Any Excel experts?

Dicko

I'm trying to get text to appear in a cell, dependent on a mathematical formula.

I can get the first part fine, but I'm trying to combine IF statements

e.g I want the cell to say "Saints" if the figure is above 80, "Pompey" if below 30, and to display no text at all if it's in between

Any ideas?

I can do it, almost...the cell displays a #N/A error when when the cell is blank though. I am sure that what you need to do might be more complicated than the example you have given....

Edited by mynameisthehulk
Have managed to get the cell to look blank when the value is 30-80 :)

I can do it, almost...the cell displays a #N/A error when when the cell is blank though. I am sure that what you need to do might be more complicated than the example you have given....

Wow, that sounds pretty good mate

How did you do it?

For the example above with "a1" as the reference cell

=if(a1>80,"Saints",if(a1

Simples. Use conditional formatting if you want to change the style of font depending on the value in A1 - e.g. colour, size etc.

I created a table with the numbers 1-100 in column A and the values either Saints, Pompey or blank in column B. In the next worksheet I used a vlookup formula to return the correct value from the table when the number is input in a certain cell. It could be adapted for something more complex, depends what it is on how long it would take though...

:supz:

=if(a1>80,"Saints",if(a1

Simples. Use conditional formatting if you want to change the style of font depending on the value in A1 - e.g. colour, size etc.

What if the figure doesn't refer to an different cell?

The IF statement I'm trying to create is in the same cell as the original formula

=if(a1>80,"Saints",if(a1

Or that would have been easier, although your example displays Pompey when a1 is blank...

What if the figure doesn't refer to an different cell?

The IF statement I'm trying to create is in the same cell as the original formula

Hmmnn.. Why don't you have the value in column A and my formula in column B? Then hide column A if its a big deal?

Alternatively replace A1 in the formula with whatever calculation you're doing.

Simply add an if(a1="","",(the rest of the formula here) if the Pompey thing is an issue.