Is the Premiership the promised land for the Saints?

Long Shot

The easiest fix is for all teams in the same league to get EXACTLY the same amount of TV revenue. This table clearly demonstrates the problem

Manchester United £49.3m

Chelsea £45.6m

Arsenal £47m

Liverpool £45.4m

Everton £42.1m

Aston Villa £42.3m

Blackburn Rovers £40.2m

Portsmouth £40.4m

Manchester City £39.7m

West Ham United £36.8m

Tottenham Hotspur £36m

Newcastle United £39.2m

Middlesbrough £34.2m

Wigan Athletic £33.4m

Sunderland £33.6m

Bolton Wanderers £32m

Fulham £31.3m

Reading £30.6m

Birmingham City £29.8m

Derby County £29.1m

The financial differences would therefore only be gate receipts, prize money and brand related commercial activities.

Champions league so be what it is - a competition for European league champions.

UEFA cup should be for the winners of the domestic challenge cup.

Simple really.

As someone who sold sports rights for a living once... God what a shallow life I have led... the problem with the idea of equal revenue is that no-one wants to watch Derby.

As an agent, therefore, I am always looking to buy and sell the Manchester United rights, not Derby's.

What a league structure does is say this to SKY:

"Look old friends, you cannot simply have the rights to the top four, you must also pay for the rest. You can't have the cream without the milk." To try to be fair to its members.

Then the league goes to the clubs and says:

"Here clubs, we will split the money equally wth you all."

Then the Commercial Directors of the top four say:

"P!ss off, if we sold our rights indvidually, we could keep ALL the money, because WE know no-one in China wants to watch Derby, so come up with a structure that benefits the cream thanks."

And so it goes on, and on, and on...

And in a way it is fair and it is the free market.

And in the free market some things get priced out of some people's reach, and football clubs become world brands and go and play on a world stage and so on...

So, you have a choice. Is that what we want to be - ultimately a harlem globetrotter brand with United, Liverpool, etc, (which is where I can see them ending up now) or a club we can follow locally??

But by that, I don't expect us simply to wither and play 'southern league'. You should always be looking upwards and aspiring to do and be better.

In the current Premiership? Maybe. In a future Premiership which will be a European elite playing in each continent regularly, with matches in China and Russia and Abu Dhabi??

No thanks. Not for me. I want to be able to go every fortnight, scream my lungs out and hope we win. Oh and ONE trophy in my lifetime would be MAGNIFICENT. Ideally, the day I die (assuming I am a ripe old age!!!!) ;)

I can't imagine any true fan wanting to remain mired in the mickey mouse, with the threat of administration constantly hanging about our head. I don't remember you clowns wishing wistfully to be relegated to watch dire football when Lord Lowe had us flying high in the promised land.

Scooby,,,,,,You not feeling very well?:D Normally you post pure (funny) verbal diarrhea. But not this time.

Long Shot are you one of us? (blue few) If not the rest of you stripes should throw him her off the itchin bridge:rolleyes:

(is the fizzy now your dizzy hight;))

Scooby,,,,,,You not feeling very well?:D Normally you post pure (funny) verbal diarrhea. But not this time.

Long Shot are you one of us? (blue few) If not the rest of you stripes should throw him her off the itchin bridge:rolleyes:

Like Pompey will be part of the new breakaway uber-Premiership... your manager been banged up yet? ;) Or is he off to West Ham...

Nah - I used to be a little envious of you with your dodgy crooked benefactor but not any more. One day (I am hearing soon) the walls of Jericho (Fratton park) are going to come tumbling down and the fallout will be a lot bigger than anything Saints have had to put up with. Your debts will see you finished for good. Say goodnight ****!

Then the league goes to the clubs and says:

"Here clubs, we will split the money equally wth you all."

Then the Commercial Directors of the top four say:

"P!ss off, if we sold our rights indvidually, we could keep ALL the money, because WE know no-one in China wants to watch Derby, so come up with a structure that benefits the cream thanks."

And so it goes on, and on, and on...

That is not far off what happened around 6 years ago in the Scottish Premier League (SPL).

Rangers and Celtic got about three times more TV money each than the other 10 clubs in the SPL. A new TV channel deal (set up by the league) would have seen fairer distribution of money but to get change in the SPL it requires 11 of the 12 clubs to agree, and of course neither Rangers nor Celtic would vote for less money so it was never going to happen.

The other 10 SPL clubs decided enough is enough and said they were considering quitting the SPL by giving two years mandatory notice after which they would set up their own league and invite the Old Firm to join but under fairer distribution of monies and with a system where a 66% majority is enough to force changes in future.

The argument went on for around a month and offered the amusing prospect of a league of two with Rangers and Celtic playing each other 38 times a season. It was quite refreshing seeing the big two panicking for a while but ultimately they got their way and the league stayed as it is (maybe with some token changes).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/1931985.stm

OK. So its not saints related but its all part of the flow................

I read in the Mail that even Man u are having to trawl around to sell executive boxes. They used to have a 2 year waiting list, now Man U are contacting companies who used to book tables as far back as 5 years ago.

The corporates are tiring of the PL that is a stark warning for football as a whole.

I assume that a lot of the prawn sandwich brigade, have now been there and done it and unless you love football the novelty of going to OT is fading.

I read in the Mail that even Man u are having to trawl around to sell executive boxes. They used to have a 2 year waiting list, now Man U are contacting companies who used to book tables as far back as 5 years ago.

The corporates are tiring of the PL that is a stark warning for football as a whole.

I assume that a lot of the prawn sandwich brigade, have now been there and done it and unless you love football the novelty of going to OT is fading.

Personally Nick, I think this has a great deal more to do with the economy.

People claim we're talking ourselves into recession, well we're already in it!!!!

