Club Accounts

The Cat

Still paying for the ineptitude or clueless Les. If absolutely anyone still thinks it would be better if we were to go down and we’d win a lot more games and have more fun I seriously suggest you look at these accounts and just how ****ed we would be.

Still paying for the ineptitude or clueless Les. If absolutely anyone still thinks it would be better if we were to go down and we’d win a lot more games and have more fun I seriously suggest you look at these accounts and just how ****ed we would be.

Ross “transfer guru” Wilson also carries a lot of blame

Shows how fortunate we were that Koeman guided our incoming transfers in our summer of rebuilding and that other clubs didn't outbid us. Swap Tadic, Pelle and Mane for whoever Les and Ross would have gone for and we'd have been screwed.

Shows how fortunate we were that Koeman guided our incoming transfers in our summer of rebuilding and that other clubs didn't outbid us. Swap Tadic, Pelle and Mane for whoever Les and Ross would have gone for and we'd have been screwed.

Les and the hierarchy were beyond lucky with Koeman. Pelle, VVD, Tadic, Mane, Toby... Simply epic recruitment. Then look what we did with selling and replacing those players.

He was without doubt the best manager we've had in recent times. Rebuilt an entire squad and fan morale, and got saints playing so well i never feared any team and usually expected a result.

Then he fell out of favour with our egotistical boardroom monkeys and the rest is history.

Les and the hierarchy were beyond lucky with Koeman. Pelle, VVD, Tadic, Mane, Toby... Simply epic recruitment. Then look what we did with selling and replacing those players.

He was without doubt the best manager we've had in recent times. Rebuilt an entire squad and fan morale, and got saints playing so well i never feared any team and usually expected a result.

Then he fell out of favour with our egotistical boardroom monkeys and the rest is history.

Alternatively... Saints offered him a huge contract, Everton offered him an even bigger contract and he left.

Alternatively... Saints offered him a huge contract, Everton offered him an even bigger contract and he left.

“The main reason was that we did not agree about my last year of contract,” Koeman told the BBC.

“I mentioned to the club I would like to continue and go into my last year, then during the season we would have time to discuss about the future.

“There was no way for the club to do that, they came with the new offer and I was really disappointed about the offer to continue in Southampton.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Soccer/EnglishPremiership/poor-contract-offer-behind-southampton-exit-says-koeman-20161117

There was friction between him and the board, and it was a chance to move him on, get paid for it, and not have the club look like the bad guys. Again, standard operating procedure for the club at that time. Just like with every other player than left the club over that period. Always negative PR released to the media.

Koeman's points are fully legitimate, and its well known that he wanted to see commitment and ambition from the club, and maintain flexibility to move to Holland or Barcelona. They couldn't just admit that they lacked ambition and/or didn't want to delay for his final contract... The board just decided they wanted him out, painted him as a money grabber and even spreading rumours about lack of youth team utilisation etc... it was an absolute farce retrospectively given we then hired Puel (:mcinnes:) (binned my season ticket off because i could not face paying to watch that ****), MoPe, and Hughes... not to mention the huge bloated squad of older players that we've tied around our necks and built with the wasted sales of our greatest modern team in nearly 40years.

We were ultimately failed by that board. Absolutely hamstrung us at arguably the most exciting time in our history. Worse than Lowe for me. At least he built the academy and stadium. That lot took a superb and bonded squad, dismantled it to remove any semblance of the previous regime, then got very lucky with Koeman and his signings.... but then stripped that squad bare for whatever inept reasons, and took us from the verge of champions league football to relegation contenders in 1 season whilst also crippling us financially despite the Mane and world record VVD sales. Its beyond inept. Imagine if saints actually go bust due to the lockdown. The blame can only lay with that board.

“The main reason was that we did not agree about my last year of contract,” Koeman told the BBC.

“I mentioned to the club I would like to continue and go into my last year, then during the season we would have time to discuss about the future.

“There was no way for the club to do that, they came with the new offer and I was really disappointed about the offer to continue in Southampton.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Soccer/EnglishPremiership/poor-contract-offer-behind-southampton-exit-says-koeman-20161117

There was friction between him and the board, and it was a chance to move him on, get paid for it, and not have the club look like the bad guys. Again, standard operating procedure for the club at that time. Just like with every other player than left the club over that period. Always negative PR released to the media.

Koeman's points are fully legitimate, and its well known that he wanted to see commitment and ambition from the club, and maintain flexibility to move to Holland or Barcelona. They couldn't just admit that they lacked ambition and/or didn't want to delay for his final contract... The board just decided they wanted him out, painted him as a money grabber and even spreading rumours about lack of youth team utilisation etc... it was an absolute farce retrospectively given we then hired Puel (:mcinnes:) (binned my season ticket off because i could not face paying to watch that ****), MoPe, and Hughes... not to mention the huge bloated squad of older players that we've tied around our necks and built with the wasted sales of our greatest modern team in nearly 40years.

