Niemi retires! Best memories?

equalizer

The match at White Hart Lane where we lost 5-1. Saints were only one goal down at the time but Spurs were all over us. A cross came in and landed well for Defoe to hit on the volley from 5 yards out - he connected perfectly and from point-blank range our favourite Finn not only manages to save it but he held onto it.

There was a communal gasp from all sections of the crowd, acknowledging we had witnessed something that appeared not physically possible. Then a round of applause from everyone. The Spurs players retreated to defend, the Saints players re-arranged themselves and Niemi bowls the ball out 25 yards to one of our midfielders - who passed the ball square to ... Jermaine Defoe who had a simple run-in for a one-on-one with Niemi and this time there was nothing he could do. Spurs went 2-0 up.

It made you wonder how such a marvellous goalkeeper could remin sane in front of such a chaotic defence.

spent the entire evening in London thinking Niemi had scored at Fulham. Even now I still prefer to think that is what happened. Still makes me smile the feeling I got from those marvelous last 8 minutes...the guy is a legend despite his Fratton **** up.

Probably the second best player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt (behind Matt Le Tiss of course!) and that's no exageration.

Since I started watching Saints ('89-'90 season) you can count the number of world-class players we've had on one hand. Probably wouldn't need the whole set of fingers either.

That's what Antii was, when he was with us - world class.

There were few football players alive or ever who were consistently as faultless and brilliant as he was.

I'm not exagerating - I don't think I've ever seen a better goalkeeper. People like Cech ("the best goalkeeper in the world" TM), Reina, van der Sar, aren't even in the same league.

We were very lucky to have him.

I wish Niemi hadnt gone off injured in the FA Cup final because we may have won it.

I can only remember one mistake by him and that was the one against the Skates in THAT game no one mentions.

He was a great keeper for us and i was sorry to see him go.

Good luck Anti.

I've read some stupid posts in my time but this is a cracker!

The first game I ever went to was Villa in the relegation season. We were 2-1 up at the time and he managed to smother a loose ball on the line after a frantic goalmouth scramble. The memory is somewhat darkened by the result, but it had the Northam and Itchen chanting his name.

Triple save against the Arse for me. I also remember him making some blinding saves in the 4-3 Norwich game.

All the best Antti. Come back and be a goalkeeping coach!

Against Aresenal when Delap scored 2 late goals and gooners getting a draw with the last kick, 1-0 down and he made an incredible save to keep us in, havent seen that one on youtube

But the triple save was my best ever moment of football at SMS, the northam stand had the best view of that, the most underated save in premiership history.

You forget some of the excellent saves he made for us, thats just how good he was, in a sense you took him for granted, you just knew how good he was. As good a keeper for us as Shilton although when he joined us Shilts shipped goals for the first few games, Antti never did he was always fantastic, i dont remember any mistakes he made off hand.

But mostly i will remember him as someone who gave his time willingly to fans and charities, ask anyone at southampton general kids ward even after he left us, that says it all for me

Top man, top keeper, welcome anytime at St Marys All the best Antti

My best memory of him was shortly after he arrived. I can't remember who we were playing, but was in the Northam when he pulled off probably the greatest save I've ever seen. The ball was struck hard and was arrowing for the corner of the goal. Seemingly Niemi was too far away from it to do anything about a certain goal. Somehow, time seemed to pass in slow motion as he leapt across the goal and tipped it clear with his fingertips. For a second there was silence as the incredulous crowd could not believe what they had seen. Then the ground erupted with spontaneous and prolonged applause as they realised that they had witnessed a moment of true greatness.

The triple save is often mentioned as his greatest single moment, but in terms of overall match performances, I'll never forget his first away game for Saints at Bolton - it's probably more commonly remembered for Wayne Bridge's goal and 'windmill' celebration. Niemi was unbelievably good that day and was only beaten by the last kick of the match, an unmissable tap-in by Djorkaeff. Prior to that, some of the reaction saves, including one from Dean Holdsworth who'd hammered the ball at the goal from no more than six yards, beggered belief. Watching from the top tier of the stand were a few hundred awe-struck Saints fans, and I came away from the game wondering if Niemi had peaked! Thankfully, he hadn't. Another game during that season where he was incredible was the away win at West Ham, Beattie sticking a stoppage-time nail in Glenn Roeder's coffin. I was watching it on TV and Niemi stopped it from being a consolation goal in a heavy defeat. He is the greatest goalkeeper I've ever seen play for Saints and I reckon he's probably our best ever - I never saw Shilton play for us, but I find it hard to believe that he could possibly have been any better than Niemi. Some lucky club is about to land itself a magnificent goalkeeping coach.

