Branfoot.. Did you know..?

Robsk II

He was academy director at Sunderland between 1998 and 2002, before leaving.

He is currently a football professional at Winchester College.

I found this interesting.

I was getting myself in a holiday mood until I read the word "Branfoot" and it`s taken the edge off things! It brought back things from the dark recesses of my mind. I might need some councilling!:(:)

I'll always remember the rueful smile on his face after Matt le Tiss scored the first of those two wonder goals against Newcastle. He was going to sub him and he had the number 7 card ready and Paul Moody (I think) stripped off. If you watch the recording you can see him turn to his right and say 'sit down'. If he had had his way then we would have been deprived of two of the greatest goals that I have ever seen.

I'll always remember the rueful smile on his face after Matt le Tiss scored the first of those two wonder goals against Newcastle. He was going to sub him and he had the number 7 card ready and Paul Moody (I think) stripped off. If you watch the recording you can see him turn to his right and say 'sit down'. If he had had his way then we would have been deprived of two of the greatest goals that I have ever seen.

Someone pointed this out a couple of years ago on the old Saintsforever and it is absolutely correct. Brandfoot almost looked disapointed that Le Tiss had scored and told moody to put his top back on.

moody over Le Tiss, should be enough to explain to anybody why that man was a disaster for Saints

Each to their own Dicko. It may well be pointless, but so is hating Redknapp. And opinions always vary. I never, ever wanted Hoddle to come back, ever, I hate him, but plenty of people thought differently!

Anyway, he did his best to get us relegated. It just so happened that Le God was against him in that!

As the years go on, I think the reaction Branfoot still gets is pointless.

He never got us relegated

He ******* would have done, if we hadn't sacked him. And as for the reaction he still recieves, that's just testement the appaulling football he served up, with what was actually a decent squad. The man is a dark stain in our history.

Winchester are welcome to him

Christian Ziege...?

And yes, I'm not sure they're known for their footballing talent as a college. I don't know what a "football professional" is either.

Perhaps in the same sense as Golf Professional; a man paid to teach the game. Winchester College tend not to use the word 'teacher' if they can avoid it.

Winchester have this crazy football/rugby hybrid game, which only they and Eton seem to play. I went to watch it once, apparently Prince William was playing, although the mud made it impossible to tell. Utterly incomprehensible and I never did find out who'd won. I should imagine they'd turn out a host of professionals at that should there ever be a market...

Someone pointed this out a couple of years ago on the old Saintsforever and it is absolutely correct. Brandfoot almost looked disapointed that Le Tiss had scored and told moody to put his top back on.

moody over Le Tiss, should be enough to explain to anybody why that man was a disaster for Saints

Bit like Leon Best over Gregorz Rasiak, or Jermaine Wright over Jhon Viafara..

No he didn't but like someone else said he would have done. We have L Mac's return to thank for that as L Mac told Askham get rid or we go down.

Branfoot as a man was a very nice bloke and was always prepared to spend time talking with the fans etc etc. Just wasn't up to the job and remains another of Askham's follies.

next manager of Man City I heard today.

They need someone who can earn respect from the likes of Kaka, Ronaldo, Messi and the like

Branfoot will soon teach those fancy buggers to track back and tackle...or he'll leave them out.

Yes,Branfoot will ' learn 'em'.

I will assume from that comment that you are twenty years old or younger.

Branfoot easily the worst manager we have ever had.

And, by the way, as this is my last post of the day, I am quiety ****ing myself at Alpine comparing Jhon Viafara (John. Viafara.) to Matthew Le Tissier.

There's not enough of these :rolleyes: in the world to respond to that garbage.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Branfoot's first season was my first season as a season ticket holder - glory days!!

He may never have got us relegated, but he didn't do a bad job. And what he had to do to 'achieve' that!

