Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

While you made a tidy profit on a handful of players, the number of players who you made a huge loss on far outweighs it.

Dave Nugent, signed for £6m in July 2007, given away for nothing four years later. £40k a week wages for three years of that contract (out on loan for most of one season, although I can't imagine Burnley were paying all of his wages) is another £6m. Signing-on fees, a "loyalty" payment due for completing the duration of the contract, image rights (listed on CVA as £350k) and agents fees take that to an overall cost of at least £13m.

John Utaka, signed for £7m, also in July 2007, apparently sold for €500k to Montpellier three and a half years later, on an eye-watering £80k a week. £14m in wages, £140k owed in image rights on the CVA document plus however much had already been paid on that basis beforehand. A £22m+ cost.

Michael Brown, signed on a free in August 2009, released on a free in 2011. Reported wages of £35k a week, had an auto-renew clause in his contract so he was dropped just before that kicked in. £3.6m + fees.

Tal Ben-Haim, also on a free in September 2009, still at the club draining £37k a week. Half a year on loan at West Ham. £5m + fees and rising.

Add many more...

Did he say they paid for Muntari ? They bloody didn't, the money owed to Udinese was still owed even after they'd flogged him onto Inter and was part of the original list of football creditors. In fact some of those parachute payments that Pompey weren't allowed to have probably paid it off.

Hans, Markus' dad founded the company in 1948. I doubt there was much Nazi gold in building bridges in the Wermacht.

Hans Liebherr grew up in Kirchdorf, a small southern German town on the Iller river. At the time he lost his father in World War I, Liebherr was only two years old. At age 13, he started an apprenticeship in his stepfather's small construction business. During World War II, Liebherr served in the engineering corps of the German army, specifically in a unit that built bridges for the German troops in Russia. There he gained valuable insights into common challenges connected with construction projects.

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/LiebherrInternational-AG-Company-History.html

Why don't you just point out to him that Milan Mandaric was born in Croatia before the war (no doubt of catholic extraction) where the inhabitants were so murderous and violently sadistically brutal, even hard-line Nazi's called them "animals".

Just when you think they couldnt get any more desperate...........:lol:, that should sell another 5 or 6 tickets

How many times do you think they had to re-edit that poster to remove players in the past couple of weeks ?

Oh dear...

@pn_neil_allen: If anybody needed reminding about the fight #Pompey face to stay up....... Courtesy of the brilliance of @Mikey_Pompey http://t.co/GwLWCEH7

56a77af7-b396-89d0.jpg

Seriously?

They've made a poster showing everyone running AWAY from FP as fast as they can.

I'm guessing that's supposed to be Marcus driving the tank.....

despite the misplaced humour of everyone escaping from pompey as soon as they can, and the fact that their 2012 calendar must be royally fecked, all three months of it - that's the worst bit of photoshopping since we saw a Lancaster on the moon - Appy looks like he's got less neck than Gladstone Small.

As for any Liebherr family ancient history - it's a bit rich peddling that myth!

One of the pompey owners was still involved in a war while he was sat in the director's box, lapping up the applause from the deluded - in fact he was simultaneously sponsoring warcrimes, and the club.

When he found he couldn't afford to kill children and buy footballers, he opted with the one that gave him a return - the one that he wasn't ashamed to admit to.

Arms Dealing 1-0 pompey.

As for fancy dress Fail to Pack the Park IV - is it go dressed as a cross-eyed pikey who spouts sh!t and wonders why no one else cares night?

Again.

Oh dear...

@pn_neil_allen: If anybody needed reminding about the fight #Pompey face to stay up....... Courtesy of the brilliance of @Mikey_Pompey http://t.co/GwLWCEH7

56a77af7-b396-89d0.jpg

As I remember it the great escape only ended well for about 3 people who actually managed to get to safety. How many have left on loans recently?

It's the crux of it from a fans point of view. I actually get what they are saying, it's just that it shouldn't matter. It's quite amazing that those same fans have disappeared now, in the clubs time of need. They're actually giving tickets away and they still can't fill the park. But even if they did fill it, and everyone of them was paying full price, why the hell should that make a difference? You can plead the fans innocence to everybody but not the club's. When the Prime Minister said what he said in that he would do all that he can to help was, quite frankly, disgusting, even if it was just propaganda.

The entity known as Portsmouth Football club has committed the crimes and must pay. I actually find it somewhat ironic that when we play them in a few weeks it will be them in the midst of rebuilding. We were a little further along, granted, when we lost the FA Cup match, but it didn't stop my Pompey mates gloating about the win (and it won't stop me either, if we do the same to them on the 7th). Football has a way of balancing its football crimes out, maybe not in the way we want them, but in its own, strange way. If we beat them by more than 4-1, they get relegated and another points deduction, and rebuild within their means, then punishment served in my book. But that's a personal opinion.

The millions not paid to others is another consideration. It's something that needs addressing in football full stop. Yes, Pompey have taken the absolute **** in this regard, but there are laws to punish them. They just haven't been enforced (trading whilst insolvent?). The whole structure needs changing IMO. One of the reasons I find this thread so entertaining is the analysis that some of us have gone into to uncover the truth. And while we've all had a laugh at our neighbour's expense, some of the revelations have been truly shocking. Forget that it's Pompey for a moment and the very fact that what has happened there CAN happen, is absolutely frightening. I'm talking about gunrunners, debentures, taking a football club because somebody defaulted on a payment, increasing debt to get the vote on a CVA, setting a wage limit and having it laughed at, setting transfer embargos and then watching players arriving, a person who doesn't even exist being able to own a club...these things (and yes, there are many more I know) are frightening. Imagine, just imagine, if this was Saints. How can something like this be allowed to transpire, and not only transpire, but go on and on? And there is nothing the fans can do about it.

