Attendance Vs Blackpool 5th lowest in the league

trousers

Because Leicester are a club that many will feel are similar to Saints in terms of stature.

They have just been relegated to the 3rd tier for the first time ever, yet get bigger crowds than us.

Surely, they have a reason to be more depressed than us.

Surely the fans are expecting a bounce straight back to the fizzy pop league, I should imagine that would have an effect on their crowds. If the wheels fall off watch the crowds decrease.

muat have.....going on what people harp on about on here...we were some sort of footballing mega giant when in the prem...as clubs our size NEVER go down once in every 30 years or so...:rolleyes:

Our 27 continuous years in the top flight of football was amazing considering the size of our club and until some fans realise we have no devine right to be in the premiership they will always find blame for our demise instead of realising we are at our level.

The thread was about the attendance. I wouldn't begrudge the expenditure even though I could have watched the match for free and saved £72 had the game been a real entertainment. Regrettably, the match wasn't very good entertainment and although I will continue to attend home games, I can well understand others deciding not to the next time when the match is televised, unless in the interim we improve again, or prices are set at a more reasonable level.

Actually Wes, I have to disagree, it was actually very good entertainment, although sadly from our biased pov much of the entertainment came from the opposition. As a long time supporter I have never gone to games to be entertained, I have gone to games to see us win. If we win playing pretty football I will enjoy it slightly more, but the bottom line is that winning is pretty much everything at home. One of the main reasons crowds at SMS are dropping off is because over the last couple of seasons we have forgotten how to win at home. It is actually much more entertaining to go to away games these days. I used to really not care if we lost away, as long as we won at home. I could go to nearly every home game in a season and see my team beat most of the best teams in the country (or even the best teams in Division Two last time we were at this level). It felt good, and so I went more. I get depressed enough knowing we have lost at home, if I've gone to the game as well, I might as well stick the Leonard Cohen album on :)

Crowds will start to come back not when the team starts playing attractive football but when the team starts playing well enough at home to win or at least draw most of the time. The sooner the people that run this Club understand that the better.

Our 27 continuous years in the top flight of football was amazing considering the size of our club and until some fans realise we have no devine right to be in the premiership they will always find blame for our demise instead of realising we are at our level.

I would not say we are at out level...I think the very fact we DID spend that amount of time in the top flight in one hit gives us the right to think we belong there..

what amuses me is the fact that fans FAIL to see that clubs our size will go down..clubs bigger than us will go down and down further (forest and leeds)...but should that stop us wanting to get back to what we are all used to....NO...

the way many are going about it, the blame, the boycotts, the crusades, the slagging off fans etc...is all (now) rather amusing..

The pricing structure we have is bound to mean games against rubbish teams like Blackpool get small attendances. If you have a spare £28 you are bound to choose to buy a ticket for Birmingham over Blackpool. £28 to see what is basically last years reserves play against a bunch of nobodys from up north is a rip off IMO.

What I want to know is where were "Lowe's Army". The 10,000 body of men who Scooby told us would flood back to SMS.

Or maybe everyone there was part of that army and it was they who booed?

Scooby, Sundance et al. No clue whatsoever - when many like me said no to Lowe it was not accepted or believed. Accept the consequences - Lowe equals a drop in support of at least 20%.

And after viewing the farce of yesterday - whats changed? Now we have a teenagers making the same mistakes as the squad of last 2-3 years. Until the club is in different hands the club and its support will stagnate.

The pricing structure we have is bound to mean games against rubbish teams like Blackpool get small attendances. If you have a spare £28 you are bound to choose to buy a ticket for Birmingham over Blackpool. £28 to see what is basically last years reserves play against a bunch of nobodys from up north is a rip off IMO.

That's a bad argument I'm afraid.

we had a poor crowd against Birmingham also!

This match wasn't on TV, and Birmingham brought 1600 fans

The attendance figures were boosted as there were a load of kids in. Not sure if it was a kids for a quid or the local residents promotion. 15 - 16k was exactly what I expected, the number for Ipswich midweek might be lower depending upon how many Ipswich bring and the result against QPR.

