Daily Echo - LALLANA Fulham bid rejected...SPURS INTEREST TOO

exit2

I'm not so sure now that Kevin has left management for the 100th time.

I am a fan and at one time I was advocating him as a possible manager for us.

To be fair to him if Dennis the menace had come in as a football Director above me I would have walked. So my opinion at the moment is shattered.

One thing for sure things may not be so bad at Saints after all.

Glad we kept Lallana and hopefully for as long as is possible.

so, what has he actually done wrong then?

On the back of the Echo today it says we turned down a bid for Adam Lallana? Its the first I have heard of it also confirmed the Reading bid for Surman?

Due to the money situation at the club I guess these bids were not substantial or has the money from Davies kept the wolves form the door for a period ie.e the banks are happy?

Personally Im guessing that the Fulham bid was poor as if any decent money involved would have seen him leave as we know that Surman would have gone for definate if Boro had brought the other reading player.

SO come January dependent on league position, attendances, etc do think we will see improved bids and player sales?

Reading didnt want to spend 2.5m on surman, they offered 1.25m i think so they got someone else instead.

I think our league position is going to heavily influence our transfer policy.

Should we be in with a decent shout of the playoffs in January, I suspect it would take a very persuasive offer indeed to entice Mr Lowe to sell any of the constituent parts, and I suspect the bank could be talked into agreeing to support NOT selling for the following reasons :

If we didn't go up the teams interested in the kids in January would still be interested in May/June so we'd get the money anyway.

If we went up the additional money from making it to the Prem could pay off all kinds of debts, and we'd still have a successful young squad on low wages that could feasibly compete in the top League with the addition of a few well chosen new players. (I can dream).

Selling good players on cheap wages might even be a false economy in January - if they have to be replaced by less competent players damaging a promotion bid, or a more expensive player (admittedly unlikely).

Our transfer policy so far has surprised me. We've still got Skacel and Davis and John, and we've signed and are paying wages to, of all people, Anthony Pulis. Not quite what I'd expected after initial proclamations of selling all OR the surprising acquisition of Schneiderlin (and to a lesser degree Wotton and Forecast).

FWIW, I'd rather we had the problem of teams trying to buy our players for being too good to play in the CCC than not being able to offload players in the CCC for being too highly paid and not up to the job.

What a waste of a precious post this is, but I think it's worth asking if Lallana's new contract was maybe some kind of reward for not kicking up about the Fulham offer, or just a prudent and sensible way of giving him more money immediately to keep him happy in the short term ?

It's not like the contract is worth anything if a player wants to go anyway.

What a waste of a precious post this is, but I think it's worth asking if Lallana's new contract was maybe some kind of reward for not kicking up about the Fulham offer, or just a prudent and sensible way of giving him more money immediately to keep him happy in the short term ?

The length of the outstanding contract when a player is sold has a significant impact on the selling price of that player. It's therefore a prudent and sensible strategy by the Club.

I didn't say anyone was desperate to stay, or that nasty Rupert forced anyone out. All I said is that we don't know what went on behind the scenes so to say we know as a fact that Lowe won't actively try and sell Lallana in January is rubbish.

Lowe wasn't even at the club when we sold Bale anyway so I don't know why you even mentioned him.

Okay, can you name one player that Lowe has "actively tried to sell", then?

I've given you a summary of how and why all those other players were sold, not once have you given anything to suggest any of them were "actively sold". So what is your reasoning, apart from Rupert is, like, evil and stuff?

So, Just one player in those ten years, with a brief summary of how Lowe "actively tried to sell".

And then explain how he will "actively sell" Lallana, which is the pant wettingly hilarious "new" angle that you lot are desperately now weaving now your old stand-by "he will sell anything and everything that isn't nailed down as soon as bid comes in" has been blown out of the water.

Only on this forum could a refusal of a bid for a player be instantly interpreted by half the fan base as evidence of the club chairman "actively trying to sell" said player.

Turning down bids for players, eh? What a wa n k er.

:rolleyes:

I've given you a summary of how and why all those other players were sold, not once have you given anything to suggest any of them were "actively sold". So what is your reasoning, apart from Rupert is, like, evil and stuff?

So, Just one player in those ten years, with a brief summary of how Lowe "actively tried to sell".

