Knackered Laptop

Clapham Saint

My laptop is f**ked. Any ideas?

It is out of warrantee and Sony Vaio can take a look at it but it could get expensive. Given that they want to charge me £180 minimum for any repairs and £120 even if I turn their quote down.

Given that it cost £900 a year and a half ago its probably not worth even close to that now.

Basically…

When I turn it on the boot appears to be working as normal except that are blue dots and dashes all over the screen.

The boot gets through the Vista loading page (the green bar running left to right and the bottom of the screen), still with the dots and dashes but these are now green.

It then freezes with just the green dots and dashes.

I tried safe mode but that didn’t help.

The recovery partition appears to be working fine, no dots and dashes, and so I tried reformatting it to the factory install.

This didn’t help and it boots exactly the same as before.

If I try to boot in safe mode it tells me that it can’t complete the installation in safe mode and that I need to re-start.

Any help greatly appreciated.

The system is:

Sony VAIO FZ21 S / Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz / 2GB / 200GB / 15.4" / Blu-Ray / Vista Home Premium / Laptop / Notebook

· Processor: Intel Core2 Duo processor T7500 (2.2 GHz and 800 MHz FSB)

· Memory: 2 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (2x1024 MB), maximum 4 GB DDR2-667 SDRAM

· HD Capacity: 200 GB Serial ATA 5400 rpm hard disk drive

· Display: 15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800) Widescreen X-black LCD screen

· Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS graphics processing unit with Total Available Graphics Memory of 1023 MB and dedicated Video Memory of 256 MB

· Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

· Optical Drive: Blu-ray Disc Combo drive (BD-ROM/DVD±RW/±R DL/RAM)

· Networking: Ethernet 100 BASE-TX/10 BASE-T, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g, Bluetooth

· Features: Built-in 'Motion Eye' Digital Camera (30 frames per second, 1.3 Mega Pixels) with Motion Picture Function (max. resolution (pixels) SXGA/1280x1024/raw data)

· Interface:

· 4 Pin i.LINK (IEEE1394), 400 Mbps: 1

· DC in: 1

· Memory Stick Slot: 1

· Memory Stick Slot Type: Memory Stick Std / Duo, Memory Stick PRO Std / Duo, high speed data transfer

· SD Card Slot: 1

· Audio out: 1

· Audio out Type(s): Stereo Headphones/Speakers Jack

· Microphone Jack: 1

· RJ-11 Direct Port (Modem): 1

· RJ-45 Direct Port (Network): 1

· USB Speed: High/Full/Low

· USB Port (quantity): 3

· USB Version: 2

· USB Connector Type: A

· VGA Connector for Monitor: 1

· TV out: 2

· TV out type: S-Video + HDMI

· Express Card Slot: 1

· Express Card Slot Type: 34mm

But with 4gb of ram in it.

There seem to be a few people on here who can generally help with this sort of thing any suggestions greatfully received.

Vaio web support suggested resetting my Bios by

Please restart your vaio and keep tapping the F2 key till you enter the Bios.Once in the Bios reset it to the default.To do so press the F9 on your keyboard.You will be presented with a message to confirm and press F10 to exit”

But this hasn’t helped.

:(:(

Sounds like a screen issue to be honest but try an external monitor as Mewsta suggests. Also, do you get the dots and dashes in the bios start-up screen prior to Vista loading?

If you need any work doing on it give me a shout as I'm a Toshiba and HP accredited laptop technician (not Sony but that doen't matter if it's out of warranty anyway). I certainly wouldn't charge you anywhere near the rates you're quoting!

Go back to where you bought it and quote the Sale Of Goods act at them. Anything sold should be fit for purpose and, in the case of electronic equipment, be good for a 6 year lifespan. This has nothing to do with the manufacturer's warranty and it is the responsibility of the retailer to sort it out. Be firm and threaten legal action if necessary. You are within your rights.

Ok I'll give that a try tonight.

Would the graphics card prevent it booting though? (no I don't know anything about how it works)

Thanks,

CS

Yea, a graphics card issue could prevent it booting.

To be honest the symptoms sound like it may have taken a whack at some point. The issue you stated sounds like the screen, however the boot could be another issue...... Check the screen first and let me know how you get on....

If you need any help on the OS config side of stuff give me a shout, that is if 'Son of Bob' only does hardware :)

Sounds like a screen issue to be honest but try an external monitor as Mewsta suggests. Also, do you get the dots and dashes in the bios start-up screen prior to Vista loading?

If you need any work doing on it give me a shout as I'm a Toshiba and HP accredited laptop technician (not Sony but that doen't matter if it's out of warranty anyway). I certainly wouldn't charge you anywhere near the rates you're quoting!