Scooby, Sundance et al. No clue whatsoever - when many like me said no to Lowe it was not accepted or believed. Accept the consequences - Lowe equals a drop in support of at least 20%.

And after viewing the farce of yesterday - whats changed? Now we have a teenagers making the same mistakes as the squad of last 2-3 years. Until the club is in different hands the club and its support will stagnate.

there we have it folks...

someone asked why leicester have more fans through the gate...

answer, they are not as bitter and twisted...

we have rupert, they have mad milan who has over seen their lowest drop in football EVER with more managers in a space of time than lowe could shake a PLC stick at...

they go and support the team more so than our fans who just love to say "I told you so"....

pure comedy....

I have a st but haven't seen a ball kicked so far this season and have only heard parts from a couple of game's on the radio. Work at the mo is all consuming where my time is concerned.

The off field escapades of the last five years have fair worn me out, also I have seen the quality of an entertaining day out decline in leaps and bounds as a result of action's taken by people whom claim to understand the position (on and off field) they hold in the eye's of the club/supporters.

My seat does not go empty. The fella I sit next to and I have been pressganging the even slightly inquisitive into filling it, in the hope they decide that they enjoy it and want to come with us again.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it, plus I'd rather go sea fishing if I could take a day off.

Of course when we regularly got 30k we never sold any players did we?

It's definitely a concern, but we will have to monitor the increase in the next few home games.

The next problem will be two home games in four days in September - Ipswich and Barnsley - of which many fans will only do one of these two, if they can even be arsed to do that!

The off field escapades of the last five years have fair worn me out, also I have seen the quality of an entertaining day out decline in leaps and bounds as a result of action's taken by people whom claim to understand the position (on and off field) they hold in the eye's of the club/supporters.
Have to agree with you. The off field events have played a major part in our demise. Like any successful company, even in the football industry, you need happy, committed customers and a quality product to enable the business to flourish. We have neither.

They will all come rushing back when a big game comes like Sheffield Utd last season and Southend the season before that. That makes this all the more sad.

Of that, I have severe doubts.

Like it or not, and I don't like it as it's having an impact on me as some of my mates aren't going, but the return of Lowe has impacted our gates in a negative way.

Sure the luvvies will say it's not the case and cite holidays, Sky etc but that's more to do with the just cannot bare to except that it's true.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong as it's individual choice but people shouldn't pretend that it's not happening.

Actually Wes, I have to disagree, it was actually very good entertainment, although sadly from our biased pov much of the entertainment came from the opposition. As a long time supporter I have never gone to games to be entertained, I have gone to games to see us win. If we win playing pretty football I will enjoy it slightly more, but the bottom line is that winning is pretty much everything at home. One of the main reasons crowds at SMS are dropping off is because over the last couple of seasons we have forgotten how to win at home. It is actually much more entertaining to go to away games these days. I used to really not care if we lost away, as long as we won at home. I could go to nearly every home game in a season and see my team beat most of the best teams in the country (or even the best teams in Division Two last time we were at this level). It felt good, and so I went more. I get depressed enough knowing we have lost at home, if I've gone to the game as well, I might as well stick the Leonard Cohen album on :)

Crowds will start to come back not when the team starts playing attractive football but when the team starts playing well enough at home to win or at least draw most of the time. The sooner the people that run this Club understand that the better.

Good read, unlike 90% of the crap posted on here of late (imho).

I took my grandson and it cost me nearly £40. There were loads of kids at the game and I was told that the club gave bundles of tickets away to clubs. Despite the game being on TV, I went to the game mainly to encourage young H to become a regular at SMS. The first 15 mins we enjoyed but we were lucky to lose 1-0. Def' pen and MS looked slow for most of the game. Shame, it was starting to look good. I hate to think what our next home crowd will be.

I agree

I really don't care how we win as long as we do, ok its a plus if we play like Brazil. Many fans have been reading write ups on how great our football is at the moment. But where are the fans?

