Bradley Wright-Phillips

Master Bates

Again I wish all these things could be played out, but if that is the case you and I have supported many players who have broken the law, many of them heroes.We cannot pick and choose who we make examples of.

Fernandes was done for drink driving and refusing to stop. To me that was a life threatening offence.Many of our players have been over the limit but have we campaigned against them?

It's a very valid point. But funny that the only players who have been jumped on for their crimes, are the ones who weren't all that popular in the first place ;)

Fernandes and BT were both good examples of a popular player who were committed of a crime, and the fans still backed them and said 'oh well, nevermind'

But any player who isn't liked so much, or doesn't have massive support, is hated on for committing a similar crime.

Fickle? Football fans? Naaah ;)

Well done to the Crown Prosecution Service then for bringing a charge without enough evidence.

Mind you, don't think there is a law in Blighty these days for being drunk and incredibly stupid.

Let's hope he can now put this behind him and move on.

Preferably to Plymouth and give us a loan fee as well

I work for the CPS. They would not have brought the prosecution if they did not think that there was enough evidence to convict. If the bench thought otherwise that is down to them (and they are not legally trained remember).

It's a very valid point. But funny that the only players who have been jumped on for their crimes, are the ones who weren't all that popular in the first place ;)

Fernandes and BT were both good examples of a popular player who were committed of a crime, and the fans still backed them and said 'oh well, nevermind'

But any player who isn't liked so much, or doesn't have massive support, is hated on for committing a similar crime.

Fickle? Football fans? Naaah ;)

Which crime are you referring to with Beattie? It could be his drink driving or the placing of his head in a bowl of muffins, if memory serves. That was a funny time on Saints Forever!!

Did anyone see the snipet in the sun today quoting Ian Wright saying that before the whole burglary incident that there was a premier league club interested? Surely not???

I just read this and I'm shocked I can only think mabye it was Stoke, Hull or WBA getting desperate.

Mabye it was Man City wanting to reunite the WP brothers together.

Did anyone see the snipet in the sun today quoting Ian Wright saying that before the whole burglary incident that there was a premier league club interested? Surely not???

I just read this and I'm shocked I can only think mabye it was Stoke, Hull or WBA getting desperate.

Mabye it was Man City wanting to reunite the WP brothers together.

Are they not guided in any way while making a decision such as this?

They would get guidance in points of law from the Clerk of the Court, but at the end of the day the bench, three ordinary people, will make a decision in the Magistrate's court.

The CPS give pre charge advice to the police and recommend charges based on the evidence and the likelyhood of conviction. The police can, and do, bring their own charges without using or taking CPS advice.

The CPS cannot second guess what a Magistrate's bench, a judge or a jury will conclude, hence a number of "failed" prosecutions.

I don't know the facts in this case and even if I did, am not allow to divulge them, but I have seen the CCTV footage like everyone else. There doesn't seem to be any direct evidence that BWP went through people's bags and stole anything, but he was standing in the doorway whilst it was going on and I guess you could argure that he might have been part of the robbery in that he could have been acting as a lookout? There are bound to be black spots (no pun intended) in the film, perhaps he did do something that was not recorded but suggested? Who really knows apart from BWP and his friends?

The Barry George case was very different. Again it was obviously decided that there was enough evidence to bring a prosecution and it was successful in that he was found guilty. That in itself should tell you that there was a case to answer. The fact that he was cleared on appeal is another matter, but his actions since still cast doubts over his behaviour. We shall probably never know the truth, but as far as the law is concerned, his name has now been cleared so that is that.

Maybe he was innocent? Plenty of guilty people have walked free on points of law. Some innocent people do get convicted. No legal system is perfect but our system is vigorous and in any failed prosecution there is a thorough case review.

Bringing prosecutions is a long winded and costly process and they are not brought lightly. Like anything, in hindsight different decisions might be made, but as I have said, the CPS cannot possibly be certain that every prosecution will be successful, but do not proceed unless it is believed that there is a strong case to answer. It is up to others in the criminal justice system to make the final decisions.

What is certain is that both Dyer and BWP behaved very badly that night. These are not street thugs, these are very well paid young professionals who have let their profession, their club, their families and their fans down big time.

Must have been Derby.

He is up there with Lee Todd and Graham Potter as the worst ever Saints footballers.

Which crime are you referring to with Beattie? It could be his drink driving or the placing of his head in a bowl of muffins, if memory serves. That was a funny time on Saints Forever!!

Drink driving. The muffin thing was just stupid and showed he can be a ****, but drink driving is inexcusable.

They would get guidance in points of law from the Clerk of the Court, but at the end of the day the bench, three ordinary people, will make a decision in the Magistrate's court.

The CPS give pre charge advice to the police and recommend charges based on the evidence and the likelyhood of conviction. The police can, and do, bring their own charges without using or taking CPS advice.

The CPS cannot second guess what a Magistrate's bench, a judge or a jury will conclude, hence a number of "failed" prosecutions.

I don't know the facts in this case and even if I did, am not allow to divulge them, but I have seen the CCTV footage like everyone else. There doesn't seem to be any direct evidence that BWP went through people's bags and stole anything, but he was standing in the doorway whilst it was going on and I guess you could argure that he might have been part of the robbery in that he could have been acting as a lookout? There are bound to be black spots (no pun intended) in the film, perhaps he did do something that was not recorded but suggested? Who really knows apart from BWP and his friends?

The Barry George case was very different. Again it was obviously decided that there was enough evidence to bring a prosecution and it was successful in that he was found guilty. That in itself should tell you that there was a case to answer. The fact that he was cleared on appeal is another matter, but his actions since still cast doubts over his behaviour. We shall probably never know the truth, but as far as the law is concerned, his name has now been cleared so that is that.

Maybe he was innocent? Plenty of guilty people have walked free on points of law. Some innocent people do get convicted. No legal system is perfect but our system is vigorous and in any failed prosecution there is a thorough case review.

Bringing prosecutions is a long winded and costly process and they are not brought lightly. Like anything, in hindsight different decisions might be made, but as I have said, the CPS cannot possibly be certain that every prosecution will be successful, but do not proceed unless it is believed that there is a strong case to answer. It is up to others in the criminal justice system to make the final decisions.

What is certain is that both Dyer and BWP behaved very badly that night. These are not street thugs, these are very well paid young professionals who have let their profession, their club, their families and their fans down big time.

Good explanation SoG. What is a real shame is that there is no charge of 'being a naughty boy' and/or an irresponsible idiot. The CPS are hamstrung by having to prove burglary when anyone with half a brain could see what the boy was doing was fundamentally WRONG.

But seems like that sort of thinking - the difference between right and wrong - is going out of fashion....

Drink driving. The muffin thing was just stupid and showed he can be a ****, but drink driving is inexcusable.

It's all about PR though isn't it? I certainly remember BT making a big thing of his community service in the press, saying how much he enjoyed it, how much he'd been an idiot, etc.

As Dyer pleaded guilty, he could easily have given an interview saying "I was an idiot, I'd had a few drinks, etc. I'd like to make it up to the girls by giving them £x to replace the missing goods and £x for them to give to a charity of their choice". If he'd done that, there wouldn't have been so much criticism on this board.

I think there are many reasons why Dyer and BWP have received a lot more criticism than BT or Fernandes. Racism may well be one of them. But also the body language of Dyer on the pitch is in complete contrast to BT, and does leave himself open to the "takes the money and doesn't care" criticisms. Also, you could argue that what BT and Fernandes did weren't victimless crimes, but the victim was a bit more clear cut in this case, so it's easy to take sides.