Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

you couldn't make it up, with double that ££ under jacket ball we had nooooo chance, of getting out of this league, H T F we gonna do it now,,,

if i get to your ground in a wheelchair will one of you pony boys plant me in the vegetable rack each game:mcinnes:

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

The PFA are claiming it is unlawful in the UK to impose these wage caps.

What part of UK law makes wage caps unlawful that US law doesn't make wage caps unlawful in their sports?

For a capitalist society, American sport in some respects is strangely communist in nature... wage caps & player drafts! 

They aren't illegal - they work perfectly well in Rugby.

Besides, it's not an 'individual' wage cap which could potentially be discriminatory but is a 'group' cap.

23 hours ago, stevegrant said:

No they won't.

Any pre-existing contracts can be honoured and will be rated as the division average for cap purposes.

For example, if they're basing it on a 20-man first-team squad (can't remember what the number was), that's a £125k average, so any player already on a contract that's higher than that will only count for £125k for the duration of that contract. Worth also emphasising that there's nothing to stop clubs paying one player £20k a week and splitting the remaining cap money between the rest, so it's not a case of "they can't sign Player X because they can't pay him any more than £2.5k a week". Also, I think players under a certain age don't count towards the cap either, so if they've got a top young talent they could theoretically pay that player whatever they wanted.

Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Do you want to see the Pompey CEO complaining about the wage cap and how it screws Pompey? Of course you do...! 😉

00:00 Intro

00:21 Talk us through your reasons for standing by the manager.

05:38 In your opinion, what percentage of Portsmouth fans want the manager to remain in charge?

06:10 As a business, are you seeing discontent or would you say the "customers" are happy?

08:13 If you didn’t work for/run the club and were a lifelong fan, would you be able to see why people are disillusioned at the moment?

09:20 Could you explain what the salary cap is and how it's going to affect Pompey?

17:12 Why did you not bring in players before the salary cap came into place?

18:47 Will the salary cap result in more investment into the academy?

20:04 Are any new signings imminent?

21:04 Are you still happy with Pompey's transfer policy?

22:56 Why are fans being charged £25 to reserve their seats as part of the flexi-season ticket scheme?

25:21 How many season ticket holders opted to donate their season ticket balance from 2019/20 to the club? Why have those supporters not received a personal thank you?

26:25 Will there be an option for fans unable to attend games to watch on iFollow, even for 3pm Saturday matches? If so, will there be an iFollow season ticket?

28:52 What's the latest on the EFL Trophy final?

29:46 Can you give an update on Fratton Park renovations (North Stand works, Milton End plans and South Stand TV gantry)?

30:50 Is there any news on what the away and third kits for next season will look like?

Edited by Matthew Le God

On 08/08/2020 at 11:57, stevegrant said:

There's a 5% tolerance within which the penalties are purely financial and automatic - for every pound overspent up to the 5% tolerance, that is the fine payable and the revenue is split evenly between all of the compliant teams in the division. For any club going over the 5%, they get referred to an independent disciplinary commission who would have the power to impose pretty much whatever penalty they want.

Listening to Catlin it is interesting that they can take bonusses out of the figure, surely they will just play around with bonusses to get the wages/income up. They will find a way

On 08/08/2020 at 12:21, mack rill said:

you couldn't make it up, with double that ££ under jacket ball we had nooooo chance, of getting out of this league, H T F we gonna do it now,,,

if i get to your ground in a wheelchair will one of you pony boys plant me in the vegetable rack each game:mcinnes:

Of course, the railway line runs along the back of the ground there may be a perfect spot for you there Mack lol

16 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Do you want to see the Pompey CEO complaining about the wage cap and how it screws Pompey? Of course you do...! 😉

00:00 Intro

00:21 Talk us through your reasons for standing by the manager.

05:38 In your opinion, what percentage of Portsmouth fans want the manager to remain in charge? 06:10 As a business, are you seeing discontent or would you say the "customers" are happy?

08:13 If you didn’t work for/run the club and were a lifelong fan, would you be able to see why people are disillusioned at the moment?

