Gasmi has signed on loan

Clunge

The way I see it we have:

Midfield lynchpin - Schneiderlin / Wotton

Scurrying terrier - Gillett

Wide right - White / Thomson / Dyer

Wide left - Holmes /Mills / Surman

In the hole - Lallana / McGoldrick

I'm not sure where to put Pulis and Gasmi. Terriers or in the hole? I'm assuming Skacel and Euell are off.

Mid-field in short supply?

James, Surman, Lallana, McGoldrick, Thomson, Wotton, Holmes, White, Cork, Gobern, McGlaggon, Spiderman, Gillet, Dyer, Pulis, Mills, Skacel, Euell,BWP and acouple of youngsters not quite ready yet. Not forgetting Gasmi...

Accepted that one or two play several positions. But I think we need to move a few today or wages could be a problem.

Notice the OS is making much of the fact that he's grown up with Spiderman.

Hope that doesn't make Gasmi this year's Imants Bleidelis or (insert name of rubbish player who came from Equador with Delgado).

Oh I see, the new Zidane (short version). That's alright then.

C'mon Romain.

I grew up with Dan Dare, what has reading comic books got to do with anything :)

If this is an error in the name, was it made by JP, or by the OS writer, or the editor? We should demand to be told.

Papin is an interesting subject, famous for a sort of falling bicycle kick (usually extremely well executed and took a lot of keepers by surprise) commonly known as a "papinade".For those of you not familiar with the man, this is what a striker looks like.Vicious and deadly, would be worth 100 million quid at today's rates;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1osfs_jeanpierre-papin-om_sport

So was Delgado...

Indeed.

I am pleased to see Gasmi arrive, if he recovers quickly and offers us some much need attacking prowess (which we so clearly lack – we can’t even spearhead attacks or have a striker to get in the area for crosses) then this is a good thing but am I not right in being extremely concerned over this injured player transfer policy?!

Ok, we have NOT signed the player on a permanent and his recovery is, reportedly, being funded by Strasburg. Fair enough. But it seems crazy to sign injured players. I thought Pullis was bad enough – a poor quality player no-one wanted, plus he’s injured. Ridiculous. I judge on face value but I have to listen to what I am told from fans who supported the teams Pullis played for as they were only giving their honest opinion which wasn’t glowing in praise. I am curious as to who is making these stupid decisions?! Surely we are broke and can’t afford to waste the wage bill so every decision is key. Right now – I’m not seeing too many wise decisions.

I don’t want to turn this thread into more, incessant, Chairmen or Board bashing but, ultimately, they are responsible for our club and, after the ridiculous Delgado affair, do this club ever bloody learn? It seems arrogance is again in abundance as the board do NOT seem to listen or ever learn. Look at last season – we had no defensive cover, were nearly relegated and this season….same situation. I am not being negative or doom mongering – I am stating clear and obvious concerns based on cold, hard fact. I don’t want to hear the worn out “bank manager making decisions” line as he, clearly, is not running the entire club and someone is making these football decisions. You don’t need to be Hercule Poirot to work out who!! It certainly isn’t Poortvliet, judging by his bewildered press statements and total lack of insight into our players and transfer movements. Maybe it’s even Wilde – who knows?! Whoever, he needs shooting. I find this trend extremely worrying as a manager should decide and pick his team, know their strengths and weakness and what he needs to do to address obvious weaknesses and strengthening vital positions. Right now, I’m not seeing a lot of sense (bar Cork who we have until January).

We need full backs. End of story. We have done since day one. Burley was an idiot. Jan, I feel, is not (but he doesn’t have any power or influence with our board. - i.e. he IS, as many predicted, a man with a very tough job and purely a yes man from my observations). I am glad we have loaned in Cork (I would have liked to have seen him play Saturday but that’s the manager’s choice). I feel the kids draughted in to play defence aren’t up to it. Surman has proved, in each game, he is certainly not a full back and leaves us stupidly exposed time and time again. Who else agrees? He needs to be replaced and we need to find a suitable left back. Surman is slow, attacking minding, NOT defensive minded AT ALL and I have seen him frequently get caught, he doesn’t track players back and doesn’t have the reading of the game (Defensively) to mark wingers or forwards and this was exploited massively second half against Brum. Blackpool too to some extent. His slow defensive reactions and lack of pace leave our centre backs dangerously exposed, and he’s not a natural tackler/ball winner. If we signed one or two positions, these are the most critical. FULL BACKS. There is still time but I don’t hold hope or it would have been done by now. Anyone with half a football brain would know and address this glaringly obvious issue from the onset (and I fathom to understand why we have not). It’s suicide. No plainer language than that.