I was at that game and was very, very impressed. Just after Antti signed, Finland and Wales were playing each other in a WC Qualifier so there were Saints goalies at both ends (Niemi and Jones). The strikers on both sides got really fed up as Jones made about 7 brilliant saves but Antti still outdid him, leaving Bellamy and co. stunned! One of my favourite sporting memories. Also, Antti saved England's bacon in 2002 with brilliant saves to keep Germany out whilst Beckham scored that wonderful free-kick. You'd have to go some to see a better save than Antti's Vs Villa though!

Top player and top man, hopefully Antti will be involved with us in a non-playing capacity in the future. We've had a lot of wasters and people abusing the club since 2003 at all levels - playing, managers, coaches and directors but Antti is the real deal and his desire for Saints to succeed was genuine.

Can he be our goalkeeping coach please? Learnt from the best, played at the top level, loves the club, still lives nearby I think, and no doubt looking for a job.

Not to mention Webster is crap.

I think he would be a good choice in many ways but have we got money to lay off Webster(contract) and employ new Coach.

money money money If only we could get some. Thought Webster was moving on to Scotland job with his mate George. Maybe in the near future.

He was amazing, sad to see him retire. I'll probably never see another keeper better at Saints, everything about his game, and the way he carried himself, was quality.

Except for his shooting of course, can't believe he hit the bar!

Niemi made some great saves from behind an often poor defence. One memory I have of him is when we were defending a free kick from 5 yards outside the box he requested a gap in the middle of the wall. The shot came straight through the gap for him to punch clear. Amazing confidence in his own ability.

Best keeper I have ever seen bar none (Shilton, Cech, Schmeichel, included).

It doesn't surprise me that both Man U and Arsenal wanted to sign him when we did and it's only testament to the man that he kept his word and signed for us.

The best thing about him was that you know when it seems like the game seems to slow down whenever it looks the ball is heading for the top corner and you're watching in matrix style slow mo? Nine times out of ten, he was there keeping it out.

Simply brilliant - I'd have him play for us one handed.

Get him as a GK coach and we'll be better for it I'm sure.

Met him at an last game of the season after game 'meet the fans' gigs somewhere in south london. He came across as a very humble person, that was the day of the last away day and if i remember righty he was the theme. I told him he was the best keeper that Saints have ever had, he said straight away 'what about Shilton?' I grew up watching Shilton in goal at the Milton road and thought he was amazing, but, he definately was not the same keeper towards the end of his stay, where as for me Neimi never dipped. i told him so.

We sung this song all the way from Birmingham to Bristol(train)after what was one of the happiest days in my Saints supporting history, after the semi v watford. Knowing that Saints were in the cup final and guaranteed euro football.

ANTI NEIMI CAME DOWN FROM HEARTS ONE NIGHT

ANTI NEIMI SAVES EVERY THING IN SIGHT

ANTI N.E.I.M.I WE ARE RIGHT BEHIND YOU.....OOOU

Proper hero for me.

Simply a legend. I saw Shilton play, and Niemi was - in my opinion - a better keeper. (May have a lot to do with better fitness, coaching, etc than Shilton's era because there is no doubt that in his time Shilton was untouchable)

I echo the sentiments of many that I would love to see him back as a coach (the BBC say he could resume some training in a couple of months, so its not impossible!) or hell even Niemi with one hand could be better than what we've got between the sticks at the moment!

Probably the second best player I've ever seen in a Saints shirt (behind Matt Le Tiss of course!) and that's no exageration.

Since I started watching Saints ('89-'90 season) you can count the number of world-class players we've had on one hand. Probably wouldn't need the whole set of fingers either.

That's what Antii was, when he was with us - world class.

There were few football players alive or ever who were consistently as faultless and brilliant as he was.

I'm not exagerating - I don't think I've ever seen a better goalkeeper. People like Cech ("the best goalkeeper in the world" TM), Reina, van der Sar, aren't even in the same league.

We were very lucky to have him.

He was definitely the best keeper in the Premiership between 2002-2004

I really hope he returns to Saints one day as goalkeeping coach - he could teach young keepers so much.

2nd ever greatest saints keeper in my lifetime, 1st has got be be Shilton with Flowers a distant 3rd to both of them.

All the best for the future Annti, I really hope you enjoy your retirement, come back to the Saints soon!