09:20 Could you explain what the salary cap is and how it's going to affect Pompey?

17:12 Why did you not bring in players before the salary cap came into place?

18:47 Will the salary cap result in more investment into the academy?

20:04 Are any new signings imminent?

21:04 Are you still happy with Pompey's transfer policy?

22:56 Why are fans being charged £25 to reserve their seats as part of the flexi-season ticket scheme?

25:21 How many season ticket holders opted to donate their season ticket balance from 2019/20 to the club? Why have those supporters not received a personal thank you?

26:25 Will there be an option for fans unable to attend games to watch on iFollow, even for 3pm Saturday matches? If so, will there be an iFollow season ticket?

28:52 What's the latest on the EFL Trophy final?

29:46 Can you give an update on Fratton Park renovations (North Stand works, Milton End plans and South Stand TV gantry)?

30:50 Is there any news on what the away and third kits for next season will look like?

Thanks MLG for that, you are a star as always....

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

Listening to Catlin it is interesting that they can take bonusses out of the figure, surely they will just play around with bonusses to get the wages/income up. They will find a way

They can take promotion and cup-related bonuses out of the equation, but the usual win and appearance fees would still be included, I think.

4 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Mack rill,
You come across as the voice of reason and decency quite distant from the likes of the 'perfumed' Mr Westwood and Co.
Perhaps you might consider leaving the Dark Side and become an honorary 'Scummer' and break a few Dock Strikes along the way!!!

in the early seventy's i was one of a few who watched both sides, then things got silly.

• Like 4

On 13/08/2020 at 17:47, mack rill said:

in the early seventy's i was one of a few who watched both sides, then things got silly.

I was the same as a kid. I was gutted when poopey lost the fa cup semi against Liverpool...

That got drummed out of me at school!

1 hour ago, Danbert said:

Further excuses for not "investing" in their faded glory/money pit. I guess they'll be stuck playing in a shack for the foreseeable.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/milton-end-hold-continues-despite-portsmouth-given-green-light-council-chiefs-2944890

‘We need to get this right for the start. We feel our plans for the stadium will bring a huge amount of opportunity for residents in the local area - and we feel there should be some contribution towards that. It shouldn’t all be at our cost.’

So they want to improve their property and increase their income but want others to help pay for it. Odd its as though they have done this before

On 07/08/2020 at 23:49, Saint86 said:

Just finished reading an article on the Athletic about JWP.

He's funded his old sports club from where he played when he was a kid (before joining the saints academy). There is now a mural on the clubhouse external wall (anti graffiti paint) of him - although not in a saints kit 🤣).

His old trainer David Hill mentions how one day, JWP's dad came in and asked David where he should send JWP given he had been approached by both clubs. He admits that even now he doesn't wish JWP had joined Portsmouth and that he would send his own kids to Saints. Mentions the lack of funding/support the Skate's academy has.

Given that was then and things have only got worse in recent years (to the point where their kids are now going to local Portsmouth football clubs where our Captain adorns their walls, you really do have to wonder what future there is for them as a club and a fanbase.

Their sons will wear our shirts etc 😆

Better yet, he even criticises the Pompey players. He says "they come down here, spend 30min on their phones and then leave", whereas JWP came gave them the funding to tackle their asbestos club house and stayed down for a couple of hours with the kids etc.

IMG_20190918_174420-e1568985659221-1024x

Every year the same mistake, it's ridiculous.

Why can't they get the fixtures correct for once?

For ten months of every year I get told by every toothless simpleton that we'll be playing each other next season, and then the fixtures are released and they've missed off the local derby. 

I know they partially-corrected it last season with that cup game/training session, but a half-hearted warm-up match against what I assume was their Walking Football XI, isn't a proper game.  

Sort it out EFL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/08/2020 at 13:45, OldNick said:

‘We need to get this right for the start. We feel our plans for the stadium will bring a huge amount of opportunity for residents in the local area - and we feel there should be some contribution towards that. It shouldn’t all be at our cost.’

