So Who's in and Who's out for QPR?

Arizona

-----------Davis

Cork Svensson Perry Surman

----Schneiderlin Gillett

Thomson-----------Holmes

---------McGoldrick

and...

Can I just ask, are we now looking to chop and change every game or are we looking for a consistant side?

Well, I personally was asking what needs to be changed (if anything IYO) to improve a side which has lost 3 out of 4 league matches.

What about the four/five raking 50 yard passes to Holmes??

You're right, we won't agree on this. All I will say is that he ain't gonna get more comfortable on the bench is he??

The difference being on the bench he can do whatever he likes without putting us at risk of conceding goals.

and...

Well, I personally was asking what needs to be changed (if anything IYO) to improve a side which has lost 3 out of 4 league matches.

I understand that Arizona but last season there was uproar when we doing the same and surely we should learn from our mistakes.The cup games you have to change, but in the main do you not think we STILL have the potential to do well.Or has the faith drifted away after 1 defeat in 3.

Dont get me wrong, Im concerned especially as yesterday will be seen as a relegation 6 pointer at the end of the season.

I do believe it is pertinent that 3 games in a week is draining to older pros let alaone a load of young players with the weight of expectation of winning and being in front of the cameras.

The difference being on the bench he can do whatever he likes without putting us at risk of conceding goals.

Better keep them all there and win every game then eh?

At what point do young players learn?

And if the manager accepts that we will learn as much from mistakes as victories, isn't that what building a young side is about??

I like the fact that I can see improvements in players and it's a fact that we didn't concede a single goal down the right side against Birmingham at home (twice). Yesterday he didn't fail second half to my view either.

But perhaps a spell on the bench will allow Thomas to prove he's a right back...????

LSC, you're forgetting the 8/9 raking 50 yard passes that went straight out of play.

Not to mention that god awful ball right at the end - WTF was that about?

Sclark you are normally a supportive poster and I find it unusual for you not to give the lad a chance.Thomas is not likely to be here next week anyway. I did hear he was off to the steel country with another high paid player but different clubs.

LSC, you're forgetting the 8/9 raking 50 yard passes that went straight out of play.

Not to mention that god awful ball right at the end - WTF was that about?

Yep, but two of them created clear goal-scoring chances. How many chances should we need?

Listen, the guy ain't the finished article, far from it.

But if we have a young team, they will feck up. That's what apprentices do.

We have to live with it, or stick another batch of journeymen in.

Tell you what, ther's this bloke, Jermaine Wright...

Sclark you are normally a supportive poster and I find it unusual for you not to give the lad a chance.Thomas is not likely to be here next week anyway. I did hear he was off to the steel country with another high paid player but different clubs.

I'll give him a chance, just not at RB. He is a defensive midfielder without the pace to play at fullback - if Burley had started playing him there people would be in an uproar.

James is my only complaint really. I'd rather we used Surman in midfield but I know there is no-one else.

I'll give him a chance, just not at RB. He is a defensive midfielder without the pace to play at fullback - if Burley had started playing him there people would be in an uproar.

James is my only complaint really. I'd rather we used Surman in midfield but I know there is no-one else.

I havent seen Cork and so dont know if he can play at rb.To me James played better at rb yesterday than he has in any other game.That to me means he is learning.

I understand that Arizona but last season there was uproar when we doing the same and surely we should learn from our mistakes.The cup games you have to change, but in the main do you not think we STILL have the potential to do well.Or has the faith drifted away after 1 defeat in 3.

Dont get me wrong, Im concerned especially as yesterday will be seen as a relegation 6 pointer at the end of the season.

I do believe it is pertinent that 3 games in a week is draining to older pros let alaone a load of young players with the weight of expectation of winning and being in front of the cameras.

I fully understand that these were difficult circumstances, especially for such a young team. However I personally can't just brush it under the "three games in a week and they're still learning" rug.

If there was uproar last season for changing the team, then it was because most of Burley's changes were for the worse, whilst at the same time he stuck with several baffling selections which clearly weren't working.

I would always pick the team I think is most likely to win the next match. If a player has performed poorly, for whatever reason, and we have a suitable replacement available, I am inclined to try him out.

Better keep them all there and win every game then eh?

At what point do young players learn?

And if the manager accepts that we will learn as much from mistakes as victories, isn't that what building a young side is about??

I like the fact that I can see improvements in players and it's a fact that we didn't concede a single goal down the right side against Birmingham at home (twice). Yesterday he didn't fail second half to my view either.

But perhaps a spell on the bench will allow Thomas to prove he's a right back...????

I'd let the players learn all the time. Letting them play for the first team however I think should be reserved for those that are ready. Can you honnestly say you'd rather have James in the team than Cork?

You seem to be forget that our side is made almost entirely of young players learning. DMG, Holmes, MS, Gillett, Lallana, even Surman. Whilst they seem to be coping very well, I think James and White are just a step too far.

You have to draw a line somewhere. You can't just stick a 23 week old foetus on the pitch and say he's young, he's still learning.

James is performing better and better, in my view. I think yesterday he was under the cosh more because he was having to do a lot of running for White and then Dyer (who hardly ever tracks back), because the defensive midfield weren't defensive enough and because Killer was repeatedly beaten for pace. I don't think anything is served by keeping him out of the game because he is learning all the time.

If we had a game next week I would, however, put Cork in for Killer.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we will have better results away this season.

Absolutely agree. We don't have a lot(!) of pace at the back. At home yesterday we played a high line and got caught. Away we'll play deeper at the back and stretch the play, giving more space to play our football. I think. Not having a UEFA pro Licence I don't really know what I'm talking about.