Last month car sales were down 19% OFFICIALLY. I would hate to know what they were really down!!!! Strip our dealers' pre-registrations and I bet a couple of thousand real retails sales were actually completed last month.

Discretionary spending among public and companies has simply dried up!!! And even United are not immune. Of course, City will now benefit from those companies who do still want football hospitality.

Personally Nick, I think this has a great deal more to do with the economy.

People claim we're talking ourselves into recession, well we're already in it!!!!

Last month car sales were down 19% OFFICIALLY. I would hate to know what they were really down!!!! Strip our dealers' pre-registrations and I bet a couple of thousand real retails sales were actually completed last month.

Discretionary spending among public and companies has simply dried up!!! And even United are not immune. Of course, City will now benefit from those companies who do still want football hospitality.

yes you can factor a lot of that in. My experience of corpoates are though more of people going for a free day out who in the main would not be football fans first. Many are rugger or cricket men.

The constructive dismissals of Keegan and Curbishly has upped the ante even more. It is now becoming evident, not only the demise of English owners & English footballers from the Premiership (soon to be extinct?) but now the demise of English managers. So what is behind this apparently anti-English strategy? Very soon there will be nothing English about it.

Who owns the premiership??? Sky? Murdoch, an Ozzie? Whoever, it seems it is quickly becoming a World Series Exhibition Circus that for now is based in England but not for much longer one would imagine. Very soon it may be touring the world like Formula 1? The international round was just the beginning of an Ecclestone like Circus - is this why Ecclestone himself has bought into QPR?? How long will the English brand names last? ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool etc before they become Red Bull Gunners or Vodaphone Red Devils and Sibneft Blues living out of international 5-Star hotels and all living in Dubai beyond national tax boundaries.

Get Used to it! This is the way it'll end.

Perhaps only when this particular metamorphises is complete will English football wake up to waht has happened under our eyes with our blessing. Every cloud has a silver lining so maybe by 2025 we will start again with four English Divisions

The constructive dismissals of Keegan and Curbishly has upped the ante even more. It is now becoming evident, not only the demise of English owners & English footballers from the Premiership (soon to be extinct?) but now the demise of English managers. So what is behind this apparently anti-English strategy? Very soon there will be nothing English about it.

Who owns the premiership??? Sky? Murdoch, an Ozzie? Whoever, it seems it is quickly becoming a World Series Exhibition Circus that for now is based in England but not for much longer one would imagine. Very soon it may be touring the world like Formula 1? The international round was just the beginning of an Ecclestone like Circus - is this why Ecclestone himself has bought into QPR?? How long will the English brand names last? ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool etc before they become Red Bull Gunners or Vodaphone Red Devils and Sibneft Blues living out of international 5-Star hotels and all living in Dubai beyond national tax boundaries.

Get Used to it! This is the way it'll end.

Perhaps only when this particular metamorphises is complete will English football wake up to waht has happened under our eyes with our blessing. Every cloud has a silver lining so maybe by 2025 we will start again with four English Divisions

Keegan is a poor manager!!! he signes crap players...it is reported that he wanted 200m to bring in beckham and henry and he got told to f-off...WHAT SANE PERSON WOULD DO THAT???

what kind of "great" manager blows a 12 point lead in the prem and bring in fancy foreign players (asprillia)?? he walks from every job?

and curbishley....pure crap for what his reputation is...

I cant think that there is a demise of english managers, just that the shiiit ones are being "moved" on.....

Keegan is a poor manager!!! he signes crap players...it is reported that he wanted 200m to bring in beckham and henry and he got told to f-off...WHAT SANE PERSON WOULD DO THAT???

what kind of "great" manager blows a 12 point lead in the prem and bring in fancy foreign players (asprillia)?? he walks from every job?

and curbishley....pure crap for what his reputation is...

I cant think that there is a demise of english managers, just that the shiiit ones are being "moved" on.....

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Keegan is one of THE MOST SUCCESSFUL MANAGERS of the post-war era.

Check out his record.

And while everyone bangs on about his 'blown 12 point lead' would anyone else like to tell me when Newcastle have ever got as close again?? Or how many games in hand United had at Christmas?

He is also credited with playing 'attacking football' BUT in the season Newcastle finished second to Manchester United they conceded just 4 more goals than the Champions. The following season they conceded FEWER!!!

Let's consider Keegan's management record for a second:

Appointed at Newcastle - promoted as Champions.

Appointed at Fulham - promoted as Champions.

Appointed at Manchester City - promoted as Champions.

Appointed Manager of England - walked away.

For some reason, Keegan attracts unfair criticism but remains by far and away one of the most succesfsul English managers of his generation on achievements and win-ratios, with possibly only Sir Bobby as his equal.

Now come on DD, you had started to talk sense of late. You've let me down badly on this...

IMO, he is past it and would not have been a success...well, nothing like he was before...

he even admitted to not watching a prem game in the 3 years leading up to his return.......then (so the papers say) wanted this summer £200m to bring in beckham, lampard and Henry..I mean, does he live on planet Mental or something????

in his fisrt post match interview when he took over, he had already resigned to defeat in the job saying it was impossible to get into the top 4....!!! WTF???

didnt he get into that position last time? didnt david oleary, bobby robson, david moyes??

martin jol was mightily close and o'neil will be there in a matter of time..

when you have players like owen, martins etc you dont want to hear your manager basically give up after one game...

good he may have been...that was years ago and his memories as a manager should remain just that...

How can you have pride in your local team when it is populated by the best money can by from all round the world? It just becomes a game of monopoly.

Far better to see players that have been nutured coming through and doing well.

Yes, a few years ago I would have said A, but not any more. It is all about who has the biggest cheque book now. Who cares? Let the super rich go and form their own super league and let the rest of us get on with it.