So they want to improve their property and increase their income but want others to help pay for it. Odd its as though they have done this before

what the fuck is that twat talking about? How does someone living near the ground benefit? More fans, more traffic, more cars...

how on earth does he conclude that redevelopment will "kick start the local economy". Even if he is referring to the new infrastructure required before they are permitted to expand the capacity, a new walk bridge and longer platforms will do the square route of fuck all for the local economy.  The local council is brassik. Network Rail have about a million other projects more pressing than this one. How do either benefit from spending money here? 

It will be interesting to see if they proceed here with the Milton end `redevelopment'. They have planning permission for that, but as it adds no real increase in capacity and is basically just a cost, there seems little point. Catlin seems to be suggesting that they wont do that first phase until PCC and NR agree to pay for the infrastructure work that they need to start implementing development phases that increase capacity.

Edited by Chez

I thought this comment received during the planning permission was interesting:

My name is Andrew Smith. By way of background, I should explain that I have been a season ticket holder at Fratton Park for 40 years, was a member of the Portsmouth Supporters Trust's Stadium Working Party that produced two reports on the club's stadium options and was, for a number of years, Chairman of Chichester District's Planning Committee. 

My objection is two fold. Firstly on aesthetic grounds and secondly on the failure to demonstrate compliance with design guidance for football stadiums.

Aesthetics
The application seeks to justify the design on the basis that it complements the Frogmore Road entrance and South Stand designed by Archibald Leitch. The approach to Fratton Park from Frogmore Road is an iconic view in English football. But to imitate design elements in a mash up of mock Tudor and classic Leitch ironwork far from being sympathetic detracts from the original structures. When Arsenal FC redeveloped the North Bank at Highbury in the 1990s it didn't commission a mock Art Deco design to match the East and West stands built in the 1930s; it commissioned a contemporary design.

Whilst the existing Milton End has no redeeming features, is not within a Conservation Area and not within the setting of a Listed Building, poor quality design should not be tolerated; indeed the thrust of government advice on design for a while has been to encourage higher standards. The iron work shown on the eastern elevation is not an accurate reflection of the Leitch south stand balcony that it's supposed to reflect.

Compliance with design standards for football stadiums
The "Green Guide" as well as design guides issued by UEFA and FIFA specify that spectators should enjoy an uninterrupted view of the pitch. The proposed design retains the columns supporting the roof at the front of the stand. The design and access statement makes numerous references to a C value of 60. This is the absolute minimum allowed. The recommended value of C is 90. The design and access guide fails to state other values in the equation that determines the rake of the seating to give each spectator good site lines. I guess the value of T is 700 - the minimum allowed in the Green Guide.

The concourse area is open to the elements. This may be suitable for a cricket ground but inappropriate for a winter sports ground.

50 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

For ten months of every year I get told by every toothless simpleton that we'll be playing each other next season, and then the fixtures are released and they've missed off the local derby. 

I know they partially-corrected it last season with that cup game/training session, but a half-hearted warm-up match against what I assume was their Walking Football XI, isn't a proper game.  

Sort it out EFL!

Me too, been searching everywhere for the Southampton v Portsmouth fixtures, which I was reliably told, no promised, I think about last November would be taking place this season. 

Then I remembered Saints aren’t in the Championship, and neither are Pompey, silly me.......😂

1 hour ago, Chez said:

what the fuck is that twat talking about? How does someone living near the ground benefit? More fans, more traffic, more cars...

how on earth does he conclude that redevelopment will "kick start the local economy". Even if he is referring to the new infrastructure required before they are permitted to expand the capacity, a new walk bridge and longer platforms will do the square route of fuck all for the local economy.  The local council is brassik. Network Rail have about a million other projects more pressing than this one. How do either benefit from spending money here? 

It will be interesting to see if they proceed here with the Milton end `redevelopment'. They have planning permission for that, but as it adds no real increase in capacity and is basically just a cost, there seems little point. Catlin seems to be suggesting that they wont do that first phase until PCC and NR agree to pay for the infrastructure work that they need to start implementing development phases that increase capacity.

Doesn't cost anything to promise the moon but say that you're being held back by those nasty people at the council and Network Rail.