After Saturday’s pitiful effort and watching Birmingham previously, it seems abundantly clear to me (as my previous concerns strongly stated – we desperately need full backs). I agree, we also need a forward as we lack fire power, totally (Gasmi is an attacking midfielder, good competition for Lallana imho, if fit and peforming). Playing one up front is a mistake imho (I’d play John with Mc G running off him) but that’s another issue.

I was dubious coming into the long, arduous CCC season with our heavy reliance on children (I didn’t expect it to be 99.5% kids) but I thought I would reserve judgement until it had started. It has started, and we are showing glaringly obvious frailties. I love our youthful determination and slick passing (when we do), compared with the lack lustre, pitiful displays from the aging pros last season (happy to pick up a pay cheque, minimal effort). However, We are seemingly too easily muscled off the ball and seem to lack a plan b.

Jan doesn’t have time to learn – the season is upon us. We need older heads to settle the youngsters and offer support and assistance and much needed steel and experience. I thought we would use the loan system to address this obvious problem and bring in experience (Vignal for example) but it seems the management (notice I’ve avoided using Lowe’s name for a change) have other plans and have ENTIRELY relied on the kids which, I feel, may be too much pressure for young, inexperienced football brains (booing on Saturday was harsh and stupid – fans take note. We are not Cardiff [who also booed Jones]) Time will tell. Let’s hope I am wrong. I loved some of the passing movement in the earlier games but we need fire power and we need full backs. I hope we address the problem as it’s a long season. Am I right in thinking we have a few more weeks to secure domestic loans?! (It’s just the foreign loans that cease along with permanent transfers at midnight)

Come on Saints – address the weaknesses. If we can afford Gasmi, I am sure we can afford a full back (and I pray we offload that moody, belligerent f*cker with an attitude problem – Skacel) I’d be shot of Euell and BWP too but no-one, except possibly Luggy, wants them. Speaks volumes to me. Another Burley Blunder. His dreadful enigma will haunt us for longer yet. Don’t waste our wage bill on players we don’t need or don’t cut the mustard. If Surman takes a knock (not that he should be played in LB), what cover have we got? You know our injury record and fondness for physios to keep players out for ages. Mental.

Good luck with the injured new boys and I hope they recover quickly. PLEASE, someone, bring in a half decent left back and stop playing Surman there.

Woah. Gasmi has a broken foot which will heal in four weeks or so, not a wooden leg.

If we had needed to sign Schneiderlin but he was injured for four weeks nobody would have minded. If Berbatov breaks his metartarsal tonight, Man City and United would still want him. Injuries happen, if every player to get an injury was "injury prone" then this would apply to every single Premiership footballer.

IMO muscle strains ie hamstring, groin etc indiate more injury prone players ie Owen, Woodgate, Kewell.

Chill out! Saints fans really are a depressing bunch at times.

Edited by Saint Charlie

With a couple of good fullbacks on Saturday we would have probably got all 3 points.

Hmm, in the same way as if one of our shots had gone in??

If the player had played on Saturday as they played:

in the first half against Birmingham in the league

against Derby in the league

against Bimingham in the Carling Cup

we would have won. They didn't, we didn't.

Not convinced that full-backs would have been the tipping point.

Indeed.

I am pleased to see Gasmi arrive, if he recovers quickly and offers us some much need attacking prowess (which we so clearly lack – we can’t even spearhead attacks or have a striker to get in the area for crosses) then this is a good thing but am I not right in being extremely concerned over this injured player transfer policy?!

Ok, we have NOT signed the player on a permanent and his recovery is, reportedly, being funded by Strasburg. Fair enough. But it seems crazy to sign injured players. I thought Pullis was bad enough – a poor quality player no-one wanted, plus he’s injured. Ridiculous. I judge on face value but I have to listen to what I am told from fans who supported the teams Pullis played for as they were only giving their honest opinion which wasn’t glowing in praise. I am curious as to who is making these stupid decisions?! Surely we are broke and can’t afford to waste the wage bill so every decision is key. Right now – I’m not seeing too many wise decisions.