There was a link on here a while ago to the Saints 4 - 1 Liverpool game on You Tube. Look at that. That was what, 89 and Branfoot came in 91. Look at the team we had then. Amazing. Amazing. I don't think it's a lie to say we really should have been pushing for the top 2 by the turn of the decade (is that not why Nicoll got the boot, his failure to get us challenging?)

I know Shearer would have left eventually but if we'd replaced Nicoll with a top class manager, who knows where we'd have been!

As it was Branfoot quickly dismantled that team and sent us hurtling towards the bottom

Edited by Sheff Saint

I will assume from that comment that you are twenty years old or younger.

Branfoot easily the worst manager we have ever had.

And, by the way, as this is my last post of the day, I am quiety ****ing myself at Alpine comparing Jhon Viafara (John. Viafara.) to Matthew Le Tissier.

There's not enough of these :rolleyes: in the world to respond to that garbage.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Strange. I thought I was comparing Jermaine Wright to Jhon Viafara and making a comparitive comment about 2 shiite managers being unable to judge and use their best team.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Suppose logical thought is lost on you........

Paul Moody whould have got a hat trick!!!!

No he didn't but like someone else said he would have done. We have L Mac's return to thank for that as L Mac told Askham get rid or we go down.

Branfoot as a man was a very nice bloke and was always prepared to spend time talking with the fans etc etc. Just wasn't up to the job and remains another of Askham's follies.

Agreed he was a decent person and did take a lot of time speaking with the fans, even though most were calling for his blood. I had a long chat with him after training on one occasion (actually the day he got the boot) and he was totally sure his way was the right way and despite this conviction it was clear he was totally misguided about his footballing ideals. At the end of our conversation he asked whether it made me feel better and all I could think of saying was 'no, not really.' He looked a bit surprised.

Then again, English football was pretty committed to that 'kick it down the channels and see what happens' mentality at the time. Who could ever imagine Graham Taylor would be England manager.

Branfoot's first season was my first season as a season ticket holder - glory days!!

He may never have got us relegated, but he didn't do a bad job. And what he had to do to 'achieve' that!

There was a link on here a while ago to the Saints 4 - 1 Liverpool game on You Tube. Look at that. That was what, 89 and Branfoot came in 91. Look at the team we had then. Amazing. Amazing. I don't think it's a lie to say we really should have been pushing for the top 2 by the turn of the decade (is that not why Nicoll got the boot, his failure to get us challenging?)

I know Shearer would have left eventually but if we'd replaced Nicoll with a top class manager, who knows where we'd have been!

As it was Branfoot quickly dismantled that team and sent us hurtling towards the bottom

Nail. Hit. The. Head. The. On.

As Yoda would have said...

Indeed. it's the same sort of mentality that gets a hard working, and fairly talented professional footballer like Darren Anderton to gain more recognition from a deluded football association than an unmitigated genius like a certain Guernseyman.

And I make no apologies for praising the foreigner over the local man. Genius speaks louder than locality. ;)

Indeed. it's the same sort of mentality that gets a hard working, and fairly talented professional footballer like Darren Anderton to gain more recognition from a deluded football association than an unmitigated genius like a certain Guernseyman.

And I make no apologies for praising the foreigner over the local man. Genius speaks louder than locality. ;)

Correct me if I am wrong(more often than not my wife would say) but Venables may be the catalyst here regarding Anderton and Le Tiss and maybe even Hoddle and the Spurs connection.

Anderton moved to Spurs and Le Tiss changed his mind at the last moment after agreeing? Saints offered same money(same money meant he may have decided he was never going to leave anyway.

I always thought there was that held against the mighty MLT.

Just a thought I have carried regarding the Managers of England and the way thet treated God.

Please don't ask me to explain other England Managers like Taylor and Lawrie Mac, maybe it was only us Saints supporters, Platini and the Brazilian Manager and the rest of the World could see it in MLT

Hope you didn't mind me getting that off my chest. Back to the nursing home and the medication...Nurse... take him away.

Edited by ottery st mary

Askham again - and the man is still involved with SFC.