Dell characters

Antrimsaint

Hi guys, was a season ticket holder in West stand during the 93-95 seasons and can remember an old Irish character in the seats behind me whenever events were going badly would grimly shout “ there’s clouds comin in over the dell” regular as clockwork it was. Anyone else remember him? Always raised a smile in me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tall, skinny lad, with dark hair, who used to stand under the chocolate boxes in the late 70s and try to take on every group of away fans that got into the Milton, single -handed. I particularly remember him trying to break through a police cordon to attack a group of about 50 Millwall fans. I used to see him on his own standing at platform one at Southampton Central Station after games. I think he came from Eastleigh. He'd be about 60 now and possibly posts on here, for all I know.

Beardy, under the East Stand, late 80's and early 90's

Was it the East stand? I can’t remember but his name was beardy was it? His timing was perfect. He would also shout MERRINGTON!!! Randomly

Was it the East stand? I can’t remember but his name was beardy was it? His timing was perfect. He would also shout MERRINGTON!!! Randomly

it was Under the East, on the terrace. Not sure he said much, always at the front and we were behind him and used wear a hat. We used to bundle him when we scored and tried to get his hat. Pathetic behaviour to be honest.

Under West Stand Bench seating there used to be a very distinguished looking gentleman with pure white hair and one of those handlebar mustaches. Never really said much but had a real bee in his bonnet about Peter Shilton. I dont think he ever forgave him for Poland's goal in the 73 World Cup qualifyer. Every single time there was a cross into the area anywhere near where Shilton should have come out for it he would suddenly bark "England goal keeperrrrrrrrrH" and you wouldnt hear from hi again until the next cross into the box :lol:

Hi guys, was a season ticket holder in West stand during the 93-95 seasons and can remember an old Irish character in the seats behind me whenever events were going badly would grimly shout “ there’s clouds comin in over the dell” regular as clockwork it was. Anyone else remember him? Always raised a smile in me.

I don't remember him saying 'their is clouds comin in over the dell' but I do remember a loudish Irishman. There was also a chap that used to be constantly shouting in an irate voice "FORWARD MAGILTON"

What happened to that very round youthful chap that was always being filmed gyrating around when we first moved to St Mary's?

Steve Bull? I saw him on the Jeremy Kyle show several years ago, although I heard he’s lost loads of weight and got himself a woman.

Back very early 70s, there was some old geezer on the Milton terracing who liked a bit of loud industrial language who was affectionately known as ‘The Vicar’

Did not all of the Milton use loud, industrial language in those days? Even the kids in the choccy boxes. You certainly didn't take your girlfriend in there. West Stand for those odd occasions.

Did not all of the Milton use loud, industrial language in those days? Even the kids in the choccy boxes. You certainly didn't take your girlfriend in there. West Stand for those odd occasions.

He was certainly not the only one but he stood on his own, reasonably restrained most of the time but would suddenly burst into a mouth-frothing tirade

:)

Steve Bull? I saw him on the Jeremy Kyle show several years ago, although I heard he’s lost loads of weight and got himself a woman.

He was known as Bully, though I'd always assumed that was because he was a dead ringer for Jim Bowen's cartoon mate off Bullseye.

He was certainly not the only one but he stood on his own, reasonably restrained most of the time but would suddenly burst into a mouth-frothing tirade

:)

Ah right, someone reasonably restrained then . The rest of the Milton seemed to just let off steam for the 2 hours or so that they were there of a Saturday. A marvelous escape valve for the pressure built up in a stressful week at work. But that was then and now 98% of the Milton faithful would be turfed out by the stewards before half time.

I don't remember him saying 'their is clouds comin in over the dell' but I do remember a loudish Irishman. There was also a chap that used to be constantly shouting in an irate voice "FORWARD MAGILTON"

Used to hear this quite regularly in the old East Stand as well from a bloke. Nice old boy, but the games were often played to the sound of him yelling " forward Magilton...." or "not bloody sideways Magilton..." and as the game progressed " oh, Jesus Christ, NO !!" . In a particularly bad season JC was the most often mentioned name you'd hear from him.

He lost a load of weight, now lives in Wales I think with his mrs.

Used to hear this quite regularly in the old East Stand as well from a bloke. Nice old boy, but the games were often played to the sound of him yelling " forward Magilton...." or "not bloody sideways Magilton..." and as the game progressed " oh, Jesus Christ, NO !!" . In a particularly bad season JC was the most often mentioned name you'd hear from him.

It all added to the pantomime. There was another guy who when somebody passed to Benali would yell out "don't give it to their danger man!"

I knew Tony and his deaf mate Dave who used to pull all the birds ! anyone remember the 'ladies' of the early 70s bovver days ! Pat Lovelock ? I went out with her and when I gave her the flick . She kicked me in the goolies and left me laying on the ground in agony outside Woollies in Above Bar !

I knew Tony and his deaf mate Dave who used to pull all the birds ! anyone remember the 'ladies' of the early 70s bovver days ! Pat Lovelock ? I went out with her and when I gave her the flick . She kicked me in the goolies and left me laying on the ground in agony outside Woollies in Above Bar !

Don't know the name you mention but there was certainly a breed of 'bovver girl' in the 1970's that I certainly haven't heard my sons talk of in their school years (thankfully). I was at school in Reading mid-70's and there was one girl who followed Reading home and away. Talking to a couple of the lads in the school football team who I thought pretty hard at the time and when her name was mentioned they said "christ, I wouldn't want to get into a scrap with her, seen her on the terraces...".

There may well have been others but the ‘Dockers Gate’ I’d heard of was certainly under the East.

And remember well the Millwall incident, we were watching from the Archers terrace, one of the Millwall flashed a blade around but never heard of anyone being stabbed or slashed, but they backed out before the OB got involved.