• Perry
    • Svensson
    • Schneiderlin
    • Lallana
    • Holmes
    • McGoldrick
    • John
    • Dyer

Says who? You? LOL!!!! Some of you lot need to seriously climb out of your own arses, Everyone is ENTITLED to an opinion, not everybody has to agree with it, but all are entitled just the same. This is a message board, but some posters on here are seriously in need of help. Sod paying a fiver for this ****e. I'll stick to 3 posts a day. :smt076

Ahh, another Jonah and too tight to reply too... ;)

Ahh, another Jonah and too tight to reply too... ;)

honestly though, a fiver is nothing, if I 've paid everybody could pay. if they don't it's either on principle or because they just ain't interested. I have 2 kids at Uni (or the equivalent) we give them over a K a month and don't have a whole lot left, I paid me 5 all the same,if you can't or won't them that's your problem but never put it up as a reason;

h

How are people saying that Lallana was unlucky? he should have burried both of them. It was utter **** finishing that you would expect anyone who is playing Wessex league to score. You cannot waste chances like that, they need to be finished and he was not up to the job.

I can't beleive that people want to blame the officials...!!

That poor imitation of officiating the bloke in the middle is the same bloke (along with his fellow officials) who stopped us getting trounced 4 nil - by making the right decisions.

As for the penalty, I accept that you were there and I was not, however - the first time I saw it I thought it was a 'stone waller', Sky replayed it and it was still a 'stone waller', they then replayed it again - and strangly it was still a 'stone waller'. If that happened in our box and he didn't give it - I would love to see your argument then.

We had an off day, the lads tried hard, but go look at the MOTM thread - you only have to see the 'by a mile' leader to see that we never turned up at the races today.

Let's take it in good grace eh - put your hands up to Blackpool - but lets not blame the officials.

I admit that I haven't had the chance to see a replay of the pen yet, but my initial reaction, and that of those around me was that it shouldn't have been a penalty, yes, no doubt biased because of the colours I wear, and I'd probably have wanted a penalty if roles were reversed (in fact I DID on at least one occasion, that wasn't given), but that was how I saw it without a replay at the time. I felt that we played good football in the first half and deserved to go into half time in front, especially as it felt like if we'd have scored one of those two that were cleared off the line the game would have opened up with Blackpool having to come after us.

Once the penalty had been given of course, the ref could do very little right in the eyes of the crowd, including me, I'm pretty sure all the goals that were disallowed were disallowed by the linesman, so that didn't help him much. added to that was the perception that other decisions were going against us (bookings that weren't deserved for our players, Blackpool players 'getting away with it' plus the old favourite of deciding to pull back for a free kick to us when advantage would have seen us get a shot off at goal, etc.)

That along with Blackpool taking their undeserved (as I saw it at the time) lead and playing with 11 men behind the ball, trying to catch us on the break, as well as time wasting right from the start of the 2nd half added to the frustration that saw me make that initial post.

On reflection, I still feel like we'd have gone on and won if we'd have taken either of those goal line clearances, but we didn't so we didn't deserve to win. Maybe we could have scraped out a draw from the 2nd half on another day but that wasn't to be either.

As for not blaming the officials... I reserve the right to blame the officials, the weather, and even the flipping kitman if I feel like they contributed to lost points ;) Whatever happened to blindly following your team and believing they were the best in the world no matter what! :D

Disappointing, I wasn't there today because of my job, but was at Derby, which was an incredible performance of passing and movement. Could someone tell me how it went wrong today please?

As a benchmark I was doing pitchside camera at the Wolves v Forest game today and the Wolves first half performance was quite frankly stunning, the best footballing performance from a championship side i've seen in eons. Top 2 for them this season.

My only concern with Saints at Derby was the lack of a finisher, we really should have won by more. The formation seems to lack players getting into the box, was that an issue today. I was so proud of our performance last week :(

I admit that I haven't had the chance to see a replay of the pen yet, but my initial reaction, and that of those around me was that it shouldn't have been a penalty, yes, no doubt biased because of the colours I wear, and I'd probably have wanted a penalty if roles were reversed (in fact I DID on at least one occasion, that wasn't given), but that was how I saw it without a replay at the time. I felt that we played good football in the first half and deserved to go into half time in front, especially as it felt like if we'd have scored one of those two that were cleared off the line the game would have opened up with Blackpool having to come after us.