IMO

---------------------Davis

----James--------Svennson--Perry-------Cork

----------Schneiderlin-------Gillett

Lallana----------------------------------Holmes

------------------McGoldrick

---------------------Pekart

All of these are good suggestions, but I'd like to see:

Davis

Cork Perry Svensson Holmes (Don't ask, just a theory a friend has)

Schneiderlin Gillett Surman

McGoldrick Pekhart Lallana

I don't think this fits in perfectly with JP's philosophy and he is obviously the qualified one, but I just think that might work against QPR.

IMO:

------------Davis------------

Thomas--Cork--Perry--Surman

---------Schneiderlin---------

Lallana-----------------Holmes

---------DMG-----------------

----------------John----------

Subs: Bart, Killer, James, Wotton, Pekhart.

Wouldn't you like to play 11?

IMO:

Thomas--Cork--Perry--Surman

---------Schneiderlin---------

Lallana-----------------Holmes

---------DMG-----------------

----------------John----------

Subs: Bart, Killer, James, Wotton, Pekhart.

know squad is bit thin but think you are being bit optimistic if you think using 10 players for a game will see us through.

James is performing better and better, in my view. I think yesterday he was under the cosh more because he was having to do a lot of running for White and then Dyer (who hardly ever tracks back), because the defensive midfield weren't defensive enough and because Killer was repeatedly beaten for pace. I don't think anything is served by keeping him out of the game because he is learning all the time.

If we had a game next week I would, however, put Cork in for Killer.

Cork was good on the ground but didn't win a header v Birmingham, he would have been murdered by Burgess in the air.

---------------------Davis

----James--------Svennson---Cork------Thomas/Gillet/Mills

----------Schneiderlin-------Surman

Lallana----------------------------------Holmes

------------------McGoldrick

---------------------Pekart

Bench: Bart, Thieves, John, Wotton/Thomas

-------------Davis-------------

Cork--Svensson--Perry--Surman

----Schneiderlin--Gillett--------

-----------Lallana-------------

--DMG--Pekhart/John--Holmes--

From what I saw, DMG isn't a leader of the line, and would be far more effective as the right side of a front three with a stronger presence through the middle - this might be Pekhart if he's any good in training, or it might be John. Either way, both halves against Blackpool the right side looked ineffective both in defence and attack and needs attention, and there's no question in my mind that DMG is a more nimble and intelligent footballer than Dyer.

Lallana looks excellent to me and would hopefully profit from any additional space opened up by DMG and Holmes pulling wide and a more robust centre forward occupying the centre backs.

I'd go with something like:

- - - - - - - Davis - - - - - - -

Cork - Thomas - Perry - Surman

- - - Scheiderlin -Skacel - - - -

- Lallana - - McGoldrick - - Holmes -

- - - - - - Peckart - - - - - -

Skacel should be in the side. I see him being an excellent link between defence and attack alongside Schneiderlin, and McGoldrick plays well behind a penetrating striker and alongside Lallana. Let's hope the Czech lad does good, as his skills promise.

Thomas and Cork were excellent on Tuesday. They are the men for me. James is a bit light weight at present, and Gillett made too many mistakes on Saturday.

Thomas-Svensson-Perry-Surman

------------Cork---Gillett----------

Lallana--Skacel/Schneiderlin--Holmes

-------------McG/Pekhart-----------

My main suggestion is that I would like to see Cork moved into midfield, though that admittedly still leaves is stretched at fullback. He's looked excellent so far and a midfield role (which he filled at S****horpe) would give him more opportunity to influence a game. I also think he would give us more defensive cover - at times, our midfield has become too separated from defence, giving it too much work to do. Unsure if Schneiderlin is cut out for defensive duties; is much better going forward (it is no coincidence that JP has sometimes moved him into the hole). Skacel, if he's still around, might be another candidate - might bring a bit of experience and a decent shot when we start trying to overelaborate. Gillett has to start - his poor performance on sat was only a reflection of the fact that he needs a rest. Has been one of, if not out best player this season (see Cardiff/Derby) by breaking things up and providing support going forward. Surman, by contrast, is regressing everyday at left back (who else could play there??) and, more generally, we look weak whenever we come up against pace - bothroyd at cardiff; jerome against birmingham (thus Cork in midfield might give a bit more protection).

Finally, some people have been quick to criticise McG for not being in the box but remember, he's been asked to play as a lone striker while also being asked to drop deep to link up (and occasionally make tackles in his own box). Its not surprising that we when we break, there isnt always the support. John simply wont give you that movement to begin with. We'll see what pekhart does...

I agree with a lot of the ideas on here, but can't help feeling that if the team was selected by committee, it would be a very long meeting!

A good point made is that after losing 3 out of 4 league games change is needed, either by in the gameplan or by replacing the weakpoints. One-goal defeats don't suggest that the playing style is at fault, but weaknesses appear to be Killer and White, plus possibly both FB slots. JP has the break to sort this out, but I feel he's got to change at least 2 of the starting 11 without reverting to Burley-style juggling.

I'm not so worried about defense - yes they had a terrible second half when we were chasing the game, but they would never have been in that situation if we'd have taken our chances up front in the first half. Having said that I think Cork is too good a player to be sat on the bench and I'd bring him in at right back, not because of anything Thomas has done wrong, but becuase I'm sticking McGoldrick on the right and he's not going to help with defence as much (although he did do that superb tackle on Saturday).

I'd like to see Pekhart up front, he's a big lad and his scoring record suggests he knows how to finish (John just hasn't looked at the races so far this season).

-----------Davis

Cork---Perry---Svenson---Surman

-----Schneiderlin--Gillett

----------Lallana

-McGoldrick-------Holmes

---------Pekhart