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it.

I get dots and dashes on the bios screen.

Without wanting to certainty accross as acomplete idiot though I've pluged a monitor in but can't work out how to switch the output to it.

I can't change the settings in windows (obviously) as I can't boot. I've looked for a setting in the bios but can't see anything obvious.

Should it switch to the monitor automatically?

Bloody computers!

look along the Function keys, i.e F5 F6 and look for something that looks like 2 monitors. Press the Fn key on the laptop, along with the relevant 'F' and cycle through until it goes onto both screens, not sure if it will do this pre boot or not though....

IMO it sounds like it has been dropped, do you have access to another HDD to try that and see how that boots?

look along the Function keys, i.e F5 F6 and look for something that looks like 2 monitors. Press the Fn key on the laptop, along with the relevant 'F' and cycle through until it goes onto both screens, not sure if it will do this pre boot or not though....

IMO it sounds like it has been dropped, do you have access to another HDD to try that and see how that boots?

F7 by the look of it. No luck on either the standard desktop monitor or the hdmi.

As for it being a knock.... Not totally out of the question. Thinking back it did fall from being leant against the sofashortly before, so that was probably it.

I'm aware that this might not me something that anybody could tell for sure without seeing it but if it is the jolt is it likely to have broken a component or can I open it up to put whatever has come lose back?

F7 by the look of it. No luck on either the standard desktop monitor or the hdmi.

As for it being a knock.... Not totally out of the question. Thinking back it did fall from being leant against the sofashortly before, so that was probably it.

I'm aware that this might not me something that anybody could tell for sure without seeing it but if it is the jolt is it likely to have broken a component or can I open it up to put whatever has come lose back?

i doubt its a come lose, but then i doubt it falling from being leant would do any damage, i was thinking more from a table or something.....?

may as well open it up and check i spose.

i doubt its a come lose, but then i doubt it falling from being leant would do any damage, i was thinking more from a table or something.....?

may as well open it up and check i spose.

Deffimately hasn't fallen that far.

Will try opening it up tomorrow I guess.

Anything I should be expecting to see? (other than just the inside of a computer obviously)

Thanks guys

Deffimately hasn't fallen that far.

Will try opening it up tomorrow I guess.

Anything I should be expecting to see? (other than just the inside of a computer obviously)

Thanks guys

Have you ever opened up a laptop?

If not good luck! Generally to get to the stage where you have a clear view of the system board and screen connections you will have to remove between 30 and 50 screws and more often than not, the entire lid assembly. You will probably also need to remove the screen to check all the cable connections to that as the ribbon cables and inverters are often behind the LCD panel itself in the lid.

All I'll say is make a note of where you remove screws from. A good tip is to lay out a piece of A4 paper and as you remove the screws lay them on the paper corresponding to where they came out of the case.

Also if you have a digital camera take a couple of pictures of the system board and screen connections before removing any internal cards or cables so you can remember where they came from!

Good luck!

Have you ever opened up a laptop?

If not good luck! Generally to get to the stage where you have a clear view of the system board and screen connections you will have to remove between 30 and 50 screws and more often than not, the entire lid assembly. You will probably also need to remove the screen to check all the cable connections to that as the ribbon cables and inverters are often behind the LCD panel itself in the lid.

All I'll say is make a note of where you remove screws from. A good tip is to lay out a piece of A4 paper and as you remove the screws lay them on the paper corresponding to where they came out of the case.

Also if you have a digital camera take a couple of pictures of the system board and screen connections before removing any internal cards or cables so you can remember where they came from!

Good luck!

Exactly what SoB said.... I messed a few up in my early days (have it down to a T now......) You can always drop me a PM for any advice and SoB's offered too... Good Luck

this may or may not help.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=2883271#post2883271

Any yes, its not particularly simple taking a lappy apart, and usually very different from one to the next....a decent prising tool would be a good idea

Ok, although I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment (wedding :smt041), one look at the photos on that link reminds me that I have no idea what I'm doing and will probably do more harm than good.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll see if there is anybody local who can fix it at sinsible price (any idea what it should cost?) if not I'll send a couple of MPs.

Thanks guys!

CS

Ok, although I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment (wedding :smt041), one look at the photos on that link reminds me that I have no idea what I'm doing and will probably do more harm than good.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll see if there is anybody local who can fix it at sinsible price (any idea what it should cost?) if not I'll send a couple of MPs.

Thanks guys!

CS

Cost will really be down to where the problem lies... It's quite hard to cost without knowing the problem. A couple hours of labour from someone to take a look and work out the issue should give you a better idea.