Once the penalty had been given of course, the ref could do very little right in the eyes of the crowd, including me, I'm pretty sure all the goals that were disallowed were disallowed by the linesman, so that didn't help him much. added to that was the perception that other decisions were going against us (bookings that weren't deserved for our players, Blackpool players 'getting away with it' plus the old favourite of deciding to pull back for a free kick to us when advantage would have seen us get a shot off at goal, etc.)

That along with Blackpool taking their undeserved (as I saw it at the time) lead and playing with 11 men behind the ball, trying to catch us on the break, as well as time wasting right from the start of the 2nd half added to the frustration that saw me make that initial post.

On reflection, I still feel like we'd have gone on and won if we'd have taken either of those goal line clearances, but we didn't so we didn't deserve to win. Maybe we could have scraped out a draw from the 2nd half on another day but that wasn't to be either.

As for not blaming the officials... I reserve the right to blame the officials, the weather, and even the flipping kitman if I feel like they contributed to lost points ;) Whatever happened to blindly following your team and believing they were the best in the world no matter what! :D

I admire your passion even though your arguments are about as watertight as the Titanic on her maiden voyage. We got done by a team that worked harder - they worked hard to make those goal line clearances - no use beefing about it and no use blaming the ref.

The ref may have been a little pedantic at times - the drop ball incident was a bit of a laugh, but then again - it wasnt really the refs fault - blame the dickhead that threw the second ball onto the field - somebody in the crowd I think.

We will have to agree to disagree about the pen though - like I said, the first time I saw it it was a stonwaller - and nothing changed for me after 2 replays - thats life - you win some, you loose some - we were live on Sky - perhaps we should of known the outcome...!!!

A definite penalty, but the ref missed the Centreback pushing McGoldrick in the back, making him collide with the goalkeeper and stopping him reaching the ball,, just before BPL cleared off the line from Lallana. I saw it at the time and it was highlighted by the commentators on Tv, which I watched when I got home.

I haven't read through all the posts, so I'm probably repeating the obvious. Very, very disappointing after seeing them at Derby, who got beat again today, so that may say something. I didn't think the passing was up to standard today, we seemed to overelaborate and eventually lose the ball. Centre midfield didn't show as much as I'd hoped. I'm a fan of Schneiderlin, but he didn't do himself justice, why did he insist on the long crossfield ball to Holmes that only found his man once or twice. And as the bloke near me said DMc had a good first half but was largely anonymous after the break. Full credit to Blackpool though, they must have come with a game plan that worked, they looked dangerous throughout. I'll be there at QPR though.

Certain posters ie Scooby are said to be trolls and even said to be Pompey fans.Wheras some posters come on feeding off bad results or fears to intentionally bait people when the frustration is that the height to tell us a player who has been a talisman may have got injured again or try and move the position that they were right by taking a few posts and using those as chapter and verse. I would be more inclined to believe that they are more likely to be Pompey fans trying to twist the knife.

There are lots of depressives in the population but there are some posters who try and make a negative of everything. In my time posting from Saintsforever to the present time some have been anti the club/manager/chairman EACH AND EVERY TIME. It is a pattern that disturbs me and so we should be aware that some posters find it a game to come on to wind up the majority of fans.

It is very easy to throw a grenade in amongst a lot of passionate fans whose blood is up to get them up in arms and create arguements. It in turn makes them a celebrity and in a sad way to have a little fame in a very small forum as they are mentioned many times.Its almost a craving for a recognition in life. Thankfully on the lounge a Skate has disappeared and has been replaced by one who has humour and humility. I had hoped the same would have happened on the main board.

I dont think the ref had a bad day in the main.I did object to the fact they people have written books quicker than they did subs. There was only 4 mis added time (not that it would have made any difference) but Hammil took over a minute to get off the pitch let alone the subs.

Saints lacked a bit of motivation and conviction. The contrast in performances from last weekend and tuesday night was quite different.

Yes we were poor and Blackpool had sussed out a way of exploiting the back line well. Hope Jan will learn from this.

Also I hope the team learned that they will have to do more other than turn up as thats what it seemed like to me.