I don’t want to turn this thread into more, incessant, Chairmen or Board bashing but, ultimately, they are responsible for our club and, after the ridiculous Delgado affair, do this club ever bloody learn? It seems arrogance is again in abundance as the board do NOT seem to listen or ever learn. Look at last season – we had no defensive cover, were nearly relegated and this season….same situation. I am not being negative or doom mongering – I am stating clear and obvious concerns based on cold, hard fact. I don’t want to hear the worn out “bank manager making decisions” line as he, clearly, is not running the entire club and someone is making these football decisions. You don’t need to be Hercule Poirot to work out who!! It certainly isn’t Poortvliet, judging by his bewildered press statements and total lack of insight into our players and transfer movements. Maybe it’s even Wilde – who knows?! Whoever, he needs shooting. I find this trend extremely worrying as a manager should decide and pick his team, know their strengths and weakness and what he needs to do to address obvious weaknesses and strengthening vital positions. Right now, I’m not seeing a lot of sense (bar Cork who we have until January).

We need full backs. End of story. We have done since day one. Burley was an idiot. Jan, I feel, is not (but he doesn’t have any power or influence with our board. - i.e. he IS, as many predicted, a man with a very tough job and purely a yes man from my observations). I am glad we have loaned in Cork (I would have liked to have seen him play Saturday but that’s the manager’s choice). I feel the kids draughted in to play defence aren’t up to it. Surman has proved, in each game, he is certainly not a full back and leaves us stupidly exposed time and time again. Who else agrees? He needs to be replaced and we need to find a suitable left back. Surman is slow, attacking minding, NOT defensive minded AT ALL and I have seen him frequently get caught, he doesn’t track players back and doesn’t have the reading of the game (Defensively) to mark wingers or forwards and this was exploited massively second half against Brum. Blackpool too to some extent. His slow defensive reactions and lack of pace leave our centre backs dangerously exposed, and he’s not a natural tackler/ball winner. If we signed one or two positions, these are the most critical. FULL BACKS. There is still time but I don’t hold hope or it would have been done by now. Anyone with half a football brain would know and address this glaringly obvious issue from the onset (and I fathom to understand why we have not). It’s suicide. No plainer language than that.

After Saturday’s pitiful effort and watching Birmingham previously, it seems abundantly clear to me (as my previous concerns strongly stated – we desperately need full backs). I agree, we also need a forward as we lack fire power, totally (Gasmi is an attacking midfielder, good competition for Lallana imho, if fit and peforming). Playing one up front is a mistake imho (I’d play John with Mc G running off him) but that’s another issue.

I was dubious coming into the long, arduous CCC season with our heavy reliance on children (I didn’t expect it to be 99.5% kids) but I thought I would reserve judgement until it had started. It has started, and we are showing glaringly obvious frailties. I love our youthful determination and slick passing (when we do), compared with the lack lustre, pitiful displays from the aging pros last season (happy to pick up a pay cheque, minimal effort). However, We are seemingly too easily muscled off the ball and seem to lack a plan b.

Jan doesn’t have time to learn – the season is upon us. We need older heads to settle the youngsters and offer support and assistance and much needed steel and experience. I thought we would use the loan system to address this obvious problem and bring in experience (Vignal for example) but it seems the management (notice I’ve avoided using Lowe’s name for a change) have other plans and have ENTIRELY relied on the kids which, I feel, may be too much pressure for young, inexperienced football brains (booing on Saturday was harsh and stupid – fans take note. We are not Cardiff [who also booed Jones]) Time will tell. Let’s hope I am wrong. I loved some of the passing movement in the earlier games but we need fire power and we need full backs. I hope we address the problem as it’s a long season. Am I right in thinking we have a few more weeks to secure domestic loans?! (It’s just the foreign loans that cease along with permanent transfers at midnight)

Come on Saints – address the weaknesses. If we can afford Gasmi, I am sure we can afford a full back (and I pray we offload that moody, belligerent f*cker with an attitude problem – Skacel) I’d be shot of Euell and BWP too but no-one, except possibly Luggy, wants them. Speaks volumes to me. Another Burley Blunder. His dreadful enigma will haunt us for longer yet. Don’t waste our wage bill on players we don’t need or don’t cut the mustard. If Surman takes a knock (not that he should be played in LB), what cover have we got? You know our injury record and fondness for physios to keep players out for ages. Mental.

Good luck with the injured new boys and I hope they recover quickly. PLEASE, someone, bring in a half decent left back and stop playing Surman there.

your not a happy bunny, i take it!

I'm losing it here.. you mean for Heather Mills?

sorry Sue,

Tongue in cheek re xmas present, when Pulis and Gisme will be ready to take over tired legs. IE INJURIES AND MATCH FITNESS FOR THIS PAIR.

