Photoshop/Dreamweaver/CSS malarkey

Crab Lungs

Having fun creating my own site at the moment, oh yes.

I've done the pages, text, images and I've sliced and diced in photoshop.

However... I wish to make my page more... graphically bespoke. Now, I've spent too long trawling YouTube and Google for worthwhile tutorials and somehow, I've drawn a blank. Maybe I am not searching the correct fields however, here is what I wish to achieve.

On my option text fields in my design 'home' 'about' 'contact' etc I wish for them to highlight when the cursor scrolls over them. Simply, yet effective.

What would be my next step to achieve this? What program and what is the technical term for this? I know I can teach myself this, but just need a nudge in the right direction...

Thank yooou

chop up the images so that they are seperate for the nav items.

create secondary images for 'hovering over', whether that be a shadow or highlighted in some way, obviously make sure you save these as the same size as the normal ones.

in you code, where you have the image, add inside the

onmouseover="this.src='/images/overimage.jpg'" onmouseout="this.src='/images/normalimage.jpg'"

this assume paths and image names, but for example if you wanted contact us to have a hover over state, change the overimage.jpg to something like 'contactover.jpg' and your normal 'state' for contact button to 'contactnormal.jpg' and thats pretty much job done.

for the more advanced reading this, i dont bother with caching mouseover images these days since everyones on broadband, only if the over state is large. Oh, and yes we could get crablungs to use the 'twice as high' css trick to switch a div bg image state, but that's a bit beyond a saints forum tutorial

i use fireworks, they have a built in function for this

ive got a couple of professional developer mates who use this, is it really worth me doing it considering im comfortable with what i do and they way i do it for years.. (yeah i know, old dog, new tricks)

ive got a couple of professional developer mates who use this, is it really worth me doing it considering im comfortable with what i do and they way i do it for years.. (yeah i know, old dog, new tricks)

no mate in all honesty, you are quite limited to what fireworks provides (and the occasional update) at least with your way you have more control.