Greatest Ever Saints Scorer?

paulwantsapint

BT but after STEVE MORAN IMO

Moran and Boyer just sniffed opportunities to score out of nothing. As did Pahars.

Channon and Davies for knowing their goal scoring jobs with others about them.

Edited by TopGun

Another generation linked question I guess, but even then.. Stokes must've been quite something to have been considered better than the truly awesome Le Tissier. Everyone has their favourites upon growing up, once a generation there will be a player that everyone remembers as one of the greatest - and I'm truly blessed to have been the right age to have witnessed Le Tissiers entire career, to have seen its fledgling steps as a young lad, all the way to that last goal at the Dell. Just.. unbelievable.

I mean, come on. Legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUt5CQPyWzs

:D

First time I've seen that. Brilliant. He's a true fan.

3 goals against the Skates. Not a massive total, but has any Saint actually scored more?

I know of one each for Pahars, Dodd, Phillips, Blackstock, Oakley, Crouch, Moran and Camara.

I think Jim Magilton scored 2 against them in an FA Cup game at the Dell. He nearly had a hat trick when he should have passed the ball to someone in a better position but went for glory and failed!:)

I liked Beattie when he was with us but for us oldies :-) I don't think he comes remotely near the 'greats' like Ron Davies, Mick Channon, Phil Boyer, KK, MLT,or Steve Moran.....

....for me it's probably got to be big Ron because he was the first, but all the above gave great enjoyment over the years. Nothing has been quite the same since.

What about us poor sods who had the pleasure of going regularly watching Branfoot's team?

I do think Beattie was a great Saints player - but one more season would have seen him revered more. We can't forget Crouch and Phillip's contributions either.

Tell us more about Phil Boyer - I'm ignorant.

It's a good job you are not your Lord and Master's accountant. 2 + 2 = 5

Feel free to carry on trolling....

Difficult to see past the like of Ron Davies, Terry Paine, Mick Channon and MLT for me. Beattie did his bit but to include him in the 'greatest' alongside the above? Sorry, not for me.

I agree. Beattie had his golden spell but to mention him in the same breath as those you've named is laughable IMO. (I can only assume Scooby is a lot younger than I assumed.) Beatts isn't fit to polish Mick Channon's boots.

Can I just mention, if not already done (I haven't finished reading the whole thread) that with regards scoring against Pxmpey, Mick scored 3 against them at The Dell in ONE game 75/76 and then the last minute winner at FP in the same season.

Vey honourable mentions from my years of watching to Moran and Keegan too who can be counted in the all time greats. Too young for Reeves and O'Brian etc but amidst these names and others Beattie wouldn't even make a top 10. IMO.

Oh, so you were one of those idiots who booed him then.

Come off it - you obviously know sweet FA. Beattie the greatest? Doesn't figure in the top 20 I'm afraid.

Using your vast knowledge, put forward an arguement as to why he is better than, say, Martin Chivers for example.

3 goals against the Skates. Not a massive total, but has any Saint actually scored more?

I know of one each for Pahars, Dodd, Phillips, Blackstock, Oakley, Crouch, Moran and Camara.

Mike Channon scored 4 goals agaist them in 1975/76 season alone.

This included a hat trick at home and last minute winner at Fratton days after we won the semi final against Palace, which prompted the start of an almighty scrap at the Milton Lane end of Fratton park.

Can't remember who scored the previous season when we beat them 2-1 both home and away

Sorry EFM didn't notice you'd repied with same answer already, would like to know who scored goals in 73/74 season though got a feeling that Ossie scored at lease one at the Dell and i'm certain that David Peach scored at Fratton that season and also scored in that 4-0 win too.

What about us poor sods who had the pleasure of going regularly watching Branfoot's team?

I do think Beattie was a great Saints player - but one more season would have seen him revered more. We can't forget Crouch and Phillip's contributions either.

Tell us more about Phil Boyer - I'm ignorant.

I think we can quite easily foget Crouch and Phillips contributions.