I would never be rude to Heather(or Sir Paul) as I know they both read this forum and I heard a rumour they are going to take the club over as an investment for their child. Not til Friday, so the rumour goes.

Indeed.

Dont we now have a 2 week rest? if so gamsi wont be missing for that many games. I for one was stumped with the signing of Pullis, he wasnt all that good and some of our younsters are better so i agree with you. I though will sell john, skacel, euell and bwp, and yes i said john. Unless im mistaken, i dont think we have scored a goal while he has been on the pitch with this new style of play this season and that includes the pre season (although i might of missed a few games) We have a great player in that spurs youngster and he will score goals for us and we might as well make all use out of him before he goes back. Also we should play Cork, he was great against brum last tuesday. There is no point having these top youngsters on loan if we dont use them, let them play! A top left full back would be ideal, but i cant see where we could possibly get some money from unless we sell surman which i dont want to see.

Indeed.

I am pleased to see Gasmi arrive............... but am I not right in being extremely concerned over this injured player transfer policy............ it seems crazy to sign injured players. ............................I thought Pullis was bad enough – a poor quality player no-one wanted, plus he’s injured. Ridiculous. I judge on face value but I have to listen to what I am told from fans who supported the teams Pullis played for........................I don’t want to turn this thread into more, incessant, Chairmen or Board bashing but......arrogance..... the board do NOT seem to listen or ever learn............

I feel the kids draughted in to play defence aren’t up to it......... heavy reliance on children (I didn’t expect it to be 99.5% kids) .................... PLEASE, someone, bring in a half decent left back and stop playing Surman there.

The full quote has been repeated a couple of times, so just highlights for me. Like Gordon, I'm a qualified football fan, and we all tend to know more about how to run a football team than the people who occupy the official positions. However, I would just say that I thought this particular assessment contained a few contradictions.

I would just mention on the children issue, that footballers in their early 20's might be a little offended by that description and I thought we had two over 30-year olds in the defence.

I have also called for specialist FBs but for some reason Poortvleit has ignored my advice. However, I have to admit that despite Surman only having played at FB for about 6-months, he did manage to keep Blackpool out on that side - and that the penalty from which they scored was given away on the right side of the defence, where there was, Yes, a child - but JP did bring then on older heads. Let's hope he can continue to learn.

Meh. Players should be able to do that. Especially with what they're paid these days.

It's like all this fuss about Alonso or Beckham scoring from their own half - there was NO keeper and they were never under any pressure. Players should be able to hit the target from the middle of the pitch.

Strasbourg will continue to finance his recovery and he will join his new teammates at St Mary's after that.

Sounds like a smart bit of business to me. Very highly rated a couple of years ago but lost his way a bit recently, Strasborurg paying his way until he's fit, loan with an option to buy if it all works out.

Sounds like a smart bit of business to me. Very highly rated a couple of years ago but lost his way a bit recently, Strasborurg paying his way until he's fit, loan with an option to buy if it all works out.

Where is the evidence that Strasbourg are paying Gasmi's wages until he recovers?

Where is the evidence that Strasbourg are paying Gasmi's wages until he recovers?

If you look through the forum thread that I posted for you yesterday you will see it says 'Gasmi's loan will become effective at the end of September when he has recovered from his recent metarsal operation" It could well be that neither

RCS or the Saints are paying Gasmi just now. The "secu" and the "mutuelles" (health insurance) work in strange ways in France, when you're sick ,you get sick pay whether you're a floor sweeper or a formula 1 driver,it's very complex.

no poor overpaid underperforming ones

The injuries that Pulis and Gasmi have are not 4 week recovery period as suggested but closer to 2-3 months when you take into account rehab and then some reserve games.

First team match fitness December meaning Xmas. But then again will they be good enough for the first team? Over to JP, hopefully.

Until the first team coach observes their first games of football he will not be able to decide unless directed otherwise.

I really do hope they get fit sooner than later but before you start, I really do hope The Director of football has chosen well. To be fair he gets about 1 in 10 right which is not bad for a non football man.

JP as a football man if left to his own football decisions would, I suggest would really begin to earn his money.

So Nick both Pulis and Gasmi come into your categorising as overpaid underperforming ones as you suggest re others. That is until they prove otherwise. Have we got the money or time?

Sums it up nicely for me too. Minimal, if not zero, risk and potentially stand to gain a good player out of it if he can prove himself. Can't personally see any reason to criticise this deal at all at this stage, and struggle to see how others can based on the above.