Certain posters ie Scooby are said to be trolls and even said to be Pompey fans.Wheras some posters come on feeding off bad results or fears to intentionally bait people when the frustration is that the height to tell us a player who has been a talisman may have got injured again or try and move the position that they were right by taking a few posts and using those as chapter and verse. I would be more inclined to believe that they are more likely to be Pompey fans trying to twist the knife.

There are lots of depressives in the population but there are some posters who try and make a negative of everything. In my time posting from Saintsforever to the present time some have been anti the club/manager/chairman EACH AND EVERY TIME. It is a pattern that disturbs me and so we should be aware that some posters find it a game to come on to wind up the majority of fans.

It is very easy to throw a grenade in amongst a lot of passionate fans whose blood is up to get them up in arms and create arguements. It in turn makes them a celebrity and in a sad way to have a little fame in a very small forum as they are mentioned many times.Its almost a craving for a recognition in life. Thankfully on the lounge a Skate has disappeared and has been replaced by one who has humour and humility. I had hoped the same would have happened on the main board.

I don't get wound up by them which makes it easy to retaliate, they in the main have no trouble dishing it out, they however are vulnerable when rattled. Especially when the last thing they do is go to the matches. Their posts are meaningless, because they have no idea, and only select posts that support their prejudices as the theme.

I don't get wound up by them which makes it easy to retaliate, they in the main have no trouble dishing it out, they however are vulnerable when rattled. Especially when the last thing they do is go to the matches. Their posts are meaningless, because they have no idea, and only select posts that support their prejudices as the theme.
Derry we have had many run ins but at no time have I taken it personally but understand it is down to either of our opinions. Not to deliberately to wind each other up. Others need to have back what they give and so when a weak spot is found some not only whine and moan about Saints but they moan and whine to the admins that it is not fair.

I find it highly amusing that there is a small group of posters on here who have appointed themselves as some sort of "crusading force" that immediately jumps on the posts, or posters that dare to post critical or negative items post-match. They use attendance, or stupidity/psychological imbalance, amongst a wide range of items, to try to discredit the individuals involved.

They do not know the individuals involved, yet they dismiss them or besmirch them in the most personal and disgraceful manner.

Mods, a question : I have got the impresssion from a couple of one-on-ones with some of you the last few weeks that you welcome open discussion from various perspectives. Do you chaps realise quite how abusive and intolerant certain parties are becoming on here ? I resent being accused of having a range of psychiatric disorders just because I dont agree with Poster X or Poster Y. Those that are more critical of the team are clearly not resorting to the levels of abuse that those who applaud everything that happens in red-and-white (or grey, or yellow) are...

This is all about confidence and can you take your chances. The young team has never experienced going behind at all in competitive games. If we take our chances in the first half, we should have won it. If we didn't concede the penalty so late in the first half, we should have drew the game.

Strange statement as we lost our first 2 games. You can't lose without going behind!

Derry we have had many run ins but at no time have I taken it personally but understand it is down to either of our opinions. Not to deliberately to wind each other up. Others need to have back what they give and so when a weak spot is found some not only whine and moan about Saints but they moan and whine to the admins that it is not fair.

Yeah ? You personally abuse me on about every post I make. I'd like you to tell me when I last abused you in such a personal manner.

Oh, the sheer hypocrisy of your sermons about dishing it out and not taking it...

All any one can do at the moment is take each game as it comes and modify one's assessment accordlingly. Saturday's match rather devalues last weeks's results against Derby and Birmingham and leaves me at any rate with the impression of a rather brittle team. A previous comment about "all flash and no substance" is a little harsh but it nonetheless does carry a grain of truth. All teams end up playing to the personality of their manager so we should have a better idea by the end of the month if JP has the necessary mental strength and staying power for this division.

Yeah ? You personally abuse me on about every post I make. I'd like you to tell me when I last abused you in such a personal manner.

Oh, the sheer hypocrisy of your sermons about dishing it out and not taking it...

Where was I talking about you then? My post was a general observation about the constant negative posters who wish to undermine the majority of fans.

If the cap fits I suppose.

I myself believe your accusation is mentally upsetting and abusive and a crusade against me. It needs to be looked at.

Where was I talking about you then? My post was a general observation about the constant negative posters who wish to undermine the majority of fans.

If the cap fits I suppose.

I myself believe your accusation is mentally upsetting and abusive and a crusade against me. It needs to be looked at.