If we were top of the league before yesterday game but on the whole playing crap football it would of been a bigger crowd thats for sure. Because many of the floating supporters just look at the result or what position we are in the league.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

1. The game was on TV

2. The cost is high for the irregular supporter

3. It was an unpopular kick-off time

4. It was the last weekend of the holidays, many supporters would have still been away or on their way home

5. It was against Blackpool

Significant?

Discuss.

Significant ! you bet your arse it is . Get your calculators out and do some very basic maths :

1 Guess what each adult fan spends at SMS per match on average (ticket + extras like drinks ...etc)

2 Multiply that number by 1000

3 Multiply that number again by 23 (the number of home League matches a season) .

4 The big number you're looking at represents the income lost to SFC for every 1000 spectator fall in match day attendance per season.

If we don't get the 'gate' back up to last seasons levels at least ( & pretty damn quick) this business will be in Administration . :(

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Of that, I have severe doubts.

Like it or not, and I don't like it as it's having an impact on me as some of my mates aren't going, but the return of Lowe has impacted our gates in a negative way.

Sure the luvvies will say it's not the case and cite holidays, Sky etc but that's more to do with the just cannot bare to except that it's true.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong as it's individual choice but people shouldn't pretend that it's not happening.

simpler than that mate - win and attendances go up, lose they go down. We have been doing badly for few years hence attendances drop.

People don't pay to watch the directors box.

When you consider Leicester's two home games in League 1 have produced crowds of 23k and 17k, a crowd of 15k is hugely disappointing.

I'd like the fans who haven't bothered this season to give explanations why!

I would not go if they gave out free tickets!

The real fans have gone in the last 10,000 exodus,all we have left now are the sheep who need to be told how to spend a Saturday afternoon without having to engage brain.

I would not p*ss on the fans who still go let alone sit next to them.

The real fans have gone in the last 10,000 exodus,all we have left now are the sheep who need to be told how to spend a Saturday afternoon without having to engage brain.

LOL. You're not a very good WUM are you?

When you consider Leicester's two home games in League 1 have produced crowds of 23k and 17k, a crowd of 15k is hugely disappointing.

I'd like the fans who haven't bothered this season to give explanations why!

18 now, time to grow up (and save money for gap year). I promise to get another ST once I retire....

do you know what?? we ain't a small club, that mentality incredulates me, 27 years in the top flight, mastic players, ball, channon, davies, moran, williams, le tiss, wallace, shearer, shilton, paine,osgood, why does everyone think our club is so small?? it ain't, sowampton is one of the biggest city's in the country, we were in the top league for years but gumbos on here still think we are a tiny little club. b*llox we are a proper club with a history that you

should you proud of.

Before pointing out that the game was televised, in the morning etc, bear in mind we got just under 19,000 for our opening home game of the season, a day that historically attracts large numbers (not to mention that this is a new regime and B'ham are a big side). Consider that last year we got over 25,000 for the first game against Palace and that numbers consistently fell off after that (often by 7000 to 8000). As such, we have to hope results attract people back; otherwise, attendances around 15,000 could be the norm and not the exception. Moreover, with the new seating arrangments, I find we get far less bang for our buck in terms of atmosphere. The Itchen end is a pale, pale shadow of what it used to be. I knew it would be hurt but not as badly as it has been...

Wow, you sound like a funny guy.

Send me a PM when you do go, I'd love to meet you for a beer

:mad:

And the W****r of the week award goes to...

Something I believe you will never achieve.

I think the crowd would have fitted in the Dell (at its final attendance level)?

Not quite, I don't think.

Attendance at the last game at the Dell was 15,252. Saturday was 15,629.

Close though, and I'd have thought it won't be long before we get an attendance that would fit in the Dell.

... or to watch a bunch of cheap understudies. What they want is the main act. It's like buying a ticket for a top rock group and finding the stage filled by a tribute band.

Remember watching a bloke called Moran, Shearer, Le Tissier??

We haven't had a main act since the 1984 team.