And then explain how he will "actively sell" Lallana, which is the pant wettingly hilarious "new" angle that you lot are desperately now weaving now your old stand-by "he will sell anything and everything that isn't nailed down as soon as bid comes in" has been blown out of the water.

Only on this forum could a refusal of a bid for a player be instantly interpreted by half the fan base as evidence of the club chairman "actively trying to sell" said player.

It does go to show that love or loathe Rupert, he does have a plan.

BUT, I am confident that had those bids been high enough he would have sold.

That's not anti-Lowe, that's economics. I love this house, but if someone is willing to pay well over the odds for it, then there's plenty of other places I could live and park a sports car on the drive!!!

It's funny CB, that Lowe's original vision is now being used by clubs in the Premiership and elsewhere as one of two possible options right now:

1. Sell your club to a soverign wealth fund (gun-runner, dictator, delete as appopriate).

2. Build your club from within and make it sustainable.

Well, I, for one, am firmly in the option 2 camp, come what may and while I stood with the other 25,999 and asked him to go, my gut feel is that he's actually the right person for where we are now.

Presumably Lowe is actively trying to sell Rasiak, Scacel and Euell, for the simple reason that the club cannot afford their wages. Several other players have gone for the same reason. They having departed and not having arrived at a satisfactory solution with the other players, we are still very strapped for cash. Although too soon to arrive at a definite conclusion it is becoming clear that the numbers through the turnstile will not be sufficient to keep the wolf from the door financially. Other than serious external investment, the only other viable solution to our current predicament is the sale of those players who attract the interest of bigger clubs. The fact that an offer for Lallana was turned down does not suggest that he is not for sale, merely that the price was probably derisory. Within the circumstances we find ourselves, that was probably to be expected. Should any player really excel in the next few months, higher offers will come in for them and unless there has been a significant increase in our revenue, those offers will be accepted in order to avoid administration.

If you have any concrete information that the financial situation is not as bed as it is painted or proof that my assertion that our best youngsters will be sold is wrong, then kindly provide that evidence in support of your opinion; because otherwise that is all it is, your opinion. In the same way, many others have expressed the same opnion as me and it is a pity that you must attempt to belittle those opinions with your sneering tone.

Funnily i dont take it personally but when a generalisation is made because some can see that AD etc was not dragged from the club, and then told we are stupid because we see it differently. Sarcasm may be the only way to deal with it.

Channons Sideburns said it,perhaps without thinking / in frustration, or because he meant it. He's a long time supporting fan and so I respect his views and sometimes (rarely we agree, but that doesnt matter) we do find common ground.As with you, as long as its civilised thats all that matters as we all want the same thing.

Sorry Nick, I wasn't insinuating that you were the 'numpty', just to clarify. Those who I would term as this are the ones who seem to post on the Echo site a lot.

I just feel that they are a little misguided to believe everything that's fed through the Echo and the OS - you can't, even with the most level headed viewpoint, take anything that gets released as gospel.

That's the beauty of this forum, we get to debate issues that aren't yet in the domain of the average Echo Reader.....even if some posts end up on 606 Online as if they are exclusives 24 hours after they've been launched on threads here!

I remain passionate about the club, in fact I wouldn't feel so strongly if I didn't. My parents started taking me as a 5 year old, queuing up outside the Milton End at 10am each home game so I could get to the front to stand on a milk crate...aahhh parking in the Unigate as well..(cheers Bob Stock!)...

Birthdays were always spent trying to work out if I had the new Saints Kit and visits to the Saints Shop were just....well the best thing ever.

I'll always be grateful for the effort my parents put in and its nice now to return the favour to my father at St Marys.

The issue with Lowe hasn't been for me (at least) to do with his upbringing - its just the club I know and love from those early days (the family atmosphere that people like 'BigAl' Smith in Junior Saints generated) - seems a far distant memory.

Christ, I know it's nostalgic, but back then you felt like family. About 15 years later, during the Branfoot era (who was a nice guy) Alan Smith even gave me 2 weeks Work Experience when I was at college - he remembered me from all the years gone by from Junior Saints.

Would anyone get that treatment now?

St Marys being built was a fantastic achievement - well done to Lowe and Cowen on that one. However one thing I cannot ever forget, regardless of what happens moving forward, is how downhill the club went in Lowe's hands - not just relegation, but the country's view of us as a club. We were like Newcastle are now.

Overall you can forgive (because he is doing a good job now) but never forget.

There are those here whose oft repeated opinion of Lowe is that he would sell any of the players as soon as anyone showed him some money. If we did reject a bid for Lallana then this goes against their belief so they then have to start saying 'he will be gone in January then' rather than admit their opinion of Lowe might be wrong.

I have actually conceded this fact. I did actually believe this was his intention until this revelation. Still don't like him or trust him, but I have revised my opinion of his long plan and it seems logical to me, which makes me a little happier.

These people will never admit they are wrong when it comes to Lowe. Can't see past their own bile and class consciousness.

Sorry Scoob but, as someone from the other camp admitting I might be wrong, I am yet to see you do likewise, I am afraid. Constructive critisism is good and allows a flowing debate, critisism for the sake of it is a waste and you might as well end each sentance with 'because I say so, yah boo sucks.' like a bunch of 5 year olds.

Rasiak, Scacel and Euell.

Now shut the **** up.

Rasiak, Scacel and Euell.

Now shut the **** up.

The contract was signed well before. Up to last Saturday neither player knew anything about an offer, but Surmans agent had told him of Reading's interest. The club hadn't informed either player. I believe Fulham only came in on Monday.

this is the main reason why we really need to get back in the Prem. If the big 4 want to buy your player you are ****ed every which way but at least you can fight off the rest.

If it is the big 5 you can get shedloads of money.(Man City).

Sorry Nick, I wasn't insinuating that you were the 'numpty', just to clarify. Those who I would term as this are the ones who seem to post on the Echo site a lot.

CS i appreciate that, I have no issues with any Saints fans on here even though it may seem that way sometimes.

Although there was one who posted he hoped that Euell would get a career threatening injury and so I cant accept that.

CS i appreciate that, I have no issues with any Saints fans on here even though it may seem that way sometimes.

Although there was one who posted he hoped that Euell would get a career threatening injury and so I cant accept that.

Cheers Nick, agree, wishing ill on one player is out of order, thought that Euell was progressing under Pearson but seems out of the picture at the mo.

Feeling more positive than I have for a while.......missed out on Euromillions so Plan B will have to wait :)

• 2 weeks later...
Saw this on the BBC Site Today

Fulham are preparing a January bid for Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana. (Daily Star)

Don't worry; we'll still have McGoldrick and there is a player in the youth team who is being kept under wraps at the moment and who will step up to replace Lallana . When he dons the first team kit, he'll amaze everybody with his free scoring ability and everybody will wonder what the fuss was about Lallana. It's all part of Lowe's long term strategy, so I have every faith in it. Not.

I'm sure that's just them being slow with the news. It's blindingly obvious that a failed big near the deadline will lead to another attempt in January. Hardly news is it.

I am very sorry my posting did not meet your approval.

So please can you tell me what the article said as I was not able to find it as there may have been further information that was not in the original echo piece.

Obviously you have read it as you say you are sure it was slow with the news.

Don't worry; we'll still have McGoldrick and there is a player in the youth team who is being kept under wraps at the moment and who will step up to replace Lallana . When he dons the first team kit, he'll amaze everybody with his free scoring ability and everybody will wonder what the fuss was about Lallana. It's all part of Lowe's long term strategy, so I have every faith in it. Not.

I know things are not looking very good but I cannot see what else we can/could do.

At least it is interesting trying to avoid relegation although I would of course like to be supporting a more successful team but we have to take the bad with the bad and hope the bad turns to good one day.

Perhaps Lowe could play his "great business mind" card and do a deal with Fulham such that they loan Baird to us now for 'free' in return for getting first refusal on Lallana in January...a sort of deposit/down payment if you will....

Come on Rupert....prove to the doubters on here that you are indeed a canny businessman....

Don't think he'll go in January. End of the season yes, I can see that. But with him just having signed a new contract it is not that hard for us to say. Yes, you can have him. At the end of the season. I don't think there's an immediate necessity to sell anymore (unless the attendances are going to stay at the Blackpool level).