So I do have sympathy for the fans, most of them anyway, but more for those that are directly impacted. The taxpayer, charities, non-football employees, local businesses, even foreign clubs that are still owed money. I have sympathy for the Championship clubs, as its made it a mockery, iourselves included. Teams playing them now will have an easier task than they would have had than playing them earlier in the season. It's no wonder West Ham, Cardiff, Brum and Reading are paying them the loan fees. They need those points. They are protecting their investment. Anybody who could, would do the same. Strange how Forest and Doncaster haven't been in though.

But the flip side to that is why should those clubs who have made those purchases feel it necessary to do it? The very fact that they are panic buying to protect points and keep Pompey in existence is the exact mockery I'm talking about. If the FL had acted sooner, or more decisively, Pompey may already be gone and those purchases would not have had to be made, plunging further clubs (West Ham, Cardiff, Birmingham) into spending money they themselves probably can't afford.

What I don't have sympathy for is the club itself. It may not get everything it deserves, but hopefully it will bring about change. Probably not, but we can but hope. And for the record, if we do go up this season, and Cortese does splash the cash, I hope to god we can afford it. If we start signing people like Defoe on 60k a week, I would hope we start to ask questions. But other than that, there wouldn't be a lot we could do. Financial Fair Play can't come quickly enough, if you ask me.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. How can what happen down the road be stopped from happening again? The argument for only 50-60% of revenue to be spent on wages may work but there are so many variables that need to be taken into account. it's not just wages, it's the owners, the way grounds can be used as security, the way you can sell a player even though you haven't actually finished paying for him, the way foreign clubs are treated differently, the toothless rules and punishment...any ideas? Perhaps needs a thread of its own.

Lots of very distasteful twists & turns there, but all IMHO consequences of a single root cause. Players obscene wages.

No club should have to gamble it's future, and it's past, just to sign a player or two just to put up a fight for survival or a push for the play-offs. It's a disease, a cancer that's slowly killing football, not just the skates.

Portsmouth - proof that Darwin wasn't completely correct !

He was, if you consider it in conjunction with, I think Newton, who reminded us that every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

If half of Hampshire progresses, develops and flourishes, then it stands to reason that............

Someone needs to update that and post it every time one of the players goes out on loan by putting a big red cross through their name...
who's the one in the top corner with the eye patch?Do you get an eye patch free each time you go to FP and the incentive is if you go to 2 games you get one for each eye.

Is it also a bit ironic that there is Parachute money dropping in to save them? It is a bit inaccurate as there seems to be a lack of brown envelopes as well.

who's the one in the top corner with the eye patch?Do you get an eye patch free each time you go to FP and the incentive is if you go to 2 games you get one for each eye.

Is it also a bit ironic that there is Parachute money dropping in to save them? It is a bit inaccurate as there seems to be a lack of brown envelopes as well.

The parachute on the right is obviously parachute money dropping in, but the one on the left? Can't make out the symbol but looks more like the West Brom badge so it's likely to be another loan player being dropped in! Let's hope they all find enough squirrels to eat.

Reading an article from a Pompey fan making disparaging comments about a so called 'Fund raising' game when we were in admin

My recollection on this is rather hazy but wasn't the idea drummed up by a supporter rather than the club and was actually put on hold as the Liebherr take over wason the cards?

Separately how many turned up to 'Pack the Park' when Kanu had his testimonial after the Cup 'Triumph'?

That question turns my mind back to that glorious Monday night in 1976 when the Dell was rammed for Mick Channon's testimonial How no one was injured in the crush on the terraces that night is beyond me. Fortunately I was sat at the back of the West Stand. A group of QPR reserve team players were sat nearby and they couldnt believe the atmosphere

The parachute on the right is obviously parachute money dropping in, but the one on the left? Can't make out the symbol but looks more like the West Brom badge so it's likely to be another loan player being dropped in! Let's hope they all find enough squirrels to eat.

Correct its a WBA crest.

Appleton saying on Saints Player that he dropped Sh*tson because of crowd reaction to him in the last match...they can't even get behind the phew they've got left!!

This occurred to me as well - but we're hardly in a position to laugh, the grief Jermaine Wright used to get (some deserved) was incredible.

This occurred to me as well - but we're hardly in a position to laugh, the grief Jermaine Wright used to get (some deserved) was incredible.

Giving a player some grief when he f*cks up a pass is a bit different to abusing someone so bad that their manager leaves them out the squad.

Giving a player some grief when he f*cks up a pass is a bit different to abusing someone so bad that their manager leaves them out the squad.

Wright didn't even have to be playing to get grief. It was on a big level. As for leaving him out, I think Appleton has bottled it. Ferguson did it once with Rooney and it was the wrong decision then too.

Wright didn't even have to be playing to get grief. It was on a big level. As for leaving him out, I think Appleton has bottled it. Ferguson did it once with Rooney and it was the wrong decision then too.

I don't think Wright's abuse was that bad, think you're confusing Saintswebforum with the real world.

Agree about Appleton's decision, I was gobsmacked when I heard his explanation on the radio - he even said Kitson was happy with the decision!

Should have just made up an injury.