Whatever, keep playing your games, keep taking the piiss. In a way, you've confirmed for me the amount of respect you demonstrate to other opinions.

I respect all fans opinions when they are balanced and fair and not knee jerk.

Well, you dont then.

You are making judgements as to how they have arrived at that opinion. My opinion is my opinion, its none of your business how I have arrived at that and it is arrogant for you to judge that.

Oh God, it's still going on. I thought everybody might have sobered uo by this morning and got back to discussing the game as opposed to each other's psyhological quirks.

We played badly we lost. Previous two games we played well and won. Two games before that we played well but lost. Such is the season. I've no doubt we will play well and win again enough times to finish in a respectable position.

Oh God, it's still going on. I thought everybody might have sobered uo by this morning and got back to discussing the game as opposed to each other's psyhological quirks.

We played badly we lost. Previous two games we played well and won. Two games before that we played well but lost. Such is the season. I've no doubt we will play well and win again enough times to finish in a respectable position.

Not to worry, I'm off. I'm bored with this too. I'll leave the final word to someone else.

Well, you dont then.

You are making judgements as to how they have arrived at that opinion. My opinion is my opinion, its none of your business how I have arrived at that and it is arrogant for you to judge that.

Thats 2 abusive posts at me in a row.This is outrageous.

fair summary. I hope yesterday was an off day for two key players, if so this team will still win more than lose, if it was a case that the other games were them over-performing then it will need addressing. Early days and still happy and enjoying the season.

no just 2 people at different ends of the spectrum.DD what are your thoughts about Plymouth this season are they going to be scrapping with us at the top or bottom. (im not sure about us)

plymouth will be struggling for two reasons...they have crap players with an even more crap manager..

I do chuckle when I see people claiming luggy would have been great here...

he has never been good above league 1....

plymouth will do well NOT to go down....

plymouth will be struggling for two reasons...they have crap players with an even more crap manager..

I do chuckle when I see people claiming luggy would have been great here...

he has never been good above league 1....

plymouth will do well NOT to go down....

I find that interesting and know you have your finger on the pulse down there. Is PS having any stick from the fans?

I find that interesting and know you have your finger on the pulse down there. Is PS having any stick from the fans?

just look on the PASOTI webiste and see for yourself..

(PASOTI is the plymouth version of this place)

luggy seriously think BWP will cure his lack of goals and get them into play off contenders...

he is under alot of pressure from plymouth fans, yes he has sold alot but he had got in more than 10 players (all his choice) so it his now his team NOT ollies like last year...

bear in mind, alot of fans are turning on him and he is their greatest manager of all time...:o

whilst we argue about getting 18k or so for a home game they are getting under 10k..that for a city the similar size to southampton with a MASSIVE catchment area.....

It's annoying having one up front as McGoldrick isn't really up to it, he plays far too deep and then when we go to cross there is no-one in the box and he is bimbling towards goal 30 yards away.

Also when he does get in the box, he hasn't got a clue, more than a few times he just stood there and didn't use any positional sense or attempt to attack the ball.

He looks good on the ball but cuts in and shoots when surrounded by players too much.

The penalty was a penalty. The Blackpool player milked it because he knew that White was going to be hasty and challenge him. He made sure that White would clatter him so it was clever from him. If it had been the other way round and not given then we'd have gone mental.

As for the game, i thought we tried to do the right things but we just lacked the energy and composure needed to overcome a well organised defence. Blackpool played their cards perfectly and should have won by more although all of the disallowed goals were correct decisions. This match showed that we're vulnerable against big teams at the set piece and against sides that break at pace which probably isn't surprising but Jan needs to work out how we're going to improve on this.

It's great that Killer is back but unfortunately (and entirely undrstandably) he's lost a bit of athleticism which resulted in Burgess dominating. Perry meanwhile wasn't quick enough to beat Kabba to the second ball. Surman did ok but I don't think he's a natural defender and would rather he played in midfield where his class will be shown better. Thought Gillet didn't do enough today so potentially should be dropped and replaced by Surman.

Oh dear evidence of winning one one header per game - two of those with his arms all over the opposition doesn't constitute evidence to the contrary of my assessment. He was also - for the record very slow on the ground too!

