We Are In The Poo

Gemmel

Ah those would be the results that aren't published yet, just a brief trading statement that there would be a 5 million pre-tax loss on 14 million turnover.

Are you all absolutely sure that we made 12 million on player trading last

year or is that just a bit of fag packet calculation.??

When you speak of gate receipts being down this season have you taken into account the additional home friendly and the extra Carling Cup revenues?

Just checking to see if I can make myself as miserable as you seem to be.

No, I based it on the figure given in the trading statement which said a pre tax loss of £5m despite taking into account £12m profit on player trading.

As for your view of gate receipts, I said that gates were very likely to diminish going forward.

I appreciate these are hard things to accept for some people but denial is not a great strategy.

Try this;

Fact: Gates are going down from what they were two years ago and likely to go down still further.

Fact: income from player sales is radically down

Fact: parachute payments are gone

Fact: several players are still on the clubs payroll that the club is desperate to see the back of.

Opinion: the team have probably played as well as they are going to play this season already and it is all downhill from here

If you draw a graph with all that data on where does it go?

No, I based it on the figure given in the trading statement which said a pre tax loss of £5m despite taking into account £12m profit on player trading.

As for your view of gate receipts, I said that gates were very likely to diminish going forward.

I appreciate these are hard things to accept for some people but denial is not a great strategy.

Try this;

Fact: Gates are going down from what they were two years ago and likely to go down still further.

Fact: income from player sales is radically down

Fact: parachute payments are gone

Fact: several players are still on the clubs payroll that the club is desperate to see the back of.

Opinion: the team have probably played as well as they are going to play this season already and it is all downhill from here

If you draw a graph with all that data on where does it go?

Read the trading statement again. Extract the salient facts and come and argue with me again.

It doesn't say player trading profit of 12 million ,it say disposal of players amounting to 12 million (unless I can't read properly,although it depends how you read it) Trading loss 13 million

before player trading, gross loss 8 million. We might have sold players for

12 million (Jones,Baird,Pele,Best Compensation plus add on for Theo) but

we also bought players for a fair whack, Th figures would indicate that player trading profits reduce the loss from 13 million to 8 million.

Edited by Window Cleaner

QUOTE]

Why on earth do you say that? There's absolutely no reason why they can't play considerably better.

It is as you say only an opinion, but **** me i'm glad i'm not as miserable as you.

But then from memory your poems are full of premature death and decay, so I probably shoudn't be surprised.

Chill out Edgar. You might even enjoy it.

Richard was a very good footballer, very good teacher, sports and other, very nice bloke and ended up as a deputy head as TDD stated and a senior security/sreward type for Saints. All tittle tattle but stated because you were mentioned as knowing nothing about football and would not listen when I tell you the score. Anyway before you get out of your pram, I have had serious words and put the matter right and told him you have learnt a little from the prof and that you are now described as being reasonably knowledgeable about the mighty Saints.

In the meantime lets get behind the team and get a few results.

Well then OSM. Considering you dont know who I am and the said person ive never heard of I dont know how you can have a conversation about me.

PM me who you think I am and Im certain you have mistaken identity.

Read the trading statement again. Extract the salient facts and come and argue with me again.

It doesn't say player trading profit of 12 million ,it say disposal of players amounting to 12 million (unless I can't read properly,although it depends how you read it) Trading loss 13 million

before player trading, gross loss 8 million. We might have sold players for

12 million (Jones,Baird,Pele,Best Compensation plus add on for Theo) but

we also bought players for a fair whack, Th figures would indicate that player trading profits reduce the loss from 13 million to 8 million.

I have to say that Edgar's summary is more in line with the financial turmoil we are currently in.

Looking at the numbers mentioned in the Trading Statement, I would expect our P & L for last year to be something like this:

Income---------14m

Cost of Sales---(22m) of which £12m is wages

Gross Loss------(8m)

Admin costs-----(5m)

Operating Loss--(13m)

Interest---------(2m)

Loss before player tading --(15m)

So this was our normal trading loss last season, a loss of £15m which was only bailed out by player sales and pulling forward the payments on Walcott and Bale (can't remember if Bale's money came before 30 June).

Then we consider player trading (which is not accounted for on a "cash" basis (in simple terms player sales effectively make it in to the P&L but purchases are spread over a number of years), which was :

Profit on Diposal of players--- 12m

Amort of players-------------(2m)

Net profit from payer trading--10m

Total Loss Before Tax---------(5m)

What will be really interesting will be the cashflow as the P & L often doesn't give you the "real" position of the company's financial performance.

Edited by um pahars

I have to say that Edgar's summary is more in line with the financial turmoil we are currently in.

Looking at the numbers mentioned in the Trading Statement, I would expect our P & L for last year to be something like this:

Income---------14m

Cost of Sales---(22m) of which £12m is wages

Gross Loss------(8m)

Admin costs-----(5m)

Operating Loss--(13m)

Interest---------(2m)

Loss before player tading --(15m)

So this was our normal trading loss last season, a loss of £15m which was only bailed out by player sales and pulling forward the payments on Walcott and Bale (can't remember if Bale's money came before 30 June).

Then we consider player trading (which is not accounted for on a "cash" basis (in simple terms player sales effectively make it in to the P&L but purchases are spread over a number of years), which was :

Profit on Diposal of players--- 12m

Amort of players-------------(2m)

Net profit from payer trading--10m

Total Loss Before Tax---------(5m)

What will be really interesting will be the cashflow as the P & L often doesn't give you the "real" position of the company's financial performance.

Has anybody confirmed pulling forward the payments on Walcott. All I remember was Crouch denying it. Was he being economical with the truth or did it happen after he left.

Has anybody confirmed pulling forward the payments on Walcott. All I remember was Crouch denying it. Was he being economical with the truth or did it happen after he left.

I'm not sure anyone confirmed it, but it definitely happened. Lowe and Wilde mentioned it in their 9 points and the Echo reported on it (as well as some nationals).

Hone started the negotiations before he left and Crouch concluded them.

It definitely happened and I imagine this will be confirmed once and for all in the Annual Report.

I was under the impression you were Arthur Lowe or Oscar Wilde.
Well perhaps before making grand statements about people you could at least check your facts first.

Arthur Lowe was a very good comic actor and so would be happy with that, Oscar Wilde was a celebrated wit and so you might be right there.

ps Iam getting worried about some of your posts, did you head a lot of leather footballs soaked in water?

Anyone with any sense knew not to head them when they were wet. Anyone who did head them had already lost their senses
I strated playing when the schools were phasing out the old leather balls and the coated ones were new, a lot less pain when you headed those.

I strated playing when the schools were phasing out the old leather balls and the coated ones were new, a lot less pain when you headed those.

But I remember one game with a coated ball where a layer of ice built up on it. If it caught you on bare skin it would strip through to the flesh. And those leather studs used to have nails that stuck up into the bottoms of your feet.

And those leather studs used to have nails that stuck up into the bottoms of your feet.
God how I hated those leather stubs, half the game you were hobbling obout as you ran and the other half you were looking forward to taking them off and putting some bandages on