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Sort it out EFL!

Well, I beleive the problem was that 

We weren't going down,

They weren't going up,

We weren't going down,

They weren't going up,

We weren't going down,

They weren't going up,

Edited by Ohio Saint

On 21/08/2020 at 13:43, Chez said:

how on earth does he conclude that redevelopment will "kick start the local economy".

They already generate over £3m for the local economy each and every home game, how much more 'kick starting' does it need - unless they lied to the courts...

On 21/08/2020 at 15:24, Chez said:

I thought this comment received during the planning permission was interesting:

Aesthetics
The application seeks to justify the design on the basis that it complements the Frogmore Road entrance and South Stand designed by Archibald Leitch. The approach to Fratton Park from Frogmore Road is an iconic view in English football. But to imitate design elements in a mash up of mock Tudor and classic Leitch ironwork far from being sympathetic detracts from the original structures. When Arsenal FC redeveloped the North Bank at Highbury in the 1990s it didn't commission a mock Art Deco design to match the East and West stands built in the 1930s; it commissioned a contemporary design.

I have to agree with this bloke. The mock wattle and daub design for the new Milton End is absolutely toe-curling.

11 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Westwood allegedly creating a stink at Totton. Wonder if one of the Pompey Bandstand was his designated driver?

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/forum/262040/john-pfc-westwood-at-totton/#6

That can't be true as he "never puts money into scum". Maybe he watched from the road on a pile of pallets?

Edited by alehouseboys

They really are a joke club - the hubris of planning to be a global force when you can't get past Stevenage in the cup, and won't pay to fix the dilapidated shithole ground until the Council forks out to accommodate the thousands and thousands of extra punters who will inevitably flock to such stirring displays. :mcinnes:

4 hours ago, Danbert said:

They really are a joke club - the hubris of planning to be a global force when you can't get past Stevenage in the cup, 

I don’t want to get all MLG on you but unfortunately they beat Stevenage on penalties, not relevant I know , still a joke club though !

Did I see that the former treasurer of the supporters' trust has been done for personal tax evasion?

I was also amused to hear Catlin banging on at great length about his disgust at the potential idea that some rivals might attempt to gain a competitive advantage by offering wages that they can't afford under the new rules.

Selective memory.

9 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Did I see that the former treasurer of the supporters' trust has been done for personal tax evasion?

I was also amused to hear Catlin banging on at great length about his disgust at the potential idea that some rivals might attempt to gain a competitive advantage by offering wages that they can't afford under the new rules.

Selective memory.

rally's its all smoke n mirrors with Catlin. Disney has spent sweet f**k all on this club, and has told his lapdog we're getting noooo one, the patchwork quilt of a ground that we call home has been fixed up with money we had. infact i would say we are no better off than when the trust was pulling the strings, at least with the trust you could see money genarated was going on the beer tab, 

I was feeling nostalgic yesterday evening, as Saints prepare for another season in the Premier League while 'them lot' face more uncertainty and struggles in League One.

So I decided to go through the timeline of chaos and hilarity that was their Takeover Saga. I cam across the following website - http://www.chainrai.com/photos/

It is, as you would expect, gloriously tinpot and encapsulates everything about Pompey. Enjoy!

4 hours ago, edprice1984 said:

I was feeling nostalgic yesterday evening, as Saints prepare for another season in the Premier League while 'them lot' face more uncertainty and struggles in League One.

So I decided to go through the timeline of chaos and hilarity that was their Takeover Saga. I cam across the following website - http://www.chainrai.com/photos/

It is, as you would expect, gloriously tinpot and encapsulates everything about Pompey. Enjoy!

one photo missing, the one that has him being chased down the street,😎

On 11/09/2020 at 09:17, edprice1984 said:

The news section is great 😆

• Like 1

Some of their more intelligent fans are getting a little concerned re the no fans at matches. Apparently they are haemorrhaging over £700k a month at the moment. A problem for the so called ‘big’ teams in League 1, who have several high earners but virtually no income with which to pay them........

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit