poodle and take that nice Mr Lowe with you when you leave

c) We have no scouts!

d) No more discounts!

HTH,

Euro.

I would just like to add that most on here if given just the questions before hand, could have written what he said.

Yes You are probably right it could be classed as grovelleling but I thought afterwards it was a bit over the top

It cannot be very nice getting lots of abuse and when I asked the question I had read the Echo comments page which contained too much abuse.

I am certain he invested in SFC for the best of reasons not for financial gain like Lowe

Sorry mate, nothing personal, I was being a bit flippant (note the little winky icon!) and just wanted to sum up a fairly 'nothing speak' kind of article that the Echo used to fill a bit of space!

You just happened to slot in at point number 6 and I didn't know what else to say! Anyway this does not make you a bad person and I will try not to embarrass you (or myself) in the future !!

How does that work ?

Well now, that is clearly an either/or thing, as even a tiny amount of rational reflection will make clear. If we can win promotion, our young players good enough for and desiring Premiership football can be retained -- except of course for any budding superstars in the Walcott/Bale mould who will get snapped up by one of the big 4 (or is that 5 now?) regardless. If we fail to win promotion, our best young players, those regarded as desirable by Premiership teams, will inevitably be sold. The idea is that replacements for them will be available from the academy, or by signing players of the Holmes/Schneiderlin ilk, or a few older and free types a la Wotton/Perry. If you can't see how this works and is a perfectly rational and consistent policy, frankly the fault lies in you and not in Wilde.

You may perhaps question Wilde's sincerity, but what he has said makes perfect sense.

Mike's reply was :

"Scouts representing the club are distributed throughout the country on a regional basis and are remunerated on the basis of their expenses plus bonuses in the event of potential players being identified."

I took this to be sub-contracting (ie. they are not employed by SFC and would only be paid if somebody is actually signed up!) therefore we have no scouts of our own !

This is not really a big deal, it's just that I was corrected by a few people and I wanted to set the record straight !!

Mike's reply was :

"Scouts representing the club are distributed throughout the country on a regional basis and are remunerated on the basis of their expenses plus bonuses in the event of potential players being identified."

I took this to be sub-contracting (ie. they are not employed by SFC and would only be paid if somebody is actually signed up!) therefore we have no scouts of our own !

This is not really a big deal, it's just that I was corrected by a few people and I wanted to set the record straight !!

only problem is if another club pays a bigger bonus