Worst Performance by an Otherwise Competent Player

Lighthouse

It’s easy to slag off the no-hopers but what were the worst ‘surprisingly’ bad performances you remember. The rule is they have to be relative to average performances that season, so for example Le Tiss putting in a 20 minute cameo in his final season, when he wasn’t even close to fitness, wouldn’t count.

I’ll set the ball rolling with Fabrice Fernandes at Highbury. I can’t remember another player ever being dragged off after 25 minutes, with Saints already 5-0 down. Whilst he wasn’t solely responsible, that was pretty bad.

Not 100% but im thinking Bertrand when we played West ham, simply awful

This and Lemina in the semi-final against Chelsea (as stated above) both immediately sprang to mind as well.

Bertand wasn't alone in that game though - it was our second trip to West Ham, not long after Hughes had taken over and the effort was pathetic from nearly all of them.

I recall Lemina in the SF against Chelsea having gone to ground in front of our end, he wasn't injured but just couldn't be bothered to get up. In that moment we're one game away from an FA Cup final, the game's not completely beyond us and he behaves like that - still makes me angry.

Lemina, semi final against Chelsea. Even by his standards that was truly dire, especially in a match I thought he might actually turn up for (Wembley, semi-final, shop window etc).

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/04/22/southampton-fans-react-on-twitter-to-mario-leminas-semi-final-di/

Pound for pound, the worst individual footballing performance I have ever seen.

Agreed. Absolutely shocking performance. Just not interested at all.

A really frustrating player. There is no doubt in my mind that he has the quality in him to be one of the best midfielders in the league; I saw him absolutely play Pogba off the park at home to Manchester United. But his attitude will prevent him from reaching anywhere near his potential. We've seen a few of those over the years at SFC (Gaston, Osvaldo ..) I guess if they did have the right attitude they wouldn't have come to Saints :)

Niemi v The Skates at Fratton in 2005.

One of the rare occasions where he made some really daft errors.

Can't think of a better example. Niemi was usually a rock. Reliable and commanding, never put in a bad performance. Then there was the horror show that he gave us at the worst possible moment. Such a low point.