This is not to say we didn't have a few problems all over the pitch - we obviously did. The culmination of his slowness was personified with the way their attacker just strode by him by the six yard area and KD made a fantastic save onto the post. Take the historical blinkers off and make a judgement based on hard evidence of performance this year and you will come to the same conclusion as lots of others including me that he needs more time before he is ready to perform at this level.....

Very disappointing game - was expecting so much more. This match for me confirmed my belief that it will be the coach that determines whether we have a good or bad season. I think the players have it in them, but if the coach has no idea how to react to a team such as Blackpool we will end up losing more than than we win...probably many more and face relegation despite playing pretty football for some of the game. Welcome to the CCC Jan - you need to up your game or watch your young team lose a lot of faith and confidence.

It was a frustrating game in that someone at Blackpool had done their homework on us and stopped us flowing.

What really ****ed me off and I hope someone in the management team has spotted it on the tapes was the showboating from our players while we were trying to get a goal back, one of which from our young French starlet will probably turn up on Soccer AM next week, McGoldrick tried (and failed) exactly the same trick 5 minutes when he would have been better just launching it at the goal. By all means showboat boys but save it for when you are 4-0 up with 2 minutes to go not when you are a goal behind!! FFS.

Of course the cunning plan could have been with the TV cameras there to keep admiring eyes off our nippers................. Somehow I don't think so!

Still we are only 4 games into the season, Sunderland lost their first 10 games a few seasons ago yet still got automatic promotion.

Didn't go. Had a feeling it would go bottom up after all the euphoria this week. Went to The Emirates instead. Arsenal were poor but nowhere near as bad as Newcastle. I have seen two of this year's relegation teams already, Newcastle and West Ham and both are clueless sides in free-fall, lots of long ball stuff that Saints USED TO PLAY. We'd have beaten both Newcastle and Arsenal on our last Tuesday's showing - but obviously not yesterday's!

It was a frustrating game in that someone at Blackpool had done their homework on us and stopped us flowing.

What really ****ed me off and I hope someone in the management team has spotted it on the tapes was the showboating from our players while we were trying to get a goal back, one of which from our young French starlet will probably turn up on Soccer AM next week, McGoldrick tried (and failed) exactly the same trick 5 minutes when he would have been better just launching it at the goal. By all means showboat boys but save it for when you are 4-0 up with 2 minutes to go not when you are a goal behind!! FFS.

Of course the cunning plan could have been with the TV cameras there to keep admiring eyes off our nippers................. Somehow I don't think so!

Still we are only 4 games into the season, Sunderland lost their first 10 games a few seasons ago yet still got automatic promotion.

Check the manager's comments. He clocked it...

Looking back on the game from the perspective of Monday morning, there are two things that stick out for me.

(1) That Steve Kabba (Blackpool Striker) appeared to be a constant threat. In the first half he was regularly first on the ball, and the OS confirms it was Kabba who had the ball for 2 of the 3 disallowed goals. Was this - regrettably - down to Killer, as per the thread on MS's performance which I agree was pretty dire?

(2) Both DMG and Lallana did well but when Saints got a shot on goal, it was generally through a packed area. Defenders stopped at least two goals if not more. Was this because Blackpool defended well, or was it down to the slowness of Saints buildup giving Blackpool time to get everyone back?

My view is that the first half we were unfortunate to be behind, on another day we'd have been 2-0 up. That said, White needs at least a season of reserve games to be ready at CCC level and was very naive for the penalty. Blackpool murdered us in the second and only some wonderful saves from Kelvin kept it at 1-0. If McG had scored at the end, it would have been very welcome but a travesty!

Davis - 9.5 and MOTM - Probably his best display for Saints, the 2-one handed saves in the second half were stunning

James - 5.5 Good effort but struggled Vs a revitalised (and fit) Hammill. Harshly booked IMO

Surman 5 - Not a left-back and a silly early booking

Svensson - 6 Not his best game V Burgess

Perry - 6.5 Read the game well but poor performances around him. Lack of height is a problem at set-pieces

Gillett 4 - Out of character for our pocket battleship, great passes to Blackpool players and awful foul for his booking

Morgan S 5 - Ineffective

Holmes 7.5 - 3 superb first half crosses that should have resulted in the keeper being worked. McGoldrick and John at home please to start JP!

White 3 - Didn't notice he was there until naive penalty. Will come again but too raw for the first team

Lallana 8 - Technically IMO the best player on either side. Please get him on a new contract Rupert!

McGoldrick 7.5 - Fitter and stronger this season but still needs to work on his option selection. Would be even more of a handful alongside John

Subs - Dyer 7 - pace worried Blackpool and did well

John 7.5 - a threat and should have been on much earlier

Wotton - 5.5 Lost shape when he came on

JP - one request please. When we are 1-0 down please put McG up front as a two with with Lallana behind.

The match on Saturday showed the reality we face.

We have no pace up front and it really shows. As any other team than Saints perfected the art of hitting the post or having shots cleared off the line better than Saints

Nathan Dyer is a complete waste of space and it is pointless to play him. He cannot go past a man and put a decent ball into the box.

McGoldrick cant do it on his own. Maybe Jan should put a dollop of mustard up McGs arse like they do with slow greyhounds.

Blackpool deserved their win.

I taken no pleasure in saying to the "Lowes Strategy Vindicated "boys that we will face teams that play us like Blackpool too frequently.

Lets hope our loan striker is really good .Goodness knows we need someone who can put the ball in the net.

I lost count of the number of times they put the ball in the back of our net

My view is that the first half we were unfortunate to be behind, on another day we'd have been 2-0 up. That said, White needs at least a season of reserve games to be ready at CCC level and was very naive for the penalty. Blackpool murdered us in the second and only some wonderful saves from Kelvin kept it at 1-0. If McG had scored at the end, it would have been very welcome but a travesty!

Davis - 9.5 and MOTM - Probably his best display for Saints, the 2-one handed saves in the second half were stunning

James - 5.5 Good effort but struggled Vs a revitalised (and fit) Hammill. Harshly booked IMO

Surman 5 - Not a left-back and a silly early booking

Svensson - 6 Not his best game V Burgess

Perry - 6.5 Read the game well but poor performances around him. Lack of height is a problem at set-pieces

Gillett 4 - Out of character for our pocket battleship, great passes to Blackpool players and awful foul for his booking

Morgan S 5 - Ineffective

Holmes 7.5 - 3 superb first half crosses that should have resulted in the keeper being worked. McGoldrick and John at home please to start JP!

White 3 - Didn't notice he was there until naive penalty. Will come again but too raw for the first team

Lallana 8 - Technically IMO the best player on either side. Please get him on a new contract Rupert!

McGoldrick 7.5 - Fitter and stronger this season but still needs to work on his option selection. Would be even more of a handful alongside John

Subs - Dyer 7 - pace worried Blackpool and did well

John 7.5 - a threat and should have been on much earlier

Wotton - 5.5 Lost shape when he came on

JP - one request please. When we are 1-0 down please put McG up front as a two with with Lallana behind.

Err, two contracts in a week??

Oh well, it was obviously all my fault again. If you see me posting anything about the result in a prematch build up thread just shoot me. Seems I got it pretty accurate, if the linesman had not had any balls I would have been spot on.

dubai_phil

Full Member Join Date: Nov 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear, it'll all go wrong.

Sorry guys couldn't help myself, but my two sons are in town and we've decided to go and watch the game in the pub (Goodfellas Jay has a table booked at his namesake) and I'm dragging my abusive non saints mates with me to show them the revolution...

So in keeping with my quality prediction record that means we'll be crap, won't string two passes togther, will play hoofball and lose 0-4........

But then just to help out, decided to get the weather report in early. The weather here today is nice, the summer heat has moved on and it is a pleasant 36C with lower than expected humidity and a reasonable on-shore breeze keeping things pleasant.

Good to see it is sunny in Blighty as well

(Ok so really Come on Saints, I've had to take sh*t down here for YEARS. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the Sky curse be banished along with the doom and gloom of the last few seasons!)

That was a bit of a reality check for the more delusional on this forum but I'm sure the young lads will learn.

We really need Stern John up front preferably with McGoldrick. Expecting a young lad to lead the line on his own is too much. As soon as SJ came on we had presence up front, up till that point we were powder-puff.

Was also surprised at how slow the defence was, Blackpool weren't exactly fast going forward but they still managed to cut through our rearguard with ease.

Blackpool definately deserved to win and we need to learn ASAP as they are typical of what we are going to face this year.