We were ultimately failed by that board. Absolutely hamstrung us at arguably the most exciting time in our history. Worse than Lowe for me. At least he built the academy and stadium. That lot took a superb and bonded squad, dismantled it to remove any semblance of the previous regime, then got very lucky with Koeman and his signings.... but then stripped that squad bare for whatever inept reasons, and took us from the verge of champions league football to relegation contenders in 1 season whilst also crippling us financially despite the Mane and world record VVD sales. Its beyond inept. Imagine if saints actually go bust due to the lockdown. The blame can only lay with that board.

The club reportedly offered him £120k p/w according to the Telegraph. It was a huge amount in world football, not their fault Everton offered even more.

The club reportedly offered him £120k p/w according to the Telegraph. It was a huge amount in world football, not their fault Everton offered even more.

It wasn't about the money, read the posts and stopped being fooled by media rubbish planted by Reed and co to paint Koeman out to be the money grabber.

That is absolute disingenuous bullsh it from Koeman, as was obvious to everyone at the time.

We were never going to let him go into his final season running his contract down, it would have been utter madness and people like you would have been moaning like hell about why we were "dithering" and not tying him down earlier etc etc.

His stock was as high as it had ever been and he got a great offer. From us. And then Everton offered more.

The bizarre thing is there is no evidence that if he'd have stayed that we would have been on some unstoppable march to the Champions League. He was absolutely dogsh it at Everton and spunked money on garbage. With more power at SFC he could have been equally dreadful in subsequent seasons.

It wasn't about the money, read the posts and stopped being fooled by media rubbish planted by Reed and co to paint Koeman out to be the money grabber.

The clubs propaganda around that time was hilarious, seem to remember loads of digs towards Koeman about not using the academy and how Puel would reopen the pathway to the first team for the likes of Hesketh, Sims, Gallagher and Reed.

That is absolute disingenuous bullsh it from Koeman, as was obvious to everyone at the time.

We were never going to let him go into his final season running his contract down, it would have been utter madness and people like you would have been moaning like hell about why we were "dithering" and not tying him down earlier etc etc.

His stock was as high as it had ever been and he got a great offer. From us. And then Everton offered more.

The bizarre thing is there is no evidence that if he'd have stayed that we would have been on some unstoppable march to the Champions League. He was absolutely dogsh it at Everton and spunked money on garbage. With more power at SFC he could have been equally dreadful in subsequent seasons.

For players who are worth anything that's always true (Clyne being an obvious example). No club wants to lose a decent transfer fee for a player running out his contract. But there's not much financial reason to worry about a manager running down his contract (I doubt compensation for him leaving for Everton was significant). Of course if the manager is crap it's a bonus if some mug takes him off your hands (Whisky George, thank you Scotland). Or if a decent manager loses interest or goes off the rails and does his best to get sacked (Mourinho). RK got a better offer and the club wasn't willing to back him. My guess if Everton hadn't come in he would've run down his contract.

For players who are worth anything that's always true (Clyne being an obvious example). No club wants to lose a decent transfer fee for a player running out his contract. But there's not much financial reason to worry about a manager running down his contract (I doubt compensation for him leaving for Everton was significant). Of course if the manager is crap it's a bonus if some mug takes him off your hands (Whisky George, thank you Scotland). Or if a decent manager loses interest or goes off the rails and does his best to get sacked (Mourinho). RK got a better offer and the club wasn't willing to back him. My guess if Everton hadn't come in he would've run down his contract.
We would never have done that: for one the fanbase would be in deranged meltdown (sleeping on the job/dithering/caught napping/clueless/amatuers/give the man what we wants/etc). Two, it would have dominated every press conference and post-match for months. And for three the club would not have ceded that much power to the manager. So he would have signed a 1 year rolling contract, signed the deal we offered (or a similar one) or left. And he left.

The Koeman situation is so simple.

He had an amazing season and wanted to see ambition for the club to push on what had been achieved.

But what is evidently clear, is that we don't/didn't have the financial backing to match that. So he left for a club that he felt did (who also gave him a massive contract).

Been a few redundancies from what I can gather on Twitter - combination of Coronavirus and poor financial results taking its toll I presume

any links - had a quick search on Twitter and couldn't see any

The Koeman situation is so simple.

He had an amazing season and wanted to see ambition for the club to push on what had been achieved.

But what is evidently clear, is that we don't/didn't have the financial backing to match that. So he left for a club that he felt did (who also gave him a massive contract).

That's the way I see it.