Was watching Saturday was worse than watching Jeff Kenna, Benali, Horne, Heaney, Dowie... ???

You don't know right now whether you're watching diamonds or coal.

Remember watching a bloke called Moran, Shearer, Le Tissier??

We haven't had a main act since the 1984 team.

Was watching Saturday was worse than watching Jeff Kenna, Benali, Horne, Heaney, Dowie... ???

You don't know right now whether you're watching diamonds or coal.

But that is my point. We are charging top prices for a second-string act. Watching last Saturday was worse than any of the games that I saw at SMS last season and, before you ask, I only missed two: Bristol City and WBA.

But that is my point. We are charging top prices for a second-string act. Watching last Saturday was worse than any of the games that I saw at SMS last season and, before you ask, I only missed two: Bristol City and WBA.
Utter tosh mate, last season was painfull, it was so bad I left one ganme at half time and we were winning.

You missed 3.

Because if you thought Saturday was worse than Palace at home (1-4), you need your head examined - no offence - or are exaggerating for effect.

Saturday was the kind of dross we have served up for two decades on and off.

The difference is THIS time it's our home-grown kids still learning their trade.

Look inside yourself and tell me your mood has nothing to do with the inclement conditions and the many false dawns this club has experienced??

Vesting that in these kids is hardly their fault is it??

We were poor on Saturday. The previous home game we had shown flashes of exceptional football.

That's how it goes with kids.

Its simple, 12:45 KO, worst tme to KO not enough time to do anything before the game and not enough time to do anything else after. Loads of fans would have stayed away for this simple reason, add the cost and that fact that they could watch it on sky, do the gardening or a bit of DIY before and after and you have the reason why 5k stayed away. When we put together a decent run we will have 22/25k back again.....

COYR

You missed 3.

Because if you thought Saturday was worse than Palace at home (1-4), you need your head examined - no offence - or are exaggerating for effect.

Maybe just a little ;). I was there, unfortunately, and I would say that they were similarities between the two games.

Saturday was the kind of dross we have served up for two decades on and off.

The difference is THIS time it's our home-grown kids still learning their trade.

Look inside yourself and tell me your mood has nothing to do with the inclement conditions and the many false dawns this club has experienced??

Not at all. For the first time in many years I don't feel very optimistic.

Vesting that in these kids is hardly their fault is it??

We were poor on Saturday. The previous home game we had shown flashes of exceptional football.

That's how it goes with kids.

I'll say it again. They are not kids, they are inexperienced footballers, but the main point is that the great unwashed are being asked to pay high prices to watch them learn their trade, and when they have they will be sold off to the highest bidder. It won't affect my support. I'm old enough to have seen it all before and I shall still be there through thin and thin. It's the 10,000 who have found other ways to spend their hard-earned pennies that we should start to be concerned about.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
spelling

I'll say it again. They are not kids, they are inexperienced footballers, but the main point is that the great unwashed are being asked to pay high prices to watch them learn their trade, and when they have they will be sold off to the highest bidder. It won't affect my support. I'm old enough to have seen it all before and I shall still be there through thin and thin. It's the 10,000 who have found other ways to spend their hard-earned pennies that we should start to be concerned about.

I agree, prices are the same regardless of the value of players on the park - which is something the club has to address.

But (and let's take the incumbent management out for a minute) this is a real catch 22. Drop prices and there is no guarantee of increased attendance.

And whether you call them kids or whatever, the point remains - they're ours for the first time in a long time and I'm glad you'll be there through thick and thin with them, as will I.

I fear though that we're like the boy who cried wolf at the moment and when we really know it's not another false dawn, maybe people will come back.

Me? It's never been about winning (albeit that's the preference) nor about quality of entertainment (albeit good football beats bad), it's about escaping real life for a few hours every week. It's nice to do that and see a team working for each other and caring passionately about doing the right things.

That's the reason I am so much more optimistic now than I was at this point last season when it was obvious that the manager couldn't give a hoot and had neglected his defence criminally. Contrary to popular belief I am not happy clappy by disposition... ;)