Half Empty

Weston Super Saint

Half full?

Crowd was 19416. I make that 94% of capacity. Not bad considering Newcastle sent some of their tickets back.

Let's think and see if we can find someone a bit closer to home for you who are genuinely seeing their stadium being less than half full, shall we? :D

We're cr@p, in a bad league, and doing s**t- Low attendances.

You're good, in the best league, and doing well- Slightly higher attendances but not that great.

Congrats.

Half full?

Crowd was 19416. I make that 94% of capacity. Not bad considering Newcastle sent some of their tickets back.

Let's think and see if we can find someone a bit closer to home for you who are genuinely seeing their stadium being less than half full, shall we? :D

...which were then offered to home fans.

No matter how you dress it up you skates could only muster less than 18,000 home fans, surely all those others than are gonna fill your new stadium (oh...) could have snapped up those seats?

Top-half-Prem/Cup winners/Europ(...oops, forget that one)/crest-of-a-wave-side = 18,000 fans

Bottom-end-of-the-league/worse-period-in-living-memory/losing-at-home-most-weeks-side = 15,000

...what's more shocking?

Still 94% full though. I think the usual rule of thumb is that if you're regularly selling more than 80 or 85% then you could use more capacity. And better catering and sanitation too I should think.

Anyway, Tony Adams won't stand for any nonsense.

Yesterday at half time he caught a couple of fans climbing over the stadium wall.

He was furious. He grabbed them by the collars and said,

"Now you just get back in there and watch the game till it finishes."

...which were then offered to home fans.

No matter how you dress it up you skates could only muster less than 18,000 home fans, surely all those others than are gonna fill your new stadium (oh...) could have snapped up those seats?

Top-half-Prem/Cup winners/Europ(...oops, forget that one)/crest-of-a-wave-side = 18,000 fans

Bottom-end-of-the-league/worse-period-in-living-memory/losing-at-home-most-weeks-side = 15,000

...what's more shocking?

I don't think either are shocking. The facts your crowds are falling are what I'd expect given your position and lack of investment. It's exactly what I always pointed out about the crowds we got when we were in the lower divisions with Deacon and then the Gregory's not investing and selling any decent players we had. No doubt if you continue to lose/ get relegated your crowds will fall even further - as ours did. Then if you get a modicum of success (challenging for promotion etc) they'll go up again. Looking at Pompey across 24 seasons from 1980 (all but one of which was spent outside the top flight) we averaged crowds of around 13,000. I'd suggest that a few more years with a lack of success will see you getting crowds of a similar size.

I don't think either are shocking. The facts your crowds are falling are what I'd expect given your position and lack of investment. It's exactly what I always pointed out about the crowds we got when we were in the lower divisions with Deacon and then the Gregory's not investing and selling any decent players we had. No doubt if you continue to lose/ get relegated your crowds will fall even further - as ours did. Then if you get a modicum of success (challenging for promotion etc) they'll go up again. Looking at Pompey across 24 seasons from 1980 (all but one of which was spent outside the top flight) we averaged crowds of around 13,000. I'd suggest that a few more years with a lack of success will see you getting crowds of a similar size.

Good post actually Corp. Do you think that you will be subject to a firesale in the window or will one big player - probably Diarra as there seems to be a clause in his contract - will sacrificed along with 4-5 fringe players? Or do you think that more of the biggest earners - Campbell, Defoe, Crouch, Distin, will have to go?

Good post actually Corp. Do you think that you will be subject to a firesale in the window or will one big player - probably Diarra as there seems to be a clause in his contract - will sacrificed along with 4-5 fringe players? Or do you think that more of the biggest earners - Campbell, Defoe, Crouch, Distin, will have to go?

I've been told that Pompey's financial situation is nowhere near as bad has been suggested by the media. Gaydamak sold his stake in one of his other companies for £35m recently (Antanta Pioglobal if anyone wants to look it up) so while he won't want to use all of that cash on PFC it gives him some breathing space if it's needed in an emergency.

Don't see a firesale happening in Jan. Diarra will be off, the only question is to who. I was told that Man Utd had bid £16m for him (they failed with a £12m bid back in the summer) but that Man City are willing to go to almost £20m to get him if they need to (!) but Real Madrid are supposedly showing interest now at around £20m so we should make a decent profit on him wherever he goes. There might be a shock move for Sol Campbell to Newcastle if they'll match his wages and that would be fine with me. Gets two of the highest earners of the wage bill and Kaboul's looked good when hes played. The only other one I can see leaving is maybe Johnson. Spurs have of course been linked but I've heard that Benitez is interested. Would be hard to turn the move down for him if that happens.

Not much news on replacements for anyone who's interested but we're definitely interested in Orlando Engelaar (Dutch midfielder who plays for Scahlke) and also Patrick Viera.

I've been told that Pompey's financial situation is nowhere near as bad has been suggested by the media. Gaydamak sold his stake in one of his other companies for £35m recently (Antanta Pioglobal if anyone wants to look it up) so while he won't want to use all of that cash on PFC it gives him some breathing space if it's needed in an emergency.

Don't see a firesale happening in Jan. Diarra will be off, the only question is to who. I was told that Man Utd had bid £16m for him (they failed with a £12m bid back in the summer) but that Man City are willing to go to almost £20m to get him if they need to (!) but Real Madrid are supposedly showing interest now at around £20m so we should make a decent profit on him wherever he goes. There might be a shock move for Sol Campbell to Newcastle if they'll match his wages and that would be fine with me. Gets two of the highest earners of the wage bill and Kaboul's looked good when hes played. The only other one I can see leaving is maybe Johnson. Spurs have of course been linked but I've heard that Benitez is interested. Would be hard to turn the move down for him if that happens.

Not much news on replacements for anyone who's interested but we're definitely interested in Orlando Engelaar (Dutch midfielder who plays for Scahlke) and also Patrick Viera.

Diarra was in Hamble Satuday night living it up.

(Or he may have been staying at someone's house, i don't know)

So, have you reached your natural 'highest' attendance level then?

Also, how's the takeover coming along? Announcement is tomorrow isn't it?

It's not just Pompey that have terrible support.

Villa could only get 35,000 for their match with Bolton, despite being in the top 4, scoring loads of goals and being in the 2nd most populous city in the nation. Brummies are either tight or skint, as B'ham City get **** poor attendances too.

If we were in Villa's position we'd get 40,000+ easily if we had the capacity (and that's not Pompey speak, I actually think that's realistic).

Perhaps the pre match shopping trip for the whole of the Newcastle squad at west Quay spurred them on.

Strange sight apparently,all tracksuited up,including Joe Kinnear strolling around the shops.

"Right, who's the manager? You're a ****ing ****, you are."

I think you're over estimating the attraction of Bolton to be fair.

If we were 4th in the league we would easily sell out St Mary's every game and proably hit 40,000 for most of them IMO.

We'd certainly get more than 35,000 anyway.

Anyway... back to the main point of the thread... what a grubby little club.

They were staying at one of the hotels,i pressume it was the De Vere.

Got this info from my ma and pa who were shopping.

Dad spoke to Kinnear and wished him luck for the match,he said he stood out like a a sore thumb.

I can't believe they didn't stay in Portsmouth!

Maybe we aren't the only ones who think